Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2018 11:38 am  #76

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens

...and I say that acknowledging that only a few days ago I predicted that the Dukes might compete for one of the league's precious NCAA bids.

I'm proud of what the Dukes had accomplished in their first eighteen games — they briefly made a believer out of me — but this could still be a bitterly long winter.

They were atrocious last night, appearing to play with little inspiration.

The struggle now will be to avoid what has become a traditional late-season collapse — an unfortunate yet recurring circumstance cemented as part of the Duquesne basketball program during the once-hopeful Everhart years.   

Last edited by IronDukes12 (1/18/2018 11:39 am)

1/18/2018 12:17 pm  #77

Don't believe that history has to necessarily repeat itself. Different coach, different year, and certainly some different players. As KD said after the game, flush this one down the toilet! I have confidence that this team can move forward and have a better record that we have seen since RE's 19 wins in his next to last year.

1/18/2018 12:23 pm  #78

Let's all keep in mind "reasonable expectations".  Thus far I would argue we've exceeding what most of us thought we could achieve up to this point.  Now that we are were we are the schedule will get very difficult after the next two games.  We need to protect our home court and win the next two.  Thereafter our least difficult game will be Fordham at home in February.  If we can win 4 more games and get to get to 17 in season wins, although I would hold out hope for more, I think it would be hard to argue that we didn't make significant progression in KD's first year.  Now a couple points about the St. Lou game.  When our guards can't break down a player pretty quickly (RC and TS primarily), we need to move and share the ball quickly.  Everyone needs to keep moving and working the ball until you get a better open look.  Standing on the perimeter or at the top of the key and dribbling and then desperately driving to the hoop are not a good recipe for success - especially on the road.  I believe Tydus will develop an effective O game by the time he's a junior, but right now we are starving for O out of our 4 position and KD knows this.  Next year will be more interesting.  Also next year you can have the kid from Miami of Ohio and Williams at the 3 so there would be good depth there.  It will be interesting to see what KD does with the PF next year as he recognizes he needs some scoring from that position.  We can't win, especially on the road, when our big combo gets a total of 3 points and 2 or 3 rebounds.  Regrettably, CB is a fouling machine and I don't think that is going to change at this point.  Anyway, we let St. Lou take it to us last night physically and when that happens and you shoot 32.8% from the floor you are not going to win many games.  Let's make GM pay on Saturday.  Go Dukes!!

1/18/2018 12:25 pm  #79

IronDukes12 wrote:

...and I say that acknowledging that only a few days ago I predicted that the Dukes might compete for one of the league's precious NCAA bids.

I'm proud of what the Dukes had accomplished in their first eighteen games — they briefly made a believer out of me — but this could still be a bitterly long winter.

They were atrocious last night, appearing to play with little inspiration.

The struggle now will be to avoid what has become a traditional late-season collapse — an unfortunate yet recurring circumstance cemented as part of the Duquesne basketball program during the once-hopeful Everhart years.   

Nice example of fair weather fan, plus what are others making up stories of folks transferring especially a freshman just finding his way playing out of position.
Just watch the rest of season, I don’t think there is anyway KD will become J Ferry.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/18/2018 12:36 pm  #80

Peaks and valleys. 
I trust the process.
Looking forward to a good crowd Saturday and a bounce back by the guys.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

1/18/2018 2:33 pm  #81

Tough game.  Appears the effects of the 3 OT game may have carried over.
Challenge for KD and the team is the next game at home against George Mason.
A winneable game.  If we lose to GM, I begin to wonder if the February swoon has
already started.

1/18/2018 2:48 pm  #82

PistolPete wrote:

Let's all keep in mind "reasonable expectations".  Thus far I would argue we've exceeding what most of us thought we could achieve up to this point.  Now that we are were we are the schedule will get very difficult after the next two games.  We need to protect our home court and win the next two.  Thereafter our least difficult game will be Fordham at home in February.  If we can win 4 more games and get to get to 17 in season wins, although I would hold out hope for more, I think it would be hard to argue that we didn't make significant progression in KD's first year.  Now a couple points about the St. Lou game.  When our guards can't break down a player pretty quickly (RC and TS primarily), we need to move and share the ball quickly.  Everyone needs to keep moving and working the ball until you get a better open look.  Standing on the perimeter or at the top of the key and dribbling and then desperately driving to the hoop are not a good recipe for success - especially on the road.  I believe Tydus will develop an effective O game by the time he's a junior, but right now we are starving for O out of our 4 position and KD knows this.  Next year will be more interesting.  Also next year you can have the kid from Miami of Ohio and Williams at the 3 so there would be good depth there.  It will be interesting to see what KD does with the PF next year as he recognizes he needs some scoring from that position.  We can't win, especially on the road, when our big combo gets a total of 3 points and 2 or 3 rebounds.  Regrettably, CB is a fouling machine and I don't think that is going to change at this point.  Anyway, we let St. Lou take it to us last night physically and when that happens and you shoot 32.8% from the floor you are not going to win many games.  Let's make GM pay on Saturday.  Go Dukes!!

