Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2018 11:05 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (away)

DSynder15 and Phil95, well said gentlemen! 

2/21/2018 11:31 pm  #27

phil95 wrote:

I don't really think the A-10 or other leagues give direction on how to call games for the conference's benefit. I do believe that low achieving programs like ours get less calls & higher achieving programs get more calls. I have absolutely no doubt that JRob & Chas haven't gotten a fair shake from an A-10 crew all year. Tonight's calls against those two were really bad & based on their history rather than their actions.

I was very happy to see the defense tonight & am proud that this team continues to battle despite a really rough stretch. Losing by 6, on the road at a place with a great home court advantage, to one of the hotter teams in the country, on a historic win streak with a top 5, senior laden backcourt that must win to gain an at-large bid is nothing to be embarrassed about.

KD/staff have managed this situation well over the last 2 games. They have their guys engaged & through sound game planning have put them in a position to win. This bodes well for the future. At the moment, there simply isn't enough talent  the in the paint on the offensive end.

Does anyone else recall seeing a talented Duke struggle as mightily as MLewis has over the last 3 weeks?

I grew up in Olean as a die hard, Brown Indian fan. I went to every SBU home game for years, attended & coached at basketball camps there for 2 decades, took some summer classes there, have known many players well, I still have friends/family that make their living in the SBU athletic department, & I have been friendly with every coaching staff until this one. I love to see the Bonnies succeed. However, even in a season when losing to our Dukes tonight would have been catastrophic for their NCAA chances, there is never even a second that I route for SBU to beat the Dukes. Being a sports fan is weird.

I really believe that aside from Bob Lanier, Mark Schmidt is the best thing that ever happened to that program. DU missed the boat on him. In today's sports climate, it is stunning that he has stayed there this long. 

The timing wasn't right for us to get Schmidt, just like it was never right for Jarrett when he was winning at RMU.

PS,
Don't forget the Stith Brothers. Bona wasn't bad under Jim Satalin either.

2/22/2018 5:52 am  #28

2 Thoughts on the Game
1.  I wanted competitive, let them know you are in a game.  We got that!!!
2.  Schmidt has turned out to be one of the better coaches in the league and folks might not recognize that.  I didn't know he was that good when he coached at Robert Morris.  To even be able to recruit up there is amazing to me but they have had a strong following over the years.

Last edited by FAM (2/22/2018 5:52 am)

2/22/2018 8:30 am  #29

I need a break from all this.  These games are like groundhog day(the movie), its the same ol stuff.  Nothing changes.  Defense was good, but too many fouls, too many empty possessions, shitty FT shooting, sometimes they look like fools out there and sometimes they look decent.  I am tired, frustrated, need to not watch the next 3 losses(in the same fashion), but will tune into the action from DC, hopefully we can win 1-2 there.  Can 2018-19 season start today?

2/22/2018 9:14 am  #30

Yes, towson, please take a break if you need to. I rather enjoyed last night's affair. The Dukes, picked last in the league, if anyone still needs reminded, put on quite a show at the reilly center, where you don't just waltz in and steal victories very often. That game was right there til the end. Once again, this coach was able to hold his players' attention in time to nearly steal a win against a superior opponent on the road. Are the former DU coach and AD listening? Thanks to the current regime (prez, AD, coach), we have a program in the making!

2/22/2018 9:49 am  #31

Crosseye wrote:

Yes, towson, please take a break if you need to. I rather enjoyed last night's affair. The Dukes, picked last in the league, if anyone still needs reminded, put on quite a show at the reilly center, where you don't just waltz in and steal victories very often. That game was right there til the end. Once again, this coach was able to hold his players' attention in time to nearly steal a win against a superior opponent on the road. Are the former DU coach and AD listening? Thanks to the current regime (prez, AD, coach), we have a program in the making!

I wasnt looking for your permission, but thanks.

2/22/2018 10:39 am  #32

KenPom’s rating of officials may be looked at dubiously but it does show what games these guys are working and how many.  It would be tough to argue the fact that on a continuous bases this year the Dukes have had some of the worst rated crews. I believe this absolutely stems from where they were slotted. I also believe the A-10 is getting the short end of the stick in their alliance with several other conferences in the sharing of officials.

Joff Pon who is rated 171 out of 200 officials had last nights game and it is the 5th time he has had the Dukes this year. I can tell you that this is going to be a subject at future league meetings.

