Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2018 1:01 am  #1

Looks like Jim Ferry is still on the bench

This team has regressed lately. They have lost the last three tight games. Other games they have looked lackluster. The offense has stagnated. The guards are all going one on one and not running an offense from what I can see. The defense has dropped off immensely. Unforced turnovers are mounting at an alarming rate. They have blown big second have leads. I am so tired of the excuse we don't have enough players. Every A 10 team is at a shortage of players this year, except Rhode Island. In most of our conference games, we played more players than most other teams and the opponents teams top six log more minutes than our top six. If KD is losing it on Ray, what do you think he is doing to his players, because some of them look as though they are going through the motions. I liked what I saw midway through the season, not so much lately. Overall I think they have progressed nicely, but if we see more of what has occurred lately, I may start getting concerned. I understand that help is on the way next year, with his own selected players, so we all must be patient. Hopefully we will finish strong, but then again I am a suffering Dukes fan for a long time, so you can see my concerns in future outcomes.  I hope this is just a slump. Go Dukes

2/08/2018 6:42 am  #2

Re: Looks like Jim Ferry is still on the bench

No, the former coach is definitely not on the bench. However, I believe we have ended the honeymoon!  I understand your frustration but without beating an old horse from last year their records as coaches aren’t even close. Okay, now away from the old coach who failed.

1.  At the beginning of this year as we have, we were asked to guess the win/loss record. I guess I could look it up but I think my wish was that we were competitive and played hard... or something like that. I know I didnt give a number. My own opinion is the only game I believe we were out played and got kicked was St. Louis this year. Both halves were bad. 
2.  This man hates to lose. I coached with a guy like that once.  Sometimes he took his frustrations out on the adults (and me) which wasn’t  pretty, but he tried to hold it in against the kids. He apologized also.
3. Again, lose your memory for a second on how we lost so far or won this year.   Someone gave you the scores and record this morning. Would you be pleased this year, yes or no?  80% of us would say yes.
4. We hired a coach with a good record from a good league. He recruited late and at the same time is making other changes. We will be fine... as long as he doesn’t give himself a nervous breakdown first!

2/08/2018 8:23 am  #3

Fam, I was being facetious. I am the first to admit that he improved the play of Smith, Castro, J Rob and Taylor. I also give a new coach four to five years to turn around a program, until he gets his type of players. But the way they are playing and how they are losing is probably more of a reflection on how the players are falling into their own bad habits of the past few years.  My biggest disappointment with KD is his unpleasant attack on Ray. Ray is the only play by play Dukes announcer I know. Ray has been a true warrior all these lean years and a class act. I hope Ray just takes last nights unfortunate incident as KD 's competitive nature, no harm, no foul. Looking forward to some good times ahead for the Dukes.

2/08/2018 10:36 am  #4

You have the audacity to say coach D is another him ferry? This is exactly what I mean. You guys just say a bunch of nonsense sometimes..10-22 3-15 compared to coach Dambrot at 15-10?

2/08/2018 10:47 am  #5

Wildwood, But I did hear some frustration which is something we all feel. As far as Ray, I’m sure that Ray is just fine. He has dealt with many coaches over the years and lots of personalities. I would guess that Dambrot feels bad too.

Basketball... wondering if now and then he should try a zone for a different look.

2/08/2018 10:52 am  #6

Relax Godukes2017, as I said previously, I was being facetious. I mentioned the improvements from the leftover players. I also indicated that a new coach needs to have his own recruited players before judgement could be passed on a coach. I was just comparing the the losing the last three close games, the blowing of big leads, and the guards making ill advised plays and shot selection. Maybe it's the players falling into old bad habits of the old regime. But this coming from a guy that had no basis for his statement of players transferring. But, I came to your defense last week to at least let people express their opinions and thoughts. I should consider the source.

2/08/2018 11:08 am  #7

Fam, I agree also with going with the occasional zone. I have always been a big proponent of zone. I always felt that if my five guys are more Athletic than yours, I feel comfortable playing man. But if you have one or two weak man to man defensive players, as a coach or player, I am going to try an expose those weaknesses. On the same note, when the other teams have better players than I have, I try to be deliberate on offense, thus limiting the other teams possessions. Because the more opportunities I give the other team the more likely they are going to be successful against me, because they do have the better players.

2/08/2018 8:05 pm  #8

What is all this "We" ?

