Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/15/2017 8:09 am  #1

Rene Castro-Caneddy

As we approach the first 1/3 of the season Castro-Caneddy is my choice for the most improved player. Rene has gone from a seldom used sub to one of the main players on this team.

His 13.2 scoring average and 4.2 assists per game stats hardly tell the story on this combo guard who can break out and score in the high twenties when needed and more importantly get the rock into the stars ( Lewis II or Eric Williams , Jr) hands to let them do their magic.

Coach likes this man and starts him, has built his confidence and I am one fan who looks to Rene to drive and dish/ or score at critical points in the games.

And of course he plays tough defense, as all Dukes are required to do.

Good Luck for the rest of the season to this new leader, along with his running mates in Smith and Lewis II.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/15/2017 8:12 am  #2

Re: Rene Castro-Caneddy

Rene has been fantastic so far. I didn't notice until Coach D mentioned it in a press conference, but Rene is a really good on-ball defender. He always stays in front of his man. Really happy for him. He's earned the right to have a good senior season.

12/15/2017 8:49 am  #3

Rene's ball handling skills are not at the level of a point guard, which is the position he has to play this year given our roster. Despite this he avoids turnovers. His outside shooting is either hot or cold. On the positive side, his assists are at a high level and his ability  to get to the hoop is superb. I agree he has improved significantly this year. 

12/15/2017 9:05 am  #4

Phildog wrote:

As we approach the first 1/3 of the season Castro-Caneddy is my choice for the most improved player. Rene has gone from a seldom used sub to one of the main players on this team.

His 13.2 scoring average and 4.2 assists per game stats hardly tell the story on this combo guard who can break out and score in the high twenties when needed and more importantly get the rock into the stars ( Lewis II or Eric Williams , Jr) hands to let them do their magic.

Coach likes this man and starts him, has built his confidence and I am one fan who looks to Rene to drive and dish/ or score at critical points in the games.

Good Luck for the rest of the season to this new leader, along with his running mates in Smith and Lewis II.

Rene wasn't a seldom used sub last year though. He averaged 19 minutes a game, and was much improved from his awful sophomore year.

12/15/2017 9:46 am  #5

Thank goodness Rene stuck with the Dukes this year. While he might not have had many great opportunities to jump ship based on past performance, we would surely be in trouble without his talents.

12/15/2017 10:13 am  #6

duq81 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Rene wasn't a seldom used sub last year though. He averaged 19 minutes a game, and was much improved from his awful sophomore year.

I was looking at him from his beginning of eligibility , but last year's play to this year's seems almost night and day. Gone are the periods of endless head down dribbling regardless of his minutes to one of purpose to score or create scoring opportunities.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/15/2017 10:22 am  #7

I agree. He's had one bad game, although it had to be the EP game.

12/15/2017 2:17 pm  #8

pressurecooker wrote:

Rene's ball handling skills are not at the level of a point guard, which is the position he has to play this year given our roster. Despite this he avoids turnovers. His outside shooting is either hot or cold. On the positive side, his assists are at a high level and his ability  to get to the hoop is superb. I agree he has improved significantly this year. 

I wonder if it's just a matter of Rene"s handle being different than most other point guards .

12/15/2017 4:41 pm  #9

WashPaRick wrote:

pressurecooker wrote:

I wonder if it's just a matter of Rene"s handle being different than most other point guards .

I agree Rick, his ball handling is just fine although not the same as some other point guards who use a lot of quickness to blow by defenders.  Rene uses his body very well to protect the ball and doesn't get picked.  He isn't bothered by ball pressure, and simply takes his time to get the ball into the offensive zone.  He may have an "old man's game" but it works. 

12/16/2017 5:54 am  #10

Interesting what a leader be it a parent, teacher, older sibling or coach, who willingly buys in to us, will bring out of us.  Rene's two biggest mistakes: misfortune of Stevens leaving for Celtics and misfortune to play under a virtual dolt @ DU.  And then, Keith Dambrot arrived.....

Board footera