Good post buddy.  I was a little concerned that there might be an emotional let down after the 3OT win on Saturday.  I like what KD had to say after the game.  Definitely have to let it go and refocus for George Mason.

With respect to next year.  We will be 3 deep at all positions and then some.

PG  Smith D-Martin Wade 
SG  Lewis F.Hughes Randall
SF Williams Weathers Taylor 
PF Verhoeven Bizeau Kelly Krivacevic
C  Swingle Rotroff Hughes Kratholm

Assuming everyone except Taylor is on scholarship KD will have to shed three player to get to scholarship limit. I had heard that one of the players we thought was on scholarship is actually paying his own way.  If that is true that means at least two players will transfer.  But I digress.  My real point is that when some of the negative Nellies start with the "same old Duquesne" comments remember this is a rebuilding year, and an amazing rebuilding year at that.  This team has grit and while they are not going to win them all I look forward to see them bouncing back against GM.  Go Dukes!

1/18/2018 3:05 pm  #83

CLK, I believe that Harper told one of our board member's that kratholm is on academic scholarship and at least one of the other guys is paying his own way. Once in a while you get lucky and get a player from a well-off family. I remember louisville's two best players paid their own way a few years ago. One was JR Smith's younger brother and the other's father was a brain surgeon.

1/18/2018 4:50 pm  #84

CLK wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Good post buddy.  I was a little concerned that there might be an emotional let down after the 3OT win on Saturday.  I like what KD had to say after the game.  Definitely have to let it go and refocus for George Mason.

PG  Smith D-Martin Wade 

Assuming everyone except Taylor is on scholarship KD will have to shed three player to get to scholarship limit. I had heard that one of the players we thought was on scholarship is actually paying his own way.  If that is true that means at least two players will transfer.  But I digress.  My real point is that when some of the negative Nellies start with the "same old Duquesne" comments remember this is a rebuilding year, and an amazing rebuilding year at that.  This team has grit and while they are not going to win them all I look forward to see them bouncing back against GM.  Go Dukes!

Patience is called for, and will be next year as well, when we will have depth up front, but not much experience. A winning record this year would be a fantastic result. Talk of at large bids was just a pipe dream.

1/18/2018 6:11 pm  #85

We have to worry about this year. This is our problem.. we look so for so much promising help but what if the transfer guys don’t help us like we plan them too? Let’s trust our guys this year first before we worry about next year. Soon as we play one bad game we start to worry and make a lot of assumptions. Everyone in here has seen almost every College basketball team have a bad game. It’s natural. We didn’t come to play last night. I don’t think Dambrot got out coached either.. if u noticed they went 1-3-1 back into man almost everytime. Just an adjustment they will fix.

1/18/2018 7:06 pm  #86

CLK wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

PG  Smith D-Martin Wade 

KD likes to spread the floor and usually has a PF who can hit the 3....a starter or someone who is a main rotation guy.  Weathers will play a lot at 4.  Hughes has nice touch at 5 and can pass.  Don't worry about experiance...the transfers have that.  They even train with the team now...it won't take long for the team to gel next year.  TV stays...he would have benefited from a redshirt but he is gaining invaluable experiance playing.  The biggest gains are made in the off-season and I expect him to be light years better next year.  He has talent.

What I noticed from watching Duq play is they are not a really good passing team yet (and limited inside...but that will come with more talent and bodies).  They seem to pass after they can't do anything with it.  Down the road they will pass with purpose and move the ball much quicker.  The bigs will also be part of that passing.  KD likes to work from the inside out....that is not possible right now.  I am sure KD wants to win 20 games as it will make recruiting far easier in the future but I doubt that he will sacrifice development to win a few more games.  This is a development year...they are doing great.  From where I sit....the future looks great at Duq (and ahead of schedule)

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/18/2018 11:09 pm)

1/18/2018 7:36 pm  #87

I agree with you 100%

1/18/2018 8:34 pm  #88

True, last night was a clunker and hard to watch at times. With the exception of URI and Davidson, every team in conference has had at least one absolute clunker. 

There are no straight lines in revolutions, and the cultural change that KD (with the assistance of Mr. Harper and support of Dr. Gormley) is bringing to the basketball program is nothing short of revolutionary. I wish we won last night as well, but I feel no worse about the team today than I did on Tuesday. 

The difference between today and last year is that I don't expect that the next game will be just more of the same with a wish for a different outcome. I expect that this game will be used as a learning experience and that win or lose our team will continue an upwards trajectory. Not all at once... but upwards.