I'm pretty sure:
1. Majority of long-time fans recognize that we have overachieved this season.
​2. Majority of long-time fans are still in the honeymoon phase with Coach Dambrot.
3. Majority of long-time fans recognize that with 8 scholarship players that this was not going to be a banner season and did not expect miracles.
4. Majority of long-time fans have figured out that Ferry couldn't have taken VCU and URI to the wire on their courts.
​5. Majority of fans will hang in there for the rest of the season and look forward to better things next year.

Don't really give a  what anyone else thinks.

2/08/2018 8:16 pm  #9

Settle down guys... Dambrot is still the man.  He will not need a five year plan and has made the program better by lightyears. 

Ferry would not have had Rhoddie on the ropes or played competitive with the Bonnies.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/08/2018 8:30 pm  #10

When I saw this topic headline my first thought is, boy some ignorant Pitt guy is posting.

Then I thought it doesn’t have to be a Pitt fan to be ignorant.

Last edited by Phildog (2/08/2018 8:33 pm)

A diehard fan since 1961

2/09/2018 5:21 am  #11

FAM wrote:

Wildwood, But I did hear some frustration which is something we all feel. As far as Ray, I’m sure that Ray is just fine. He has dealt with many coaches over the years and lots of personalities. I would guess that Dambrot feels bad too.

Basketball... wondering if now and then he should try a zone for a different look.

KD plays man-to-man D. I tried to warn you early on.  Win or lose...it will be man-to-man.  I think it is about effort...and he will not short cut that effort.  I am sure others will criticize him during his tenure at Duq for not playing zone...but he s a man-to-man D coach. Some will also criticize that the team can be driven on by quick guards....and that is a by product of man-to-man.  But man-to man will be the way to shut down good 3pt shooting teams and reward effort. 

You are still ahead of the curve.  There will be some ugly games along the way this year. I would hold off making to many judgments until the season is over.  I graduated from Miami and Akron and now follow Duq closely.  They all have new coaches with depleted rosters.  Duq and Miami are ahead of the curve and Akron behind the curve.  But it is unrealistic to grade or judge any of them until after the season.  For me...next year will be the real test as all 3 have transfers waiting and freshman playing big minutes this year.  Duq was by far the most difficult situation to take on because of their history but I would bet on the success of Duq over my 2 schools because of my belief in KD.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (2/09/2018 5:25 am)

2/09/2018 8:15 am  #12

Dsnyder15 wrote:

KD plays man-to-man D. I tried to warn you early on.  Win or lose...it will be man-to-man.  I think it is about effort...and he will not short cut that effort.  I am sure others will criticize him during his tenure at Duq for not playing zone...but he s a man-to-man D coach. Some will also criticize that the team can be driven on by quick guards....and that is a by product of man-to-man.  But man-to man will be the way to shut down good 3pt shooting teams and reward effort. 
KD.

I have a cousin in Akron, played college ball and coached high school for thirty or so years, and he's a big fan of Akron U.  (to be fair, I think he's still a little bitter about Dambrot leaving but still) he made the same point to me that Dambrot's refusal to change up his defense and only play man to man could possibly be a liability to Duquesne as the competition gets better.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/09/2018 4:49 pm  #13

KD loves bigs and can’t recruit enough of them so he may have had rim protectors for when man breaks down.  It still does not excuse the hard headed attitude. Coach K probably plays 30/40% zone. I watched Bennett from Virginia see his team shredded by Syracuse in a regional final a couple of years ago after having a 20 point lead when Syracuse stopped chucking 3’s and started driving to the hoop.

2/09/2018 10:42 pm  #14

The Dome wrote:

KD loves bigs and can’t recruit enough of them so he may have had rim protectors for when man breaks down. It still does not excuse the hard headed attitude. Coach K probably plays 30/40% zone. I watched Bennett from Virginia see his team shredded by Syracuse in a regional final a couple of years ago after having a 20 point lead when Syracuse stopped chucking 3’s and started driving to the hoop.

Coach K never played zone until the Louisville game in 2015.  Man-to-man takes more effort and more time to teach...and is considered a better defense if played correctly.  Coach K embraced the "one and done" set-up of today's basketball landscape and mixes in zone because he does not have as much time to teach man-to-man to this new group of players.  KD and Duq may have to deal with "one and done" but they are not there yet.  I am OK with man-to-man and the dedicated commitment required because it sets the mind frame of effort and toughness.  Plus...it is the best way to neutralize the 3 ball so prevalent in today's game.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article189319374.html

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (2/09/2018 10:43 pm)

Board footera