2/22/2018 10:55 am  #33

townsonkid wrote:

I need a break from all this.  These games are like groundhog day(the movie), its the same ol stuff.  Nothing changes.  Defense was good, but too many fouls, too many empty possessions, shitty FT shooting, sometimes they look like fools out there and sometimes they look decent.  I am tired, frustrated, need to not watch the next 3 losses(in the same fashion), but will tune into the action from DC, hopefully we can win 1-2 there.  Can 2018-19 season start today?

Duquesne ft % 78.3 (18-23)

If Duquesne had played this way since after the first Bonas win we would be in a much better position in the standings.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/22/2018 11:19 am  #34

Towson I agree with you in some ways regarding this second half of the season being like groundhog day. Especially on the board, it seems like the same conversations every week since the slide. We have people jumping off the cliff, doubting Dambrot, and the. The other side of people being reassuring, bringing up expectations for this year prior to the season, etc.

I haven't been posting much because there hasn't been much new to say on a week to week basis. I won't stop watching the games but I am also not taking much new from them at this point. My overall thoughts on the season that will likely not change for better or worse (barring crazy A10 tourney run ending with a bid):

Dambrot has had a very good season taking a team that is equally or maybe less talented than last year's group and surpassing last year's results early in the season.

Barring a couple stinkers, this team has competed hard night in and night out and almost every game has been close, even against probably eventual tournament teams in URI and Bonnie's. We have shown the ability to compete hard and fight back in games, even working with inferior talent on the team.

This team is comprised of a bunch of freshman and guys who have never really had lead roles on the d1 level. This has been way better than expected in most people's eyes so far.

Ten new faces next year. Most of the reason I feel we can't weigh too heavily on one result or another this year. Get ready for more size, depth, and talent than we have ever seen. At least three new starters either sitting on the bench or coming in next year in my opinion. Should be enough to get us over the line in a lot of the 2 and 3 point contests we've lost this year.

We were picked DEAD LAST. Basically because our team on paper was worse than last year's crap team before the season started. Anyone who is not impressed with this year's results are not being realistic.

Williams and Lewis have fallen off in the second half in terms of point production. Really hard to lean on a freshman and sophomore for 30+ games and expect the same results game in and game out. Both will be great players going forward, and will have exponentially more help and less pressure on their shoulders next year. Should help with consistency.

We went into another hostile environment last night again, essentially with one hand tied behind our back when you look at our talent vs theirs, and still almost pulled the game out. Would have been a 20 point loss the last couple years.

So just chill, and trust the process. Things could be a whole lot worse.

2/22/2018 11:25 am  #35

townsonkid wrote:

I understand the frustration, as we all have the right to be subjective about things. There were too many fouls, yes, although the officiating was ticky-tack, especially when the Bonnies were driving the basketball. There were too many empty possessions, but that's going to happen when you're playing 3 on 5 with no inside offensive presence. They do sometimes look like fools. They're 18-21 year old kids, none of which were considered high-level recruits, so that's expected.

But the free throw shooting? The Dukes shot 18-23 from the line last night. That's 78.3%, which would be good for fifth in the nation over the course of a season. We can't forget facts, too.

I was pleased with last night's effort. We could and probably should have won both games against a supposedly more talented team with NCAA aspirations. The team hasn't quit. The future is bright. I choose to focus on the positives after this one. The trajectory is upward. The pressure begins next year, when I think it will be expected to win games like this.

Last edited by mjp1542 (2/22/2018 11:25 am)

2/22/2018 11:37 am  #36

We got what we needed to see last night and that was a hard working team that played for 40 minutes. Again, if Lewis hits anything we could have won this one. Not putting blame on one guy though. Others missed shots that, if they fell, would have made the difference. KD has the team playing as well as it's going to and the coaching has done nothing, for the most part, but keep us in games that we should lose by a bigger margin than we are seeing. I feel really good about the future of this program and am not throwing in the towel on this season as far as possible wins in the closing week or so. Any of the three remaining games could go our way if we continue to play hard. Won't say wait till next year until the season for the Dukes is officially over.  GO DUKES!!

2/22/2018 12:00 pm  #37

Duques102 wrote:

Towson I agree with you in some ways regarding this second half of the season being like groundhog day. Especially on the board, it seems like the same conversations every week since the slide. We have people jumping off the cliff, doubting Dambrot, and the. The other side of people being reassuring, bringing up expectations for this year prior to the season, etc.

I haven't been posting much because there hasn't been much new to say on a week to week basis. I won't stop watching the games but I am also not taking much new from them at this point. My overall thoughts on the season that will likely not change for better or worse (barring crazy A10 tourney run ending with a bid):

Dambrot has had a very good season taking a team that is equally or maybe less talented than last year's group and surpassing last year's results early in the season.

