Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2018 8:23 am  #1

Disappointing Fordham Loss

After watching Coach Burt’s postgame presser, I really admire his candor and knowledge of the game. He knew what went wrong. The Dukes were physically overpowered in all aspects of the game. The offense was absolutely stagnant. It was hard to watch a guard dribble or hold the ball for ten seconds every time on every possession. Why were the two posts constantly passing to each other outside the three point line instead of a high-low presence? The only three in the 4th quarter came when there was crisp ball movement. The Dukes cannot walk the ball up the court, especially against physical, aggressive teams. There was no offensive flow. On Defense, the Dukes were best when they packed a zone and tried to clog the middle. As Coach said in the presser, no ball pressure allowed Fordham to do what they wanted. Change has to happen.

In our NCAA year, the Dukes pressed more. That might help. Challenging the ball at all times has to be better. Perhaps, is time to play a bigger zone. Live with the freshman big’s mistakes rather than the two sophs’ mistakes. There is a bigger upside there. Having size never hurts! On offense against Fordham three starters were non-existent with 0, 1, and 5 points. Ball movement and valuing the ball are imperative. Work the ball inside. Work faster on offense.

I trust Coach Burt. He will adjust. The team must adjust to the fact that everyone in the league knows what they do. Make some tweaks and win the A10 tourney! Go Dukes!

2/22/2018 10:55 am  #2

Re: Disappointing Fordham Loss

HookShot is absolutely right.I also wondered if the starter has not made a field goal in their first 30 minutes of  playing time maybe it could be time for something else. Yesterday they all were in the court in the last moments of the game despite being cold in offense.It could have not been much  more ineffective.

2/22/2018 1:12 pm  #3

Agree with many of the previous comments about the Fordham loss.

Although I've been around WBB for 35 years, I have perhaps 10% of the knowledge on what's wrong and how to fix things than Dan and his coaching staff, but having said that, a few observations.

1) We lack the athleticism to pressure the perimeter, but I have seen non-athletic teams use various forms of zone pressure (two defenders on the player with the ball) while their other three defenders protect the rim- and it can be disruptive.

2) Since we cannot out-quick the Dayton's, the St. Joseph's, the Fordham's- suggest going with a large front line (Lass, Cannon, and Kuttor) and substitute with Helmi and Judy- and use a 2-3 zone, but with the zone pressure described above.  The key would be, at least one (and preferably) two of the posts would  always be defending the paint.  I'd rather take our chances allowing jump shots than allowing point blank lay-ups.

3) Our offensive strategy has been quite effective over the past 3-4 years; a credit to Matt.  If you've noticed, A10 teams have begun figuring out how to better defend it so I would suggest it could be tweaked with more screens and high-lows designed to give our posts more and better looks inside.

I think our players are doing the best they can.  Long term (and I think Dan may already have a couple of overseas players coming to Duquesne in 2 years), is we need exceptional length at the post.   

2/22/2018 5:29 pm  #4

Well, an at large bid is down the drain now. Looks like another WNIT bid for us.

2/23/2018 7:09 am  #5

They're still playing games, right?

Let's finish the season first. Then we can talk about the A10 Tournament.

Board footera