Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2018 9:07 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - Saint Joseph's Hawks

I did a little analysis.  Here are Lewis's #s for the season:

Shots                      3's
Loss Total       37-116  31.9%      23-78  24.5%
Loss Home     14-30    46.7%        9-21  42.9%
Loss Away      23-86    26.7%      14-57  24.6% 

Wins               82-189  43.4%      50-124  40.3%

Total             119-305  39.0%       73-202  36.1%

3 shots as a % of total  66.2%

2 things become clear..  1. DU can't win with Lewis playing poorly, especially on the road...they are not deep enough and don't have enough talent.  2. Lewis has talent and can lead the team to victory when playing well...he is just inconsistent.  Hopefully he stays with the program and puts in the effort this off-season to improve his game and become more consistent.  There is a good chance that happens because he now knows what winning looks like, what KD expects and where he needs to improve.  This off-season will be critical for a few players and the program if it wants to take the next step and be one of the A10's top teams.  I can see them being one of the top 4 teams as early as next year because they have a lot of talent joining them next year, an off-season to improve and they know what KD expects and what is needed to win. 

The future still looks bright to me.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (2/19/2018 4:08 pm)

2/18/2018 1:02 pm  #27

fjhryn,
I agree with you.  It was also selfish.  He will be a good coach here and his record proves it, but He has to get more self-control.  I like it that he hates to lose,  But the evidence of him going off on Ray Goss and then the technical yesterday shows he is NOT used to losing...which we like.  But he has to handle this.  Just my 2 cents...

2/18/2018 2:47 pm  #28

The team was picked in preseason to finish last among 14 teams in the conference. What exactly does anyone expect at this point? I don't get moaning about losing a road game by single digits. Nobody likes to lose. Obviously. Yet this team continues to show up (with exception of the Fordham game lately). Last-place projections usually play out that way. A 7-point loss on the road in this league by the last-place projected team isn't a terrible commentary. And as for the current coach, anyone who blasts this guy beyond perhaps mentioning that he may or may not be hurting his team with technicals and he probably should go easy on older announcers is way out of line in my book. And as mentioned, all that's got to be a product of hating to lose. Let's all go back and rehire Jim Ferry, who thought he was still coaching in the NEC when he got to the A10. Duquesne is going to be a force under this guy. Give it some time, will ya? Sheesh.

2/18/2018 2:54 pm  #29

FAM wrote:

fjhryn,
I agree with you.  It was also selfish.  He will be a good coach here and his record proves it, but He has to get more self-control.  I like it that he hates to lose,  But the evidence of him going off on Ray Goss and then the technical yesterday shows he is NOT used to losing...which we like.  But he has to handle this.  Just my 2 cents...

Oh brother!  To my recollection that was his 1st, maybe 2nd technical of the year. Not like he going off on the refs like the URI coach.  Also, really tired of hearing about the Ray Goss nothing burger.  I think I need a vacation from this Board.

2/18/2018 3:15 pm  #30

I was at the Akron-Kent State game yesterday ( son goes to Kent).
Had an interesting conversation with a few Akron fans.
Trust me they would take Coach Dambrot back in a minute.
I agree with CLK....... Let's give him a recruiting class or 2 before we start hyperventilating.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

2/18/2018 4:01 pm  #31

Let's not Assume anything.  This has nothing to do with wins and losses.  My hope was that they were competitive in every game and they have been but one.  I get it - he is frustrated - I get it, out of the 40 years I have listened to DU bball 1 Duquesne coach is disrespectful on the air - AND I am 100% excited that we have such an excellent coach.  With that said, not missing the forest for the trees, his technical, his comments, etc. are because he is so frustrated.  He isn't used to losing which is a good thing.  I am also permitted to state I hope his frustrations don't manifest into other things. Now, let me say this again:  I love that he is here - I am glad the former coach is gone - we are fortunate to have him and he will win!  But as another poster had said, no one is blemish free.   No one is perfect!
Go Dukes

2/18/2018 4:52 pm  #32

You guys criticizing KD need to get back on your meds. He’s the best thing to happen to Duquesne Men’s BB in 40 years; so go to sleep now and wake up in about a year and see how things look!

2/18/2018 4:59 pm  #33

Amen !!!!!!

2/18/2018 5:43 pm  #34

Wow, some folks are very thin skinned.  Except for Our Lord and Savior, no one is perfect!  Folks can make comments!  We all have issues...even the best of us (: Just ask my wife!!!
LOL

Go Dukes

Last edited by FAM (2/18/2018 5:43 pm)

2/18/2018 10:43 pm  #35

Crosseye wrote:

The team was picked in preseason to finish last among 14 teams in the conference. What exactly does anyone expect at this point? I don't get moaning about losing a road game by single digits. Nobody likes to lose. Obviously. Yet this team continues to show up (with exception of the Fordham game lately). Last-place projections usually play out that way. A 7-point loss on the road in this league by the last-place projected team isn't a terrible commentary. And as for the current coach, anyone who blasts this guy beyond perhaps mentioning that he may or may not be hurting his team with technicals and he probably should go easy on older announcers is way out of line in my book. And as mentioned, all that's got to be a product of hating to lose. Let's all go back and rehire Jim Ferry, who thought he was still coaching in the NEC when he got to the A10. Duquesne is going to be a force under this guy. Give it some time, will ya? Sheesh.

