Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2018 10:38 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Dayton Flyers (Away)

Funny how most of the commenters here completely ignore Dambrot's mean-spirited comment — and there's no way to put lipstick on that pig — about Ray Goss.

Enjoy the remainder of your season, a disappointing February and March debacle — a typical late-season collapse — in which Duquesne's tired and overworked players display no spark.

They're simply too tired.

Coach Dambrot, not the most contemplative or articulate guy when it comes to public relations, should give his players some well-deserved rest after out-performing everybody's expectations. 

Think about it.

2/08/2018 10:40 am  #52

If memory serves me correctly, at the beginning of the conference season, someone on this board, I want to say it was Steve, said a 3-0 start to the conference season was very doable but also would create unrealistic expectations for the rest of the season. Bingo. Now here we are at 6-6 after starting 3-0 and 5-2. Six games to go. Fordham at home is probably a win, Davidson at home, Bonaventure on the road are probably losses. St. Louis at home, UMass and St. Joe's on the road are very winnable, but the Dukes aren't likely to win all three and may not win any. Breaking even in the last six will make this a tremendously successful season. Even just 1-2 more wins will make this a more successful season than any of the last five and better than any of us had the right to expect. Enjoy the ride. Even good teams hit the February doldrums, witness three top-10 teams losing at home last night, including No. 1 Villanova to previously winless in the Big East St. John's. Keith has gotten a lot of mileage out of this team but expecting a flawed team to play over its head every night over the course of a long season is not realistic. But that doesn't mean they're spent and have nothing left in the tank and the rest of the season is lost. I suspect we'll still have a few more things to cheer before this season's done. 

2/08/2018 10:41 am  #53

Godukes2017 wrote:

IronDukes12 wrote:

Play them a little less hard in practice and they might actually have some energy in A-10 games.

How long do they practice for since you add this comment?

Keith Dambrot has always prided himself on how hard he works his teams in practice.  His teams always fade at the end, possibly because of that strenuous work ethic.

You'll have to ask him...

The Dukes looked really tired last night.  Just saying...

2/08/2018 11:25 am  #54

duq81 wrote:

Too many people on this board let their expectations run wild after we did well during a softer part of the schedule. Now that we've gone through the hardest part of the schedule, and took the lumps that any reasonable fan would have expected, the same folks are telling us that the sky is falling. The coach has gotten more than expected out of a team with many flaws and shortcomings. With 6 games left, we have a game we should expect to win, one we should expect to lose, and 4 close matchups. I'm hoping to win all 4 of these tossups, but as long as we don't get swept, I can't really complain about this season. Not a bad year for what was supposed to be the worst team in the A10.

Great post duq81.  Dambrot has 8 scholarship players available this year, 5 of which are Ferry recruits, and only 2 of which played any significant minutes last year.  What he has done so far has been way beyond what most rational fans could have expected. I for one am enjoying the ride.

2/08/2018 11:31 am  #55

IronDukes12 wrote:

Funny how most of the commenters here completely ignore Dambrot's mean-spirited comment — and there's no way to put lipstick on that pig — about Ray Goss.

Enjoy the remainder of your season, a disappointing February and March debacle — a typical late-season collapse — in which Duquesne's tired and overworked players display no spark.

Coach Dambrot, not the most contemplative or articulate guy when it comes to public relations, should give his players some well-deserved rest after out-performing everybody's expectations. 

Think about it.

2/08/2018 12:09 pm  #56

^^^^ what he said.   

2/08/2018 12:33 pm  #57

My god it's not like he took a swing at him. Ray will survive.
So coach is a sore loser. GOOD. I want a sore loser
Would you all be happier with the same pathetic BS we got from Ferry after each and every debacle last year?
It's along season and yeah they may be running out of gas but he is in the process of establishing a culture and a program.
Our big men have hands of stone and we do not have a pure point guard yet
 they are going for their 7th Conference win this Saturday. I'll take it.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

2/08/2018 1:18 pm  #58

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Too many people on this board let their expectations run wild after we did well during a softer part of the schedule. Now that we've gone through the hardest part of the schedule, and took the lumps that any reasonable fan would have expected, the same folks are telling us that the sky is falling. The coach has gotten more than expected out of a team with many flaws and shortcomings. With 6 games left, we have a game we should expect to win, one we should expect to lose, and 4 close matchups. I'm hoping to win all 4 of these tossups, but as long as we don't get swept, I can't really complain about this season. Not a bad year for what was supposed to be the worst team in the A10.