1/18/2018 10:13 pm  #89

To me, one of the bonuses of the Dukes playing well is the increase in members posting and quality of the messages on this board. These do make me a more astute basketball and Dukes fan. Not limited to just these folks, but thanks rosceaux, PistolPete, Dsnyder15 for the insights in your posts above.

1/19/2018 10:23 am  #90

Thanks Phoenix, a lot of the posters here have watched a lot of basketball over decades and we have some of the younger guys chiming in now as well - which is great.  I wanted to reiterate what CLK said regarding this year being a "rebuilding year".  That is absolutely on point and I too think it is irritating when naysayers argue same old Duquesne.  Frankly, the same old Duquesne was put to rest when Dr. G, God Bless him, made the commitment to the program.  It all stems from the top and when you have leadership you can hire the right people and pay them competitively.  I had posted earlier that if everyone was realistic we would all acknowledge that KD has already exceeded first year expectations - and I think most of us see this.  The schedule and road games do get significantly more difficult, but if we protect our home court and possibly pull one out on the road I can certainly see us winning 18, maybe 19 games before the tournament.  Keep the faith, GO DUKES!!!

1/19/2018 10:37 am  #91

Attended Coach's radio show last night at the Red Ring. Although not specifically related to the St. Louis thread, I think it spoke volumes as to Coach's comment about his perception of the talent level of the teams of the A-10, excepting Rhode Island.  He sees the teams as on par with each other and on any night anyone can beat anyone.  The results so far bear him out except for maybe Fordham's results.  He puts R.I at a level a little above the rest of the league.  He says protecting the home court advantage is a must for the rest of the year.  He put no number on W's expected the rest of the way.  His aim is to win them all one at a time!!  Gotta love this guy.  Next live show at the Red Ring is Feb. 14, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. Come on down and bring a friend.  He and his staff are extremely engaging people.    There is a show on January 25, 2018 (7:00 p.m.)  at the Palumbo but it will be  a broadcast only show without admission.  Shows are on 970 a.m.

Last edited by grammudder (1/19/2018 10:38 am)

1/19/2018 11:26 am  #92

As far as the support of the AD and the President, did you see President G. directing the band last week vs. LaSalle?  Great to see someone involved.  I know that the President of the Bonnies has been involved and for those of you my age, Father Mac used to walk around academic walk and talk to everyone.  

Last edited by FAM (1/19/2018 11:27 am)

1/19/2018 11:26 am  #93

@gram

Out of curiosity, who is the host of Coach's show this year?

1/19/2018 11:28 am  #94

Does anyone know what happened to the sponsorship of Dean Honda?  He was a huge supporter, sat on the floor, and was always cheering.  I don't know if he got ticked when Ferry was fired or he just put his advertising in other places.

1/19/2018 11:53 am  #95

CLK wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

PG  Smith D-Martin Wade 

Look's like a lot of talent at SG and SF. I got a feeling that Weathers is going to be a good one.

1/19/2018 12:01 pm  #96

I have heard that, despite only being 6'5", weathers can really bang down low. He looks very strong. Sounds like he could be a bill clark-type player, which if you paid attention during the everhart years, should excite you greatly. Bill was awesome.

1/19/2018 12:20 pm  #97

Weathers is a 4 man

1/19/2018 12:32 pm  #98

[b][b]Out of curiosity, who is the host of Coach's show this year?[/b][/b]  [b][b] [/b][/b] [b][b]Today 1:28 pm[/b][/b][b][b] [/b][/b][b][b]#94[/b][/b][b][b][b]FAM[/b][/b][/b][b][b][b]Moderator[/b][/b][/b][b][b]Offline[/b][/b] [b][b]Registered: 11/12/2012[/b][/b][b][b]Posts: 833[/b][/b][b][b]Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens[/b][/b][b][b]Does anyone know what happened to the sponsorship of Dean Honda?  He was a huge supporter, sat on the floor, and was always cheering.  I don't know if he got ticked when Ferry was fired or he just put his advertising in other places.[/b][/b] To answer these, the host of the radio show is Tab or Tad (Don't know his last name.  He assists Ray Goss and JD with the men's broadcasts and does the women's audio on streaming.)   As to the Dean Honda guy, that is Mike Vozza.  I believe he has some family matters on a 24/7 basis that are more important than his presence at the Dukes games right now.  but there are other dean Honda personnel at all the games. 

1/19/2018 12:43 pm  #99

Tad = Tad Maury. Alex's partner on WBB and football broadcasts.

1/19/2018 1:14 pm  #100

Just in passing Rick, not only will we have more depth next season but a mixture of talent at each position.  Guys who are built to bang and play defense and guys who are more offensive players.  For example Bizeau is a guy who is a guard who grew to be 6'11". He needs to develop and grow into his body to be able to be effective on the boards but can surely give us a mobile 4 who can score.  He had 39 points the other night on a variety of shots and showed why some touted him as a 4 star recruit.

https://twitter.com/QuakerSports/status/953446785237872640

Board footera