Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2018 7:47 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Richmond Spiders

the tie dye guy was Randall I think, maybe F Hughes.  He also covered it up by the end of the game(maybe cause he was going outside, IDK).  Golden was mouthing off to our guys too.  He's a goon.  But he's someone DU needs to get used to seeing, him, Lindsey Buckingham and Sherrod could be there a while.

1/25/2018 7:52 am  #52

Phildog wrote:

My only fear is that this team will go the way of the 11 conference game winning streak team who lost at Bona and fell apart.

Some times the guards revert to Ferry Mode and shoot threes from everywhere.

Eric Williams, Jr is a blue chipper but much needed help are transfers and recruits, not the rest of returning team.

Tonite they fought back but couldn’t finish, just like Ferry’s teams.

Coach kind of addressed the issue of the guards in the press conference after GMU. He said that they are having to do much more than he would like since the team has no consistent low post scoring threat. Essentially we always have at least two players on the floor who aren't threats to score. That's a major issue because if two or three of the four guards are having off days, we are in trouble.

Losing this game was a backbreaker IMO. Our upcoming schedule is not very friendly. The boys need to buckle down. Even though we snuck out those two multi-OT games, we haven't played a good game since Fordham. Hopefully we are due for a good game here soon.

1/25/2018 7:58 am  #53

Gotta get one out of the next 4.  StBona here or at GW would be best chances.  Saturday at URI and at Dayton dont look promising.

After that tho, the last 6 games, i think all could be Ws.  

A 10 win A10 season would be really nice IMO.  And with the way the conference is going, that might be 2nd place.  Who knows.

Not sure what Krivacevic is doing wrong in practice to not get 5-10 minutes of action.  Chas Brown is awful.  Kriv, I believe, could be a source of offense, and play the 4, I believe.  But I am not a coach, or not at practice, so I know less than most.

1/25/2018 8:16 am  #54

Brown pretty much brings nothing on the offensive end. He might score once out of ten passes thrown to him. I'd use him to bang some bodies but I wouldn't try to feed him too much. It's either a turnover, missed shot or he get's fouled and misses the free throws. He was 1 for 2 on behind the back passes. He does play hard though and maybe it will click before the seasons over.

Last edited by duq81 (1/25/2018 9:33 am)

1/25/2018 9:33 am  #55

WashPaRick wrote:

Brown pretty much brings nothing on the offensive end. He might score once out of ten passes thrown to him. I'd use him to bang some bodies but I wouldn't try to feed him too much. It's either a turnover, missed shot or he get's fouled and misses the free throws. He was 1 for 2 on behind the back passes. He does play hard though and maybe it will click before the seasons over.

Brown is very limited. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be here. TV will really need to work on his offensive game this summer if he wants to hold on to his minutes next year. You just can't beat good teams with a guy who basically gives you nothing on one end of the floor.

1/25/2018 9:36 am  #56

Nothing mush new to offer but just wanted to chime in about last night's game. First, we were bound to lose an overtime game or at least a close one at some point. This team battles back when even I thought the thing was over when we were down 45-30. There is no quit in this team which is a direct reflection of KD no doubt. It must be totally frustrating to him as well as the fans to see virtually no offensive capability in the blocks. Absolutely none! All I can think about is next year when things should even out a bit offensively. Until then, we are what we are and we just need to keep battling which I believe we can all count on. Let's pull a big upset this weekend!

1/25/2018 10:15 am  #57

duq81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Brown is very limited. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be here. TV will really need to work on his offensive game this summer if he wants to hold on to his minutes next year. You just can't beat good teams with a guy who basically gives you nothing on one end of the floor.

