Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2018 10:26 pm  #1

Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (away)

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 02/21/2018 at the Reilly Center, Olean, NY
Per KenPom:
Dukes #191 (15-12; 6-8) vs St. Bonaventure #62 (20-6; 10-4)
St. Bonaventure projected to finish 3rd (13-5) in the 14 team Atlantic 10 Conference; Dukes projected to finish 9th (7-11)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 13, 79-66 - Dukes with 11% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 13 point underdogs; Over/Under 149
Duquesne 11-8 Against the Spread: St. Bonaventure 12-11 ATS

Previous Game this Season: St. Bonaventure 84-81 (home)
St. Bonaventure Best Win(s): Rhode Island (30); Maryland (37); Syracuse (45); Vermont (68)
St. Bonaventure Worst Loss(es): Niagara (196); Saint Joseph's (145); Dayton (156)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate
Top 100 ranking overall or top 3 in conference noted as a strength; Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 3 in conference as a weakness.

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure for the season:
Offensive Strength:  Gets to the FT Line (67); Turnover % (38)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Creates Turnovers (46); Effective FG% (63)
Defensive Weakness:  Sends Opponents to FT Line (310)

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure in conference (14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebounds (2); Effective FG% (3)
Defensive Strength:  Creates Turnovers (3)
Defensive Weakness:  Sends opponents to FT line (13)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 351 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebounds (37)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG% (94)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes in conference (14 teams)
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebounds (3)
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  Doesn't force turnovers (12); Allows Offensive Rebounds (12)

2/21/2018 8:49 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (away)

Yeah, not going to sugarcoat this: winning in Olean is tough, the Bonnie's are good this year, the Dukes have been stumbling a bit, and the season's getting late.

So, DU by 2.

2/21/2018 9:13 am  #3

Is this game televised on A-10 network or on cable (AT&T)?

2/21/2018 9:22 am  #4

Rather see the ladies game on AT&T, at least they have a shot to win.  I just cant see the Dukes going up to NY and winning at SBU.  We had a chance to get them at our places and that kid hit that 3 at the end.  
Tonight could be ugly, but I hope everything falls into place and we pull a road upset.

2/21/2018 9:22 am  #5

PistolPete wrote:

It is on Facebook

A diehard fan since 1961

2/21/2018 9:45 am  #6

Phildog wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

It is on Facebook

Pete just click on the link for Facebook Live in this link...   

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021918aab.html

All of the pressure is on SB.  They absolutely can not afford to lose to DU as their chances for at large bid would be gone.  The Dukes have a real chance for a major upset tonight.  Go Dukes!

2/21/2018 11:56 am  #7

Maybe the Dukes can catch the Bonnies in some kind of letdown or trap game coming after their big win over Rhode Island and before a trip to Richmond to play VCU. Still would likely need Mike Lewis to step up and have a big game to have a chance to win this one.

2/21/2018 12:03 pm  #8

The Dukes vs. Bonnies rivalry has long been of the "throw the records out the window" variety.  Each team has gone into its opponent's building and come out with a win when they had no right to many times over the years.  El Duque may be right on the money with his prediction, but I'm hoping the game ends with Mike Lewis dribbling out the clock and the SBU players standing around dejectedly. 

2/21/2018 12:06 pm  #9

If I recall - and my old brain is getting foggy - the Bonnies walloped us by a three-pointer with time running out twenty days ago. That was a game when Jaylen Adams went off for 40 points.  Granted, that game was at home and this game in Olean, but there is an opportunity there. I'd imagine that the defensive scheme might be adjusted and that at the very least Adams will be guarded differently. 

At this point, any reasonable fan of the Dukes has got to be a long-timer. Its not like there are a lot of new converts who have been swaddled in recent glory. I'll continue to hope for the best, especially with a better best waiting for us next year.

Go Dukes!

2/21/2018 1:36 pm  #10

First I want them to win.  Second, if the other team wins, I will go back for my hope from the beginning of this year for this time with this new coach.  They have to be competitive, play hard, and not give up.
Go Dukes

2/21/2018 2:27 pm  #11

Thanks CLK

2/21/2018 2:59 pm  #12

Betting line down to 10.

2/21/2018 3:02 pm  #13

Looking forward to seeing a Dukes team come out and play hard throughout the game. If they do that, there is always a chance to win even in Olean, NY! If Adams had not gone off for 40 points at Palumbo, the Bonnies would never have won here. Let's keep him to 20 and I'll take my chances.

2/21/2018 4:45 pm  #14

The team is in a real tough spot tonight.

In the event they are hanging with the Bonnies ( especially late )  look for a series of close / questionable calls to go against DU.

That is just the way the referees are programmed - bail out the better team , especially at home.

I'll leave it to the conspiracy theorists to make a call whether they gets this sort of "directive " ( subtle or otherwise ) from the league offices.

2/21/2018 7:44 pm  #15

Facebook broadcast is bad

A diehard fan since 1961

2/21/2018 7:57 pm  #16

Not a bad first half.
Tied and at Dukes pace.
You never know.