The ones moaning and groaning are folks who somehow convinced themselves that we had become some sort of powerhouse overnight. There was crazy talk of at large bids and such. Now that the obvious warts and shortcomings of this roster have become apparent to even them, these folks are disappointed. I am very satisfied with our record. Yeah, we've lost a few tough ones, but Lamar, SF, LaSalle, GMU, and @GW all could very easily have been losses, so we've had our share of good luck. In November, everyone on this board would have taken 15-12 at this point of the season. We're playing with a D2 frontcourt. We've done just about the best we can playing 3 on 5.

2/19/2018 11:00 am  #36

duq81 wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

The ones moaning and groaning are folks who somehow convinced themselves that we had become some sort of powerhouse overnight. There was crazy talk of at large bids and such. Now that the obvious warts and shortcomings of this roster have become apparent to even them, these folks are disappointed. I am very satisfied with our record. Yeah, we've lost a few tough ones, but Lamar, SF, LaSalle, GMU, and @GW all could very easily have been losses, so we've had our share of good luck. In November, everyone on this board would have taken 15-12 at this point of the season. We're playing with a D2 frontcourt. We've done just about the best we can playing 3 on 5.

Duq81,

I do agree with most of your post expect your final point. In defense of Tydus, he's not polished offensively but he's got all conference defensive team upside and in my eyes, he'd merit consideration this year if not for the fact that he's is a freshman. I've watch a fair amount of A-10 games during the conference season and I'm not sure i could name 10-15 better defenders right now. Hardly, D-2 and hardly someone, I'd write off. 

2/19/2018 1:23 pm  #37

hmmm, what are there 10-15 recurring posters here?  And for some reason, fans of the program since the 1940s are now upset this team fell apart?  C'mon!  I admit I got a little drunk on the early winning, but kind of knew it wasnt going to last.  Not because the coach sucks, but because we are thin, because the schedule got tougher, because guys would get worn out.  Losing to Fordham was bad, St Joes wasnt much better.  

If a player grows the most b/w fresh and soph more years, we will have 2 solid guys in Williams and Tydus coming back.  Smith is athletic as they come.  Lewis will need to become a sharpshooter.  And 10 new guys, 5 of which have experience, a PG from HS who looks electric and bigs the likes we've never seen at once at DU.

I would calm down, and in a year from now the wheels fall off again, you have every reason to be concerned.

At this point, a winning record would be nice.  But I've seen enough to be okay with waiting another year to see some happy times on the Bluff.

2/19/2018 5:52 pm  #38

It could be worse.  Ask Huggins.   WVU had 2 foul shots to 35 for Kansas.
I heard KD, in a post game interview, say that teams are playing man to man on the three scorers,
Lewis, Kanedy and Williams and a two man zone on Verhoeven and Brown. He said that has no
scorers at the 4 and 5 spot. That could explain, in part, the recent decline in team performance.
I hope the team can win 2 more and finish 17-14,  For me, that would be a very good season.  A significant
improvement from  last year and a good start for next year.

2/19/2018 9:01 pm  #39

steve19981 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

Duq81,

I do agree with most of your post expect your final point. In defense of Tydus, he's not polished offensively but he's got all conference defensive team upside and in my eyes, he'd merit consideration this year if not for the fact that he's is a freshman. I've watch a fair amount of A-10 games during the conference season and I'm not sure i could name 10-15 better defenders right now. Hardly, D-2 and hardly someone, I'd write off. 

I really believe Verhoeven is a much better offensive player than he thinks. I would really like him to learn the art and geometry of using the glass and developing an inside and mid range game.  Too many times he has the position and shot but seems to lack the confidence to take it.  I think the coaches will work this kid hard in the off season and we will see a very dangerous player next season..

2/19/2018 11:05 pm  #40

Tydus will need to get stronger and work on his offense and confidence. There is incoming talent from within and from newcomers. Playing time will be hard to come by next year, but TD has remarkable shot-blocking skills, and appears to be agile in playing man-to-man D. I hope he can take the next step, because I think he can be a force in the A-10. Certainly has already established rim-protecting skills at a high level.

2/20/2018 9:40 am  #41

Looking forward to next year like all on the board. Still looking forward to the rest of this year! If Lewis hits even a couple of the 9 threes that he took, the game could have been appreciably different with a different outcome. If Williams does anything in the 1st half, the same could be said. This team hasn't quit by any stretch and could still pull out another A-10 win or two.  GO DUKES!!

Board footera