Brown was at a community college in Fl, then a C C in Baltimore then Coppin State in Baltimore in a conference not loaded with good bigs. He really is showing his flaws in A-10 play, Jrob looks better at this point. The bigs are too quick for him in A-10.(Brown)

A diehard fan since 1961

1/25/2018 10:33 am  #58

When you think about it, what a great job KD is doing with what he has available to him. We will certainly need at least one big from the freshman class to make a statement next year along with Michael Hughes and an improved TV. Watching Hughes on the court prior to games makes me believe that he possesses some athleticism and has a nice touch on his shot. Again, next year will be less frustrating than what we are experiencing right now, IMO.

1/25/2018 10:46 am  #59

First I'll vent and then more analysis.  Forget the Richmond board thinking the refs favored them, are you kidding me.  The first thing out of KD's mouth in the post game was there were 5 bang bang calls in a row and they got all of them.  Total bullshit.  When I got to work the first thing a woman in my office, who is a basketball junkie in her mid-sixties who watched the whole game, said to me was "you guys got screwed last night".  That allowed me a 5 minute diatribe on how bad the officials were and now I can share my frustrations with my DU Brothers.  We simply don't get a lot of respect from officials and I've talked to several people that say we are the only "home team" that gets "homered".  Un-frighin-believable, CLK, Townson and Levon I am with you guys.
Now that I got that out of the way, the most depressing part is we really needed that win to get to 15 before this next 4 game stretch that we all knew was coming.  I just hope we can pull out at least 1 maybe 2 wins over these next 4 games, but it will be tough.  Offensively we were sloppy and sluggish and defensively we were bad the first 7 minutes of the fist half and the first 5 of the second.  That is why the Spiders were 8 for 8 to start the game, not that hard when most of them were layups.  We simply can't win with Lewis shooting 3-17 and Castro 1-11, my goodness.  When Rene isn't finishing those drives to the hoop and continues to dribble out front the offense lacks ball movement and becomes very stagnant.  Mike needs to be significantly more consistent.  He has had way too many games where he is going 0-fer over long stretches, despite some big shots in crunch time.  The hill becomes too steep to climb and the energy expended to get back in a game takes its toll.  It will be interesting to see what happens to ML's minutes when there are more scoring options next year, he won't get a long leash in my opinion.  Pres, I think to negate the lack of low post scoring we need to focus on feeding JRob more - he is our only decent low post scorer and Tarin needs to stop trying to feed CBrown off the drive, not working.  JRob's left handed jump hook on the baseline was a thing of beauty and realistically I think he can give you 10 pts a game with enough opportunities.  Tarin has been our most consistent guard, he just needs to get his foul stroke back.  If TS can't get to the hoop relatively quickly he moves the ball around much better than Rene.  So we didn't really deserve to win shooting 38% to their 49%, having 16 turnovers to their 11 and continuing to miss from the foul line (53.8% to Richmond's 72.7%).  I know we killed them on the boards (50 to 34), but some of that is attributable to their shooting percentage and ours.  Anyway, we do have guts and don't quit and I admire that in this team and our Coach.  Go Dukes, pull off an upset at RI!!!

1/25/2018 10:52 am  #60

My 3 takeaways as the biggest reasons we lost the game:

1. The hot start Richmond got out to-caused us to chase and play catch up throughout the game. Not only did playing from behind make us have to chase the rest of the game, bad shots were taken and bad decisions were made by the guys on the floor trying to do too much.

2. Poor shooting on our part-not only did the poor shooting performance make it hard for us to get back in the game, a number of long outside threes (trying to catch up) resulted in long rebounds for Richmond and got them a number of easy layups on the fast break, this was a big reason they got out to an early lead.

3. Free throw shooting-as others stated, make a few more and you win the game.

So far, this team has outperformed there actual talent by a large margin. We may be staring to regress back to the mean a little, but just remember we were picked DEAD LAST in the A10 this year.

Still extremely happy with the performance of the team so far.

