Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2018 1:38 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (home)

Lets hope he doesnt find a way back in.   

KD might as well put the bench in.  Let the guys at the end try to score.   

I guess the A10 figured out whatever we were doing early in january and shut it down and there was no answer.

2/10/2018 1:38 pm  #27

Pretty sure Kerry didn't attend DU, especially with that excellent vocab. Hopefully he's blocked.

2/10/2018 1:53 pm  #28

RE: Kerrywood? who in their right mind would bother trolling Duquesne? Surely he can't be a Fordham fan?  Sad to say, as the saying goes "the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference" and most A 10 people are indifferent to us.  Who would care enough to troll our board?

​Strange

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/10/2018 1:59 pm  #29

Phildog, am I still an ignorant fan or a knowledgable basketball fan ? This offense does not pass or move. KD's stubbornness to stay with man when they should have gone to a trapping zone defense is ridiculous ! This team can not play man to man defense. Just like I stated earlier in the week, it looks like he lost his players. Fordham is a terrible team to say the least. I gave this team credit when it was deserved but I don't sugarcoat poor efforts.  If this team does not look like a Ferry coached team, you're kidding yourself. I am willing to wait until he gets a full roster of his own players, but I do not like his in game adjustments to date.

2/10/2018 2:07 pm  #30

Wildwood13 wrote:

Phildog, am I still an ignorant fan or a knowledgable basketball fan ? This offense does not pass or move. KD's stubbornness to stay with man when they should have gone to a trapping zone defense is ridiculous ! This team can not play man to man defense. e.

​I think Dambrot needs to be asked this question: "How do you let the worst team in the League run the following offense on your team: Basically dribble the ball at mid court for ten seconds and then basically run a 15 second offense at you, with guys getting wide open?  

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/10/2018 2:09 pm  #31

Your last part is most relevant 13.   He has no options.  Brown and TV have zero offense.   If EW and ML arent hot, there is no scoring.
Fordham made everything today.   Theey coulda beat half the A10.
  Its sad to watch the wheels fall off.  The week off will allow the whole program to look at itself.  With at least 6 games left, a lot can still be gained for future teams/players, maybe a CBI bid.

Last edited by townsonkid (2/10/2018 2:10 pm)

2/10/2018 2:12 pm  #32

townsonkid wrote:

Your last part is most relevant 13.   He has no options.  Brown and TV have zero offense.   If EW and ML arent hot, there is no scoring.
Fordham made everything today.   Theey coulda beat half the A10.
  Its sad to watch the wheels fall off.  The week off will allow the whole program to look at itself.  With at least 6 games left, a lot can still be gained for future teams/players, maybe a CBI bid.

Agreed. This team is too one dimensional this year. If the guards aren't scoring, we aren't winning. EW seems to be hitting the freshmen wall. Hopefully this week off allows everyone to rest up and recharge.

2/10/2018 2:15 pm  #33

Wildwood13 wrote:

Phildog, am I still an ignorant fan or a knowledgable basketball fan ? This offense does not pass or move. KD's stubbornness to stay with man when they should have gone to a trapping zone defense is ridiculous ! This team can not play man to man defense. Just like I stated earlier in the week, it looks like he lost his players. Fordham is a terrible team to say the least. I gave this team credit when it was deserved but I don't sugarcoat poor efforts.  If this team does not look like a Ferry coached team, you're kidding yourself. I am willing to wait until he gets a full roster of his own players, but I do not like his in game adjustments to date.

Forgive me for name calling, you are hitting the nail on the head.
I predicted 15 wins preseason, and it may hold true as I don't know who would lose to this squad at this point.

The magic was lost at the Richmond loss, and the rest of the year has soured as the Ferry look comes back more and more of the players game.

Endless dribbling leading to forced shots and turnovers has become the norm. The weakness in many of our guys games is glaring, once again Duquesne fades at season end, regardless of coaching change. And yes, defense is missing.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/10/2018 3:07 pm  #34

