Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2018 9:33 am  #1

Game Thread - Dayton Flyers (Away)

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 02/07/2018 at the UD Arena, Dayton, OH
Per KenPom:
Dukes #173 (15-9; 6-5) vs Dayton #142 (10-12; 4-6)
Dayton projected to finish 8th (8-10) in the 14 team Atlantic 10 Conference; Dukes projected to finish 6th (9-9)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 5, 72-67 - Dukes with 31% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 8 point underdogs; Over/Under 141½
Duquesne 10-6 Against the Spread: Dayton 8-14 ATS

Previous Game this Season: Duquesne 70-62
Dayton Best Win(s): Davidson (58); St. Bonaventure (75); Georgia St. (101)
Dayton Worst Loss(es): UMass twice (196); Duquesne (173); Hofstra (167); Saint Joseph's (161)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate

Top 100 ranking overall or top 3 in conference noted as a strength; Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 3 in conference as a weakness.
Here's a look at Dayton for the season:
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG% (25)
Offensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebounding (271)
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  Effective FG% (277)

Here's a look at Dayton in conference (14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG% (2)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  Doesn't Create Turnovers (12)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 351 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Getting to the FT Line (74); Offensive Rebounds (30)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG% (44)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes in conference (14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebounds (2); Gets to FT Line (3)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG% (1)
Defensive Weakness:  Doesn't force turnovers (13); Allows Offensive Rebounds (12)

2/07/2018 9:34 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - Dayton Flyers (Away)

Game is being televised in Pittsburgh on AT&T SportsNet (former Root Sports).

2/07/2018 10:59 am  #3

Was just going to comment, it's been really nice having multiple games broadcast on root/at&t this year. They have recently ignored us like the plague, and in the past have shown local lower level schools/pitt women's b ball even in favor of Dukes games.

2/07/2018 11:01 am  #4

Dayton is the enigma of the A10 this year. Who knows what kind of game we see from them. I can see either team building a sizable lead early in the game. If it is us, I hope the Dukes can see it to the finish line. UD doesn't have much depth and I'm not sure if they can speed the game up trying to come from behind. They certainly let the Dukes dictate the pace late on Dec 30.

Cunningham has been a beat inside and if he gets his, like he almost always does, just have to live with it. When UD has won in league play,usually it has been behind a more balanced attack. When they lose, they shoot poorly from three (should bode well for us) and/or they turn it over way too much (not a strength of ours in league play). 

Second rematch game under KD. Dukes beat GW in return game on the road, now hoping for that record in these games to be 2-0. Haven't won in UD Arena since 2012 and outside of 2016 (Would rather not relive how that game turned into an L), the games haven;t been competitive. 

2/07/2018 11:13 am  #5

Duques102 wrote:

Was just going to comment, it's been really nice having multiple games broadcast on root/at&t this year. They have recently ignored us like the plague, and in the past have shown local lower level schools/pitt women's b ball even in favor of Dukes games.

Agreed.   The first game that was on the Duquesne University commercial ran at every commercial break.   So I'm not sure if it really interest from ATT or the school stepping up and buying the ad time to get it on.   Either way it is nice to have it on.   DU might have made a deal with them to buy any unsold commercial time. 

2/07/2018 12:35 pm  #6

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Game is being televised in Pittsburgh on AT&T SportsNet (former Root Sports).

While that is nice, I hope we can win the game, some people will be watching, outside of us diehard fans.  It would go a long way to impress some more locals.  The close losses wont cut it.  Need to beat a known commodity.  And Dayton is that, probably the most known to the average local bball fan.

TV, Brown and JRob must must must show up tonight or Cunningham will go off.

2/07/2018 6:52 pm  #7

We need everyone to step up in this game. One of the more difficult places to play in the conference. Wanna see some smart basketball, good passing and commitment on defense.

2/07/2018 7:32 pm  #8

Ugly game so far for both teams. No rhythm at all.

2/07/2018 7:50 pm  #9

I’ve seen enough penguin commercials to last a lifetime.

2/07/2018 7:50 pm  #10

Duques102 wrote:

We need everyone to step up in this game. One of the more difficult places to play in the conference. Wanna see some smart basketball, good passing and commitment on defense.

Not much "stepping up" going on so far. Without Dayton's blown layups, we'd be out the game already.