1/25/2018 11:10 am  #61

PistolPete wrote:

First I'll vent and then more analysis.  Forget the Richmond board thinking the refs favored them, are you kidding me.  The first thing out of KD's mouth in the post game was there were 5 bang bang calls in a row and they got all of them.  Total bullshit.  When I got to work the first thing a woman in my office, who is a basketball junkie in her mid-sixties who watched the whole game, said to me was "you guys got screwed last night".  That allowed me a 5 minute diatribe on how bad the officials were and now I can share my frustrations with my DU Brothers.  We simply don't get a lot of respect from officials and I've talked to several people that say we are the only "home team" that gets "homered".  Un-frighin-believable, CLK, Townson and Levon I am with you guys.
Now that I got that out of the way, the most depressing part is we really needed that win to get to 15 before this next 4 game stretch that we all knew was coming.  I just hope we can pull out at least 1 maybe 2 wins over these next 4 games, but it will be tough.  Offensively we were sloppy and sluggish and defensively we were bad the first 7 minutes of the fist half and the first 5 of the second.  That is why the Spiders were 8 for 8 to start the game, not that hard when most of them were layups.  We simply can't win with Lewis shooting 3-17 and Castro 1-11, my goodness.  When Rene isn't finishing those drives to the hoop and continues to dribble out front the offense lacks ball movement and becomes very stagnant.  Mike needs to be significantly more consistent.  He has had way too many games where he is going 0-fer over long stretches, despite some big shots in crunch time.  The hill becomes too steep to climb and the energy expended to get back in a game takes its toll.  It will be interesting to see what happens to ML's minutes when there are more scoring options next year, he won't get a long leash in my opinion.  Pres, I think to negate the lack of low post scoring we need to focus on feeding JRob more - he is our only decent low post scorer and Tarin needs to stop trying to feed CBrown off the drive, not working.  JRob's left handed jump hook on the baseline was a thing of beauty and realistically I think he can give you 10 pts a game with enough opportunities.  Tarin has been our most consistent guard, he just needs to get his foul stroke back.  If TS can't get to the hoop relatively quickly he moves the ball around much better than Rene.  So we didn't really deserve to win shooting 38% to their 49%, having 16 turnovers to their 11 and continuing to miss from the foul line (53.8% to Richmond's 72.7%).  I know we killed them on the boards (50 to 34), but some of that is attributable to their shooting percentage and ours.  Anyway, we do have guts and don't quit and I admire that in this team and our Coach.  Go Dukes, pull off an upset at RI!!!

Next year I expect Lewis and Smith to play about 22 min each, Williams high twenties and all three will be fresh at end of games.

Yes and quick shots will get the first two the quick hook!

A diehard fan since 1961

1/25/2018 11:11 am  #62

Pete good point we started the game flat with stupid turnovers and did the same thing in the second half.  The consistent issue is the sloppy play of Castro & Brown IMHO and our inability to get back on defense.  I know that KD has forgotten more about the game then I will ever know, and I love the guy, so far be it for me to offer any suggestions (but I will anyhow).  I would like to see how we would do by  starting JRob instead of Brown and let Verhoeven take the tip. I would also like to see how we do  with Smith starting for Castro just to change things up a bit to see if we can generate some traction early.   

1/25/2018 12:31 pm  #63

CLK, I too wonder if its worth some tweaks to the line-up.  If anything, when you have Tydus and Brown on the floor at the same time you are playing 3 on 5 offensively - as I believe another poster mentioned.  Couple that with your two guards (ML and RC) missing everything or turning the ball over and you have only Williams on O.  However, as KD said everyone falling into and accepting their role has been a part of our success.  We simply don't have the depth of talent necessary to overcome sloppy offense and poor shooting -  and the defense cannot really afford any lapses like we saw last night.

1/25/2018 1:41 pm  #64

I think having TDM and Wade next year will be gigantic.  2 legit PGs, born and raised that way, not forced into the job.  Obviously Swingle will be the one a lot of eyes are on for an inside force.  He's a big fella.  Couple with M Hughes, and thats a lot of human in the paint.  If either of those PGs are gamers, and E Double and Lewis continue to develop, thats intense five that cover all the standard positions and needs.  A Kelly is a big kid too, 6'7'' 250.  
You can never have too much talent, or too many options, and not all these kids will be what we think they will be, but KD can just ride hot hands next year and win, can make 5 man subs.  
Its going to be interesting, I just hope its fun, and we crush Pitt by 25.  