Barring a couple stinkers, this team has competed hard night in and night out and almost every game has been close, even against probably eventual tournament teams in URI and Bonnie's. We have shown the ability to compete hard and fight back in games, even working with inferior talent on the team.

This team is comprised of a bunch of freshman and guys who have never really had lead roles on the d1 level. This has been way better than expected in most people's eyes so far.

Ten new faces next year. Most of the reason I feel we can't weigh too heavily on one result or another this year. Get ready for more size, depth, and talent than we have ever seen. At least three new starters either sitting on the bench or coming in next year in my opinion. Should be enough to get us over the line in a lot of the 2 and 3 point contests we've lost this year.

We were picked DEAD LAST. Basically because our team on paper was worse than last year's crap team before the season started. Anyone who is not impressed with this year's results are not being realistic.

Williams and Lewis have fallen off in the second half in terms of point production. Really hard to lean on a freshman and sophomore for 30+ games and expect the same results game in and game out. Both will be great players going forward, and will have exponentially more help and less pressure on their shoulders next year. Should help with consistency.

We went into another hostile environment last night again, essentially with one hand tied behind our back when you look at our talent vs theirs, and still almost pulled the game out. Would have been a 20 point loss the last couple years.

So just chill, and trust the process. Things could be a whole lot worse.

I'm not jumping off, just taking a break, gotta work this weekend so wont see/hear the Davie game.  
Heck, I'm excited for the future.  We have 4 guys coming back that will be tough(EW, ML, TV, and TS).  And the new blood coming in should fix, if not solve a lot of issues we see today.
Dont worry, I'm not going anywhere.  Like most here, we've been thru worse and came back for more!!!  

I made a note earlier in the year when DU was shooting, as a team, over 70%, since then they have been pretty bad.  Had we shot 70%+ all A10 season, we'd have 2-4 more wins.

Last edited by townsonkid (2/22/2018 12:10 pm)

2/22/2018 12:44 pm  #38

In my previous post I should have mentioned how bad I feel for Mike Lewis. This is not what he expected of himself at this point of the season. Hoping that he can finish strong!! We need this guy to play big for us the rest of the season and next year too.

2/22/2018 5:17 pm  #39

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I don't really think the A-10 or other leagues give direction on how to call games for the conference's benefit. I do believe that low achieving programs like ours get less calls & higher achieving programs get more calls. I have absolutely no doubt that JRob & Chas haven't gotten a fair shake from an A-10 crew all year. Tonight's calls against those two were really bad & based on their history rather than their actions.

I was very happy to see the defense tonight & am proud that this team continues to battle despite a really rough stretch. Losing by 6, on the road at a place with a great home court advantage, to one of the hotter teams in the country, on a historic win streak with a top 5, senior laden backcourt that must win to gain an at-large bid is nothing to be embarrassed about.

KD/staff have managed this situation well over the last 2 games. They have their guys engaged & through sound game planning have put them in a position to win. This bodes well for the future. At the moment, there simply isn't enough talent  the in the paint on the offensive end.

Does anyone else recall seeing a talented Duke struggle as mightily as MLewis has over the last 3 weeks?

I grew up in Olean as a die hard, Brown Indian fan. I went to every SBU home game for years, attended & coached at basketball camps there for 2 decades, took some summer classes there, have known many players well, I still have friends/family that make their living in the SBU athletic department, & I have been friendly with every coaching staff until this one. I love to see the Bonnies succeed. However, even in a season when losing to our Dukes tonight would have been catastrophic for their NCAA chances, there is never even a second that I route for SBU to beat the Dukes. Being a sports fan is weird.

I really believe that aside from Bob Lanier, Mark Schmidt is the best thing that ever happened to that program. DU missed the boat on him. In today's sports climate, it is stunning that he has stayed there this long. 

The timing wasn't right for us to get Schmidt, just like it was never right for Jarrett when he was winning at RMU.

PS,
Don't forget the Stith Brothers. Bona wasn't bad under Jim Satalin either.

The Stith brothers, Eddie Donovan, Larry Weise, & Jim Satalin were fortunate enough to be in a long line of success & they are all legends in SBU lore in a similar way to Dudey Moore, Ricketts, Sihugo, Red Manning etc.... are for DU.

The difference with Schmidt is that he walked in at the absolute lowest point in program history, (welder/player boycott scandal that cost the university a coach, AD, & president followed by a Neeesque run by Anthony Solomon), when it was likely that SBU was going down the Duquesne 40 years of angst route & stabilized things, prospered, & has built a winning program with legs. 

Board footera