Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2018 1:20 am  #1

Addressing questions about incoming bigs.....

Some have questioned the short term impact the bigs we have coming in next year may have for us. I give you ESPNs recruiting list for the top 50 centers in the USA for 2018:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/position/center/class/2018/view/position

We have 3 of them. Bizeau is listed at #18!!! Behind him there are guys committed to schools like Indiana, Connecticut, NC State, Texas, UCLA, and Notre Dame. Pretty sure one or more of these guys can step and and contribute in year 1 along with Hughes, Weathers, and Verhoeven.

When was the last time we had ONE top 50 rated center, or any other position on the floor for that matter?

2/09/2018 7:49 am  #2

Re: Addressing questions about incoming bigs.....

Jordan Robinson was actually the #19 center by ESPN if I remember correctly. The problem was he was never given an opportunity to develop by ferry.

2/09/2018 7:56 am  #3

The numbers are made up - they don't mean anything. Having guys with good numbers is better than not having guys with good numbers, but the guards from St Bona weren't rated at all, for instance, and the one guy dropped 40 on the Dukes. I don't think depending on freshman to contribute is the recipe for met expectations - but having more talent is better than having less. 

2/09/2018 9:25 am  #4

I really think Biz is a stretch 4 as opposed to a back to the basket big.  DS is more of a low post guy, but I think he will need at least a year of seasoning and conditioning.  Amari Kelly sounds like a power 4, which is great and I am not sure of the Rothfus (spelling) guy - maybe someone can give me some detail.  Anyway, like I said in prior post my concern is all you really have at the 5 Hughes, who is coming off an injury and year without playing.  TV is more of a power 4 with limited offensive game which I believe can improve.  So we will have more bodies for sure, but it will be interesting to see if we get better production out of the 5 spot; I think we will get more from the 4 next year. 

2/09/2018 9:52 am  #5

I am more interested in the story behind Kratholm and Krivacevic.  Krivacevic came in and made 2 3's so he seems to fit the stretch 4 that KD likes.  Kratholm appeared in earlier games but has since disappeared.  Now that they know what is expected of them I would think at least one steps up his game over the summer or they transfer out.  Often bigs take a while to develop.  That is why TV has been so impressive IMO.  I am hoping one of the Ks makes a huge leap next season.  Kratholm seems like a high charater guy...would represent the program well.  I am rooting for him.

I also expect TV to be vastly improved now that he knows what to expect.  The year of experiance playing will be invaluable but his growth will be from his work this off-season.

Hughes from Akron is a natural center...can play with his back to the basket.  He has good feet and can catch and pass the ball.  He has a high basketball IQ.  I think KD will be making plans to play with the guys who are here now (including waiting transfers) and hope for one of the incoming freshman to add minutes to the rotation.  I doubt that any will start next year.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (2/09/2018 9:57 am)

2/09/2018 10:10 am  #6

mm76or99 wrote:

The numbers are made up - they don't mean anything. Having guys with good numbers is better than not having guys with good numbers, but the guards from St Bona weren't rated at all, for instance, and the one guy dropped 40 on the Dukes. I don't think depending on freshman to contribute is the recipe for met expectations - but having more talent is better than having less. 

While I agree these rankings aren't anything to go by between who is #1-50 on the list, it is still impressive our guys made the list itself. When you look at the schools other guys on the list are attending, it is pretty clear this is the cream of the crop for the position. In that sense, it very much does mean something.

There are always guys that come out of the woodwork and become better than they were rated (Eric Williams), but making a list like this is also recognition that they are a top player among the landscape of high school hoops at their position.

2/09/2018 11:11 am  #7

Duques102 wrote:

mm76or99 wrote:

While I agree these rankings aren't anything to go by between who is #1-50 on the list, it is still impressive our guys made the list itself. When you look at the schools other guys on the list are attending, it is pretty clear this is the cream of the crop for the position. In that sense, it very much does mean something.

There are always guys that come out of the woodwork and become better than they were rated (Eric Williams), but making a list like this is also recognition that they are a top player among the landscape of high school hoops at their position.

I agree 102, thanks for posting.  Bizeau looks like a very skilled 6'11" and can shoot the three.  A guy like this can really open the floor for our guards.

2/09/2018 11:25 am  #8

They update this rating every week

2/09/2018 11:29 am  #9

CLK wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

mm76or99 wrote:

I agree 102, thanks for posting.  Bizeau looks like a very skilled 6'11" and can shoot the three.  A guy like this can really open the floor for our guards.