2/21/2018 7:58 pm  #17

Like the low scoring game so far.

2/21/2018 8:34 pm  #18

If our guards could throw it in the ocean this game would be over. Bonnies are fit to be had tonight.Someone tell the coach that Lewis is obviously not shooting his way out of this prolonged slump.

2/21/2018 9:16 pm  #19

ghost wrote:

In the event they are hanging with the Bonnies ( especially late )  look for a series of close / questionable calls to go against DU.

That is just the way the referees are programmed - bail out the better team , especially at home.

I'll leave it to the conspiracy theorists to make a call whether they gets this sort of "directive " ( subtle or otherwise ) from the league offices.

You called this one.

2/21/2018 9:19 pm  #20

ghost wrote:

Bingo. Thought the game was called way too close, lots of borderline calls against both teams. But down the stretch, the slightest contact called on the Dukes, refs look away when a Duquesne player gets mugged. And then when the Dukes needed to foul to stop the clock late, the refs suddenly put their whistles away. Oh well, add it to the list of great moral victories in Duquesne basketball history. 

2/21/2018 9:21 pm  #21

Pretty obvious who the A10 wanted to win. Garbage.

2/21/2018 9:30 pm  #22

CLK wrote:

ghost wrote:

You called this one.

I don't think I have ever blamed the overall game calling of officials as effecting an outcome on this board, I spent a little time tooting the whistle once upon a time ago and was taught to always get the call right, reguardless who the home team was.

But the calls on drives by Bonas and lack of the same on Duquesne  drives, almost every rebound and finally after mugging Rene near the end of game and not calling an and one, then fouling Smith on a three that knocked him down on a made 25 footer then, letting it go. Then JRob and C Brown fouling out on drives they were conceding ! I felt bad for those three officials, they knew what they we doing and can't convince themselves they called it fairly.

Those kids played their hearts out and deserved a fair shake.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/21/2018 9:41 pm  #23

Here is what I think after watching most of the game:
1. the team plays defense with effort and they will be a VERY good defensive team next year.
2. they have very limited inside scoring opportunities.  This hurts them in many ways.  SB was able to help on the outside shooters and there were few open looks.
3. they dribble way to much and don't move well without the ball...the exception is Williams.
4. there are no "catch and shoot" guys which causes guys to move with the ball to create space.
5. Williams plays out of control at times.  I love his passion and energy...next year he should be a monster.
6. Lewis is a good player but can't seem to create his own shot. Adams was covered almost as well as Lewis but he was able to get a good shot off.  Lewis had only a few good looks.  

There is not enough talent to win games against good teams right now...especially on the offensive side...and especially on the road.  I really hope Lewis sticks with DU.  He definitely plays hard on defense so I don't think he has not given up. If he spend time this off-season working on his game I think he will be the player everyone here thinks he can be.  For now...he disappears on the road (offensively) and the team just does not have enough offense to win without him. 

I can see that KD has the team playing defense the way he wants but the offense is not where it will eventually be.  Ball movement will definitely improve next year.  For me....I am enjoying watching the development of this team and program.  I am a Cleveland Indians fan and I lived 40 years before they were ever competitive.  40+ years and they never were in contention.  I know how it is to keep waiting for next year.  The Indians did turn it around and I believe DU will too.  It is just hard to live through it when you are emotionally involved.  

Go Dukes!!!

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (2/21/2018 9:43 pm)

2/21/2018 9:47 pm  #24

Williams came to play. Held Mobeley in a drought. 1-10

2/21/2018 10:57 pm  #25

I don't really think the A-10 or other leagues give direction on how to call games for the conference's benefit. I do believe that low achieving programs like ours get less calls & higher achieving programs get more calls. I have absolutely no doubt that JRob & Chas haven't gotten a fair shake from an A-10 crew all year. Tonight's calls against those two were really bad & based on their history rather than their actions.

I was very happy to see the defense tonight & am proud that this team continues to battle despite a really rough stretch. Losing by 6, on the road at a place with a great home court advantage, to one of the hotter teams in the country, on a historic win streak with a top 5, senior laden backcourt that must win to gain an at-large bid is nothing to be embarrassed about.

KD/staff have managed this situation well over the last 2 games. They have their guys engaged & through sound game planning have put them in a position to win. This bodes well for the future. At the moment, there simply isn't enough talent  the in the paint on the offensive end.

Does anyone else recall seeing a talented Duke struggle as mightily as MLewis has over the last 3 weeks?

I grew up in Olean as a die hard, Brown Indian fan. I went to every SBU home game for years, attended & coached at basketball camps there for 2 decades, took some summer classes there, have known many players well, I still have friends/family that make their living in the SBU athletic department, & I have been friendly with every coaching staff until this one. I love to see the Bonnies succeed. However, even in a season when losing to our Dukes tonight would have been catastrophic for their NCAA chances, there is never even a second that I route for SBU to beat the Dukes. Being a sports fan is weird.

I really believe that aside from Bob Lanier, Mark Schmidt is the best thing that ever happened to that program. DU missed the boat on him. In today's sports climate, it is stunning that he has stayed there this long. 

Board footera