Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2018 10:24 pm  #1

Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (Home)

6:30pm EST tip on Saturday 02/03/2018 at the A.J. Palumbo Center
Per KenPom:
Dukes #171 (15-8; 6-4) vs St. Bonaventure #75 (15-6; 5-4)
St. Bonaventure projected to finish 3rd (11-7) in the 14 team Atlantic 10 Conference; Dukes projected to finish 9th (9-9)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 4, 71-67 - Dukes with 37% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 4½ point underdogs; Over/Under 139
Duquesne 9-6 Against the Spread: St. Bonaventure 9-9 ATS

St. Bonaventure Best Win(s): Maryland (37); Syracuse (46); Vermont (62)
St. Bonaventure Worst Loss(es): Niagara (210); Saint Joseph's (151); Dayton (143)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate
Top 100 ranking overall or top 3 in conference noted as a strength; Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 3 in conference as a weakness.
Here's a look at St. Bonaventure for the season:
Offensive Strength:  Gets to the FT Line (34); Turnover % (50)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Creates Turnovers (38); Effective FG% (52)
Defensive Weakness:  Sends Opponents to FT Line (323)

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure in conference (14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Defensive Strength:  Limits Offensive Rebounds (3)
Defensive Weakness:  Sends opponents to FT line (14)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 351 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Getting to the FT Line (77); Offensive Rebounds (27)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG% (39)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes in conference (14 teams)
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebounds (2)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG% (1)
Defensive Weakness:  Doesn't force turnovers (13); Allows Offensive Rebounds (12)

2/02/2018 11:09 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (Home)

Going with 5 family members.  Introducing the grandkids to Duquesne Basketball!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/03/2018 1:21 am  #3

Beat The Bonnies

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

2/03/2018 8:44 am  #4

Really looking forward to this one. Thought about making the 6 hour drive out, but the family cesponsibilities are keeping me back.

Looking forward to the big defensive presence of Tydus tonight. Their guards are good outside shooters, but will also drive to the hoop.  TV has shown a great ability to give help and block/alter shots {see the LaSalle and GMU games in particular) if our perimeter defenders get beat.  Also, allowing offensive rebounds is a weakness for us and grabbing ORebs is a strength for them (Thanks, PR2), so we need to establish a team presence there. They love their guards and we love ours, but the interior play may well dictate the outcome tonight.

It'll be interesting to see what the Bonnies throw at us defensively

Let's go Dukes!!

2/03/2018 8:47 am  #5

Tydus has proven to be the anti-SI Jinx. Since you talked about him, I won't be surprised if he breaks another shot blocking record today.

2/03/2018 8:54 am  #6

FWIW here is how I approach the Bonnies defensively tonight.  You gotta give one of their guards his points.  Concentrate on defending the best guard--IMO Jaylen Adams.  Mobley is streaky.  Make their 4 and 5 guys beat you.  Their 3 guy, whose name escapes me  scores pretty decently.  Almost what most teams do defensively to the Dukes!!!

2/03/2018 11:58 am  #7

One of their weaknesses is sending opponents to the free throw line. That could turn into a strength against us.

2/03/2018 12:16 pm  #8

WashPaRick wrote:

One of their weaknesses is sending opponents to the free throw line. That could turn into a strength against us.

​I thought that very same thing the other night.  the GW announcer pointed out that, of eight guys getting regular playing time, six are shooting below 58% from the stripe!  That is going to hurt over the next few weeks.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/03/2018 12:46 pm  #9

Better free throw shooting is a priority but if that GW announcer said that he is wrong.  Of those 8 players only 3 are below his number and in conference play 4 are.  Also of the four players with majority of attempts, only Tarin has declined during this slump of his.

2/03/2018 1:42 pm  #10

kcc173 wrote:

Better free throw shooting is a priority but if that GW announcer said that he is wrong. Of those 8 players only 3 are below his number and in conference play 4 are. Also of the four players with majority of attempts, only Tarin has declined during this slump of his.

​I thought that too, but just looked and only three are over .587 as of that game.  He may have misread the stat sheet, but nit picking is not the point, as a team they are abysmal at free throws, with their big men, who are going to pick up a majority of the trips to the line from bad to atrocious.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (2/03/2018 1:43 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/03/2018 2:00 pm  #11

I don’t want to nitpick either but our so called bigs (Tydus, Jordan, Kellon, and Chas) have shot about 22% of our attempts.  Not a majority.  Just pointing it out.  Planning on enjoying an important game and will take whatever we can.  Cheers

2/03/2018 2:01 pm  #12

By the way I am not defending us since it is true we are 12th of 14 in A10 at the line.

2/03/2018 2:46 pm  #13

This free throw shooting IMHO comes from lack of basic repetition. Step to the line, toe the line, eye on the rim then use your practiced routine,and shoot and follow thru.

Here is how to shoot below 70%.

Walk around and then go to line, don't concentrate and just shoot the ball, if you make it or not step off the line and slap your team mates hands then go to the line with a different routine, just throw it up and miss. Sometimes even smile a little afterwards.

Watch today and see how the good FT shooters perform, and if you are a player imitate them.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/03/2018 3:24 pm  #14

Every time Bonnies come here someone on their board says they get homered down here. Last time I remember any homering going on here was when the Nelsons played. 

2/03/2018 6:48 pm  #15

Wow.

2/03/2018 7:08 pm  #16

a better Wow

2/03/2018 7:10 pm  #17

rosceaux wrote:

a better Wow

Way better.

2/03/2018 7:11 pm  #18

I think he just said 16-0 run.

2/03/2018 7:19 pm  #19

Let them go on a bit of a run down the stretch, but a very good half overall. Looked bad early but the guys battled back.

Rene and Tarin were great. Hopefully Mike and Eric wake up in the second half. We need them.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (2/03/2018 7:21 pm)

2/03/2018 7:21 pm  #20

Gotta start 2nd half better then the first half.

2/03/2018 7:23 pm  #21

Need to get LewisII and Williams going in 2nd half, but good come back after 22-7 start by ‘Bona”

A diehard fan since 1961

2/03/2018 7:45 pm  #22

Good start to half.

2/03/2018 7:50 pm  #23

Where's the 3 point defense today?

2/03/2018 7:57 pm  #24

Brown misses 2 and now James at the line. I'll settle for 1.

2/03/2018 8:07 pm  #25

Williams 3's just off a hair.

Board footera