Bizeau's reported ability to step out and shoot it from deep definitely has me intrigued. The post game presser after Bona, Coach Dambrot talked of Tarin  being harder to guard and things opening up for the offense as a whole if we had a pick and pop guy working with him. Many of the sets run have our bigs getting the ball out by the three point line but you know they aren't shooting it, nor are they likely to put it on the deck and get to the rim.

2/09/2018 1:01 pm  #10

PistolPete wrote:

I really think Biz is a stretch 4 as opposed to a back to the basket big.  DS is more of a low post guy, but I think he will need at least a year of seasoning and conditioning.  Amari Kelly sounds like a power 4, which is great and I am not sure of the Rothfus (spelling) guy - maybe someone can give me some detail.  Anyway, like I said in prior post my concern is all you really have at the 5 Hughes, who is coming off an injury and year without playing.  TV is more of a power 4 with limited offensive game which I believe can improve.  So we will have more bodies for sure, but it will be interesting to see if we get better production out of the 5 spot; I think we will get more from the 4 next year. 

Remember Golden the big guy with the bun from Richmond is a freshman.  I would say that he has been a pretty impactful player in the A-10.  So freshman bigs can certainly make an impact.  One or more could even redshirt, but if not they might be worked in to situations based on their skill set.

2/09/2018 1:20 pm  #11

levon1975 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Remember Golden the big guy with the bun from Richmond is a freshman. I would say that he has been a pretty impactful player in the A-10. So freshman bigs can certainly make an impact. One or more could even redshirt, but if not they might be worked in to situations based on their skill set.

Golden seems like a jerk on the court, but will be a thorn in this league's side for years to come. Seeing that he's a freshman, I was curious as to how he was so jacked for only being a freshman. I was wondering if he was a prep school player because he looks more developed than an 18 or 19 year old in D-1. Turns out, he is actually a RS Freshman as he sat out most of last season after a cardiac issue in a December game vs Texas Tech. He wasn't cleared to run for a few months or play ball until the spring, so the articles and bio on him say he pounded the weights and is up 30 pounds from when he started at UR.

He has a younger brother that is signed and slated to play at pitt next year. Who knows if he ends up there or not based on the chatter out of Oakland on Stallings.

Last edited by Brian (2/09/2018 1:21 pm)

2/09/2018 1:33 pm  #12

levon1975 wrote:

Remember Golden the big guy with the bun from Richmond is a freshman. I would say that he has been a pretty impactful player in the A-10. So freshman bigs can certainly make an impact. One or more could even redshirt, but if not they might be worked in to situations based on their skill set.

I did not like that guy.  I look forward to Bizzou or Swingle dunking over his ass in the next few years!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/09/2018 1:37 pm  #13

Tejas_Duke wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

I did not like that guy.  I look forward to Bizzou or Swingle dunking over his ass in the next few years!

I watched him Saturday in Richmonds loss. He went about 2-12 and was out rebounded almost every time due to the other team, who bear the Spiders, getting position on him.

We didn't match up well with him and made him look better than he was.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/09/2018 2:53 pm  #14

Tejas_Duke wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Just watched Rotroff's highlights. He must of dunked over 100 times. He might be your man.

2/09/2018 3:46 pm  #15

WashPaRick wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Just watched Rotroff's highlights. He must of dunked over 100 times. He might be your man.

I sure hope so. We're getting Neil Hood level production from the guys we have now.

2/09/2018 3:52 pm  #16

I think kelly is going to be the biggest contributor right away around the basket. He is supposedly a great rebounder.  I think Biz will get some time too, as he can stretch the floor as a 4.

2/09/2018 4:38 pm  #17

WashPaRick wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

I like him too. Rotroff looks extremely solid fundamentally and has some thickness to go with his big frame. I read something about Bizeau being on a 4,000 calorie a day diet to bulk up. If he can add  some bulk over the course of a little less than a year, I think both of these guys could have a nice impact next year. I would probably redshirt Swingle and work him out for a year if he doesn't find a way to slim down a little by next fall.

2/09/2018 4:50 pm  #18

well it sure is nice to have options.  Maybe 1-2 of those guys are ready right away, maybe 1-2 need a year to adjust to college ball.  Maybe all 4 + Wade are a fab 5 and dominate the A10 next year.  OR, maybe they all suck.  But I'd rather have 3 centers/forwards in the top 50, and let them figure it out, than 1 in the top 250 and have to put a lot of eggs in one basket.  I keep a distant eye on their box scores, and they all seem able to put up big numbers.  I dont know the level of competion, but they also play AAU and all star games and seemingly do well there too.

I mention on twitter to Sarah, we might need a nickname for the bigs or the class in general.  Looks impressive.

Board footera