Despite his off the rail rants, he probably had one too many vodka's, Kerrywoodwin had valid points.  We let one of the worst teams in the league, with no conference road wins, come into our place with 2 of their best players out or injured (only 6 scholie players) and dictate the game and kick our butts.  Really this performance was inexcusable.  If they have an extremely short bench you need to tire them out, not do what they did as pointed out in Tejas' question - which by the way should be forwarded to Sarah to ask KD directly when he shows up for a presser!!!  That was as poignant as it gets Tejas and 100% correct.  Wildwood is right too, Fordham needed to be trapped and pressured and my perspective on a quality coach is simply his "adaptability", which is making me wonder about what KD is thinking.  Sure he doesn't have the players he wants yet, but that can't be changed, coaching approach can and should.  How can Fordham run the clock down every possession and then somehow generally get an open look in the last 10 seconds?  We on the other hand dribble around, get pressured and then are forced to get a shot up.  Their D was so much better than ours as well, but part of it is our inept offense.  Are their 6 players that much better than ours that we cannot concoct an offense that can create ball movement to get open looks?  This dribbling by RC at the top of the key as if he is playing 1 on 5 is getting very old and frankly KD should be insisting on better ball movement and lower/wing screens.  Tarin gets to the hoop so much quicker and I believe the offense flows much better when he is in there as he can dish or get to the hoop in a couple of seconds.  I am not trashing RC's game, as he has contributed this year, but when it is not working the Coach needs to make a quick adjustment.  The Rams pressured RC out front right out of the gate and he doesn't have the quickness to exploit that and then the offense just stagnates.  Some other thoughts: (i) the CBrown experiment needs to end, please just play JRob and Tydus at the 5 and anyone else at the 4; (ii) we can't blame the students for not attending when you provide this type of "entertainment" when you get a nice student crowd; and (iii) I don't care how well Fordham was shooting, they got too many open looks.  We'll see what this team does with a week off, but as Sarah wrote in the PG today this game was going to be critical to the season.  I think it will be very hard to keep the wheels on the bus with the upcoming schedule.  Very, very disheartening. 

2/10/2018 3:07 pm  #35

Phildog wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

Phildog, am I still an ignorant fan or a knowledgable basketball fan ? This offense does not pass or move. KD's stubbornness to stay with man when they should have gone to a trapping zone defense is ridiculous ! This team can not play man to man defense. Just like I stated earlier in the week, it looks like he lost his players. Fordham is a terrible team to say the least. I gave this team credit when it was deserved but I don't sugarcoat poor efforts. If this team does not look like a Ferry coached team, you're kidding yourself. I am willing to wait until he gets a full roster of his own players, but I do not like his in game adjustments to date.

Forgive me for name calling, you are hitting the nail on the head.
I predicted 15 wins preseason, and it may hold true as I don't know who would lose to this squad at this point.

The magic was lost at the Richmond loss, and the rest of the year has soured as the Ferry look comes back more and more of the players game.

Endless dribbling leading to forced shots and turnovers has become the norm. The weakness in many of our guys games is glaring, once again Duquesne fades at season end, regardless of coaching change. And yes, defense is missing.

​Remember what Coach Dale said in Hoosiers. " Pass the ball 4 times before you take a shot."

2/10/2018 3:08 pm  #36

And Phil you are right about losing the magic with the Richmond loss - I said the same thing to a couple buddies - I think that was a turning point.

2/10/2018 3:11 pm  #37

Teams have figured out that we only have 4 A10 level players and adjusted accordingly. Hopefully the week off will help, and we can squeeze out 2 more wins.

2/10/2018 3:34 pm  #38

In all my years of following Duquesne football and basketball, I have never felt so elated at the prospects of a couple special seasons and then so let down.

To miss the NCAA Playoffs in football after being up late and then missing the chip shot FG AND THEN losing by 23 to Fordham at home after winning there by 23 in basketball just ripped my heart out.

Poor Kellon Taylor... he played well today and had to be on both teams!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/10/2018 4:08 pm  #39

coffee wrote:

In all my years of following Duquesne football and basketball, I have never felt so elated at the prospects of a couple special seasons and then so let down.

To miss the NCAA Playoffs in football after being up late and then missing the chip shot FG AND THEN losing by 23 to Fordham at home after winning there by 23 in basketball just ripped my heart out.

Football was indeed disappointing because the team was actually good. People let their imagination run away with the basketball team. Crazy talk about at large bids, and the NIT. If you really took a cold eyed look at the team, even when they were winning, you realized that the team didn't have enough to get to those places. Yeah, we lost some close ones that could have gone our way, but we won some of those as well. We took advantage of a favorable schedule to build a nice record, but it was going to be nearly impossible to keep that up when the schedule toughened up, not with a 4 man team, with no inside game. EW Jr. has hit his first tough stretch. If any of the other guards also struggle, it's almost a sure loss against any other A 10 team, unless they also play poorly. The week off will help. Let's set some realistic goals, like a winning season, and a bid to the CBI. All of you would have taken that back in November, especially after losing to Bobby Mo and Pitt. Get you chins up, the season's not over yet. More bright spots are yet to come.

2/10/2018 4:16 pm  #40

Brutal day for the team,coaching staff and our message board.
Two minutes in I told my wife they looked flat but I did't think it would last all day.
I will defer the "X's" and "O's" opinions to folks on the board who know much more than I do but
I thought the defense was horrible and the point play was atrocious. 
In their defense our big men are not offensive options and yes the A10 knows it.
TOO MUCH DRIBBLING. 
I also give the Fordham coaching staff and players a tip of the cap.
Perfect road game considering their depleted roster and our offensive limitations.
Peaks and valleys folks. I still trust the process. KD will take us to the promised land but there will be some rough days on the way.
As far as the message board goes that person was either a bad troll or emotionally disturbed.
Probably a combination of the two. Just desperate for attention.
I hope he gets the professional help he needs.