Last edited by townsonkid (1/25/2018 1:42 pm)

1/25/2018 1:45 pm  #65

levon1975 wrote:

The rebound foul on Lewis probably cost us the game. Lewis had inside position rebounded and scored; but they called him for an offensive foul.

I thought the ref made the correct call there.  I clearly saw Mike give the guy enough of a push that he was able to make the basket easily.  In fact I said to my friend that it was on Lewis as soon as the whistle blew.

1/25/2018 3:49 pm  #66

-Verhoeven is a pretty good passer & does a fine job with his part of ball movement. He clearly can't create his own offense, his FT shooting is erratic, & there is absolutely no action run for him. Until some part or parts of this change, he will be a garbage man on that end.
-Dukes pick & roll is pretty ineffective because 96% of the time the roll man is not going to get the ball.
-MLII is the focus of much opponent defense. he has also improved dramatically as a defender. He should have an easier time of it next year with the influx of offensive threats.. 31 turnovers is 680 minutes/21 games is very solid given his high usage rate but, 19 total assists in 21 games is unacceptable.
-EWub's shooting in conference games has been unreal. He is about 1-2pt miss, 1-3pt miss, & 1 FT miss away from a 50/50/90 conference season. With 1.5 steals & 9.3 boards per game 8 games into the conference season it is evident that he wasn't just feasting a terrible non-con schedule to run up stats.
-Tarin's shooting in conference games has also been unreal; in a different way. 35/27/49 is really rough. Tarin has been good in so many other ways particularly assists/rebounds/individual defense & is certainly giving maximum effort. I hate to throw shade his way. If he can get back on track with is shot it will go so far toward bringing new life to the offense. I can really see him having a magical senior season & winning the A-10 6th Man award next year.

1/25/2018 4:48 pm  #67

The team will be totally different next year, it will be really interesting to see where the current guys fit into the puzzle next year given the fact that Dambrot has pretty outwardly made the point that the guys on the bench are better than the current crop. Couple that with some highly rated freshman.

Someone mentioned the current roster and incomings for next year leaves us with 2 too many. Have to think Krivacevic has to be one of the two to leave next year given his play time. Perhaps Dambrot even told him it was a one year opportunity to get some tape out there against D1 competition in hopes to land somewhere else next year.

1/25/2018 6:30 pm  #68

I don't think it can be said often enough that no one expected this kind of success, and we knew they'd get progressively better each of the next 2 years. Except for EW, Tydus and Brown, the latter 2 with no offensive ability, this is Ferry's team, but without several key contributors.  I guess I'm restating the obvious, but if they finish 7-11 I wont be the least bit less optimistic about the future.  Sorry, long bus ride

1/25/2018 7:29 pm  #69

CLK wrote:

Pete good point we started the game flat with stupid turnovers and did the same thing in the second half.  The consistent issue is the sloppy play of Castro & Brown IMHO and our inability to get back on defense.  I know that KD has forgotten more about the game then I will ever know, and I love the guy, so far be it for me to offer any suggestions (but I will anyhow).  I would like to see how we would do by  starting JRob instead of Brown and let Verhoeven take the tip. I would also like to see how we do  with Smith starting for Castro just to change things up a bit to see if we can generate some traction early.   

CLK, I think the reasons why Brown starts is 1) protects JRob from picking up a couple quick fouls out of the gate when he starts - he looks a lot more composed coming off of the bench with Tarin; and 2) Brown is stronger and  much more physical - sends a quick toughness message to the opponent.