2/07/2018 7:52 pm  #11

We seem to turn the ball over like crazy in the first half of games. EW needs to be less careless with the ball. Good defense by mike Lewis on that last possession.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (2/07/2018 7:53 pm)

2/07/2018 8:13 pm  #12

Death Blow.  Chas Brown is a liability.  Verheoeven has gotten worse.  Lewis is invisible. 
Might as well try to street ball run and gun for 15 minutes.

Last edited by townsonkid (2/07/2018 8:13 pm)

2/07/2018 8:34 pm  #13

Lame effort. This team seems to be regressing. They'll be favored in the Fordham game and that's about it. Might need to win that one to avoid a losing season. Another late season collapse like under RE albeit not quite the talent level. Don't see any of the current starters getting too much PT besides EW and maybe Lewis early on, but see Lewis coming off the bench by mid season.

2/07/2018 8:39 pm  #14

townsonkid wrote:

Death Blow. Chas Brown is a liability. Verheoeven has gotten worse. Lewis is invisible.
Might as well try to street ball run and gun for 15 minutes.

Lack of depth is starting to wear the team down. This is why I try to keep expectations realistic.

2/07/2018 8:59 pm  #15

They stopped playing defense...

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/07/2018 9:03 pm  #16

A home game against Fordham is coming at the perfect time for this team. They appear to be running out of gas. I can't wait for the influx of talent and size next year. This team is too one dimensional this year. We are getting nothing offensively out of our bigs, which is bad news considering KD's offenses run through the post.

2/07/2018 9:05 pm  #17

Step slow tonight to say the least. Offense looked like it was run in mud, bad turnovers, terrible transition D and not much resistance in the paint in the second half leading to open layins or kickouts for easy threes.

Need to grind through Saturday's game vs Fordham and then a much needed week in between games after that. 

Other results tonight keep the Dukes in the seventh position in the A10.
Adams went for 44 with 10 threes as Bona beat SLU
Fordham beats GMU and GW beats La Salle
VCU and UR about to start on CBSSports Net

Last edited by Brian (2/07/2018 9:06 pm)

2/07/2018 9:06 pm  #18

The Richmond loss started this, this game looked like last years team.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/07/2018 9:22 pm  #19

Brian wrote:

Need to grind through Saturday's game vs Fordham and then a much needed week in between games after that. 

Brian, you’re right. Huge game now vs. Fordham. Win and get recharged for the rest of the year.

2/07/2018 9:25 pm  #20

Dukes2012 wrote:

A home game against Fordham is coming at the perfect time for this team. They appear to be running out of gas. I can't wait for the influx of talent and size next year. This team is too one dimensional this year. We are getting nothing offensively out of our bigs, which is bad news considering KD's offenses run through the post.

Yeah I noticed that in the first half. Our bigs aren't really a threat so teams can play loose on them or ignore them completely and defend the perimeter.  The guys need to get free for some early touches and scores early on to prevent this, but this never happened tonight.

Oh well. One loss. Move on. Let's get Fordham on Saturday

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/07/2018 9:27 pm  #21

Our bigs are horrible at ball screen defense. We have no ball movement. Tarin and Castro force a lot of shots and have no assists at times. This is causing EW and Lewis to never get a rhythm. Lewis is non existent on defense

2/07/2018 9:38 pm  #22

I know plenty of people just listened to KD jump all over Ray Goss. I couldn't care less that KD went out of his way to smooth it over. That was classless.

KD, if you have a staffer reading this, if you want your players to be accountable for their actions, show a little self-control & act like you've been here before.

Ray, of course, handled it like the prince & pro he is.

Last edited by phil95 (2/07/2018 9:40 pm)

2/07/2018 9:46 pm  #23

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Brian wrote:

Brian, you’re right. Huge game now vs. Fordham. Win and get recharged for the rest of the year.

Dukes and SLU will be the last ones to have a midweek off, both next week.

2/07/2018 9:48 pm  #24

phil95 wrote:

I know plenty of people just listened to KD jump all over Ray Goss. I couldn't care less that KD went out of his way to smooth it over. That was classless.

KD, if you have a staffer reading this, if you want your players to be accountable for their actions, show a little self-control & act like you've been here before.

KD is a competitor and his game emotions were still running high. KD sincerely apologized to Ray even acknowledging himself a sore loser.

2/07/2018 9:48 pm  #25

phil95 wrote:

KD was wound tighter than a $2 watch almost the entire game; seemed like he was ready to erupt. Sounds like he did spew on Ray. I didn’t hear it. Can you provide any additional details?

Board footera