Last edited by Ghost of Walter White (2/10/2018 4:17 pm)

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

2/10/2018 4:34 pm  #41

PistolPete wrote:

And Phil you are right about losing the magic with the Richmond loss - I said the same thing to a couple buddies - I think that was a turning point.

I agree with you both. I was at that game and you could feel the air go out of the balloon. It was a nice win at GW that I drove down for but that, apparently was just a positive blip. Robinson and Taylor did their best on the inside but, yeah, the guards and wings had nothing today. Fight on!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/10/2018 7:19 pm  #42

Bad game. Let's move on. For a team no one thought would do anything, somehow we think they're underachieving now.

I'm still solidly behind them. 🙂

2/10/2018 8:02 pm  #43

ElDuque wrote:

Bad game. Let's move on. For a team no one thought would do anything, somehow we think they're underachieving now.

Thank you for saying this.  My feelings exactly.

2/10/2018 8:10 pm  #44

duqkurt wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Thank you for saying this. My feelings exactly.

Aye.

A week off, maybe something better to close the season. If not, next year looks really good anyway.

2/10/2018 8:34 pm  #45

I was at the doubleheader today.  Tough day to be a fan, seeing both teams get slaughtered by teams that they'd already beat on the road this year.  Despite today's showing against Fordham, I'm not ready to jump off the Armstrong Tunnels.  I see a lot of parallels with Everhart's first season. He inherited a mess, got an undermanned team to overachieve for a while, then it petered out at the end of the season, but better things were to come.  I fear maybe this team is hitting its petering-out period.  It doesn't mean that Dambrot has to change everything he's doing now that has made him successful before. I couldn't bring myself to see a men's game last year for the first time in many years, but this year I've been to 8 games.  I'm having fun following the men's program again. I think they've had a good year.  I'm looking forward to those better times ahead.

2/10/2018 10:30 pm  #46

applecorps wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Thank you for saying this. My feelings exactly.

Aye.

A week off, maybe something better to close the season. If not, next year looks really good anyway.

Even next year, I'm not expecting great things. I expect for them to be better, but year three is when I want to really see something. They'll be a heavily senior and junior dominated team. I won't accept any excuses that season, and if they don't have a big year. I'll start to have some doubts.  Now let's go get that CBI bid!

2/11/2018 8:54 am  #47

coffee wrote:

Ok... I'm down off the ledge.  Finish strong for Renee, Chas and those leaving.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/11/2018 9:04 am  #48

Enough of this pampering.  Yes the future looks bright.  Yes this team has overachieved this year and driven up expectations.  However this loss was inexcusable.  The team was not ready to play, lacked intensity and toughness that they displayed all year.  The Dukes got clobbered at home to the worst team in the League.  I don't really want to hear excuses about fatigue and short turn around either.  Fordham had to travel, was without their best player, and only had 6 scholarship players.  At this point I don't give a crap about next season.  I don't want to see this type of basketball (if that is what we saw yesterday by the Dukes) anymore this season.  I don't want to see a bunch  street ballers, ball hogs, or quitters on defense, nor do I want to hear excuses that they are tired.  I want to see the effort we saw again URI and the Bonnies and let the chips fall where they may.  Anything less and I will be disappointed.

2/11/2018 9:57 am  #49

Well look at it this way, they are 15-11 and could have legitimately been anywhere between:

12 - 14  (lose the other two overtime games and the GW squeaker)

​18 - 8 (win the Richmond OT game and one of the two buzzer beaters in OT.  Don't see them legitimately beating both those teams in OT, but still......)

​Going into this season if you were told the probabilities of their record being between 12-18  wins at this point in the season, you would have taken that in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (2/11/2018 5:22 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/11/2018 10:50 am  #50

"If you see somebody at the top of the Palumbo Center on the roof tonight that’s probably going to be me.  I have a good facade. I can fake left and go right, but I’m not a happy guy right now. I work too hard at this to have performances like that. I must second-guess myself, our staff, whatever we have to do. It’s not the players. I refuse to put it on the players. It’s all of us. ... They didn’t bring me here not to win, so when we don’t win or we don’t play well that’s on me. I'm a big boy."  - Keith Dambrot

I give KD credit.  He knows what this team is capable of doing. Yesterday's performance  was not acceptable, no excuse.  The last thing KD wants is for this team to fold like a cheap tent in the last 5 games of the season and be known as "The Same Old Dukes".     

Last edited by CLK (2/11/2018 10:58 am)

Board footera