Great post duq81.  Dambrot has 8 scholarship players available this year, 5 of which are Ferry recruits, and only 2 of which played any significant minutes last year.  What he has done so far has been way beyond what most rational fans could have expected. I for one am enjoying the ride.

These may be the only two rational posts post game in this thread. This is exactly the case and we should be delighted with the results and progress we have seen since KD took over.

Maybe he got a little angry at Ray but you have to expect a guy that competitive to be hot having literally just come off a bad performance from the team. Doesn't make him a bad guy or Ray some type of victim.

Let's move on.

2/08/2018 1:21 pm  #59

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Ditto a to both of you, one player, Rene Castro averaged 5 points in limited play for the last coach, now unnamed. And now when we need points he muscles his way down the lane for a scoop layup or hits a they, I find myself glad that the ball is in his hands rather than Lewis II ( who I really like).

He is a grad student, a mature man who floundered under that past coach.

I didn't hear the Ray Goss interview, and Ray has been a good friend for years, but I know Ray is bigger than holding a grudge against a fiery coach after a horrible loss.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/08/2018 1:25 pm  #60

Amen, Ghost! Great insight: Coach most definitely is a sore loser. I don't want it any other way. Take that message to the players and let them know under no uncertain terms. You will not take one single play off. That is why Duquesne is never any good. The players don't understand that this is not December now. It is February. Whole different ball game. People on this board taking shots at the team for being tired, blah, blah, blah. What's the point? Since Jan. 13, Duquense has won a 3OT game, a 2OT game and a 2-point outcome in regulation. Also during that span, Duquesne has lost a 2OT game and lost twice more at or near the buzzer on 3-point shots to arguably the top two teams in the conference. So when does a team finally crack -- one that was picked 14th LAST in the conference. Time to get a grip. It's not like they're getting blown out every game, and that's a direct result of the new coach. Somebody made reference to Ferry scratching his head. Well, he should .Half of these guys are his players and they didn't manage this sort of season last year. 

2/08/2018 1:26 pm  #61

Ghost of Walter White wrote:

So coach is a sore loser. GOOD. I want a sore loser
Would you all be happier with the same pathetic BS we got from Ferry after each and every debacle last year?
 I'll take it.

This times 100!!!!!!!  "I can't spare this man! He fights!"  A. Lincoln on US Grant!  

To continue my Civil War metaphors: Who do you want Grant or Sherman (Keith Dambrot) or George B McClellan (Ferry)?????

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/08/2018 1:26 pm  #62

IronDukes12 wrote:

Think about it.

Coach did something dumb. He got called out for it, and knows what he said was dumb. Unless it becomes a pattern, there's no point in raking him over the coals for it. Let's move on.

2/08/2018 1:49 pm  #63

I love it. I love a coach who cares so much about this program. He got snappy with Ray, he apologies. Both of them are grown men and will move on.

KD has had 10 straight winning season, he’s mad as hel that we are losing. I can’t wait until we get some bigs.

#trusttheprocess

Roll Dukes Roll

2/08/2018 7:50 pm  #64

duq81 wrote:

Yep.....

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/13/2018 7:04 am  #65

IronDukes12 wrote:

You initially wrote that you did not hear the interview.  Later after hearing the interview you wrote that KD was disrespectful, derogatory, and mean spirited and Ray did not intend to offend with his comment.  Can you send me a link where I can hear the interview too??  Your comments are being used by "LurkingZip" to criticize KD on the Zips forum and I would really like to hear it first hand. 

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (2/13/2018 3:46 pm)

2/13/2018 7:11 am  #66

IronDukes12 wrote:

Think about it.

An FYI:  In the 13 years KD was at Akron, they played in the finals 9 times, 3 semi-finals and 1 quarter-final. After the first season (quarter-finals), they never failed to reach the semi-finals.  The Zips played their best ball at the end of the year.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (2/13/2018 7:14 am)

Board footera