1/25/2018 8:58 pm  #70

No offense, VBC, but I and Ray Goss disagree with the ref and you.  At my vantage point the play was almost in my lap.  I thought the Richmond guy, who was behind ML, gave him no room to swing his arms when he came down with the rebound.  My fist instinct was that the foul was called on ML's shot.  Ray Goss looked at that call a couple of times on his DVD replay-even in slo-motion- and he says the call was wrong.  Hence, a four point swing. ML's shot called off and the Richmond kid makes both ends of a the two shots awarded.  Even more important to me was the play allowing Golden to practically walk from near the Richmond bench to the hoop and to add insult to injury award him a tick-tacky foul shot. Our one-point lead went to a two-point deficit and even though we tied the game, there never should have been an OT if the refs properly called some critical Richmond errors.  We didn't lose to a better team.  We lost to inferior officiating when it most counted--at the end of regulation and in the OT.  

1/25/2018 9:03 pm  #71

grammudder wrote:

No offense, VBC, but I and Ray Goss disagree with the ref and you.  At my vantage point the play was almost in my lap.  I thought the Richmond guy, who was behind ML, gave him no room to swing his arms when he came down with the rebound.  My fist instinct was that the foul was called on ML's shot.  Ray Goss looked at that call a couple of times on his DVD replay-even in slo-motion- and he says the call was wrong.  Hence, a four point swing. ML's shot called off and the Richmond kid makes both ends of a the two shots awarded.  Even more important to me was the play allowing Golden to practically walk from near the Richmond bench to the hoop and to add insult to injury award him a tick-tacky foul shot. Our one-point lead went to a two-point deficit and even though we tied the game, there never should have been an OT if the refs properly called some critical Richmond errors.  We didn't lose to a better team.  We lost to inferior officiating when it most counted--at the end of regulation and in the OT.  

I thought it was a bad call too. Don't get me wrong, mike made some contact, but he had inside position and should have been given the benefit of the doubt.

1/25/2018 9:55 pm  #72

Another call That went their way was the charge Smith took only to be overturned by another official that turned into 2 ft's by Richmond. The replay showed he was positioned just outside the semi-circle.

1/26/2018 4:42 am  #73

Most of you are overlooking Marcus Weathers. I think he will be the best of the transfers and one of the best on the team.  He has a big upside and plays big inside even though he does not look like a banger.  KD brought him in because he outplayed the Zips league MVP center in both games.  He is tough inside. The team will be totally different next year...trust me.  KD will play inside out and have guys who can play that game...and they will defend.

Who starts is not all that important.  Often the best defensive guys will start to set the tone.  The most valuable guys often were the first guys off the bench.  Look who is playing the last 5 minutes.

Don't overlook Marcus Weathers.  He and Williams will own the glass next year.  DU will be a good defensive team, pass the ball and rebound.  

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/26/2018 6:08 am)

1/26/2018 10:47 am  #74

Looking forward to having all the transfers available next season. Beyond their individual capabilities, just think what it will be like to have the depth that the transfers plus the freshman will afford us. Instead of playing 8 men KD will be able to substitute freely and utilize at least a dozen or more players. Will pay huge dividends in the last 8-10 minutes of a tough, tight game. That has to be good for a few more wins alone. No guarantees that every incoming player  will work out for next season but it should be fun non the less!

1/26/2018 11:17 am  #75

There's going to be significant upgrades in, oh, a few areas next season: size, speed, athleticism, toughness, competition, leadership, chemistry, versatility, offense, defense. Just to name a few. I'd expect a couple redshirts among the freshmen bigs. Wade and Dunn-Martin are going to be an amazing PG combo. Eric Williams and Mike Lewis will be a year better. Tydus will be stronger and have more confidence in his game. Coach Dambrot won't be starting over. We'll possibly know about the facility plans. We'll hopefully have a surge in the fan base from a strong second half and A-10 Tournament.

I know; lots of speculation on my part. But nothing out of the realm of reality.

Board footera