Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2018 5:16 pm  #1

Playing A10 Football!

Playing both Dayton and UMass in football has me dreaming again of an A10 Football League.  We should schedule Fordham as well but of course I'll take Hawaii!

Atlantic 10 Football Conference
Duquesne
Dayton
Fordham
George Mason
Davidson
Rhode Island
Richmond

Possibles
Villanova
Georgetown
Albany
Butler
Monmouth
Valparaiso

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/03/2018 10:55 pm  #2

Re: Playing A10 Football!

That's an intriguing idea, Coffee.  In addition to Dayton, Davidson, Butler and Valparaiso of the Pioneer League as possibilities in an Atlantic Ten football conference, I'd also add Jacksonville University to the mix of potential participants.  They're located on the Atlantic and also currently play in the Pioneer League. 

The Dolphins have had some really good teams in recent years, posting a 10-1 record in 2010 and respectable 9-2 records in both 2014 and 2015.  As you'll recall, they also hosted the Dukes during the 2016 season — an exciting and high-scoring 54-35 win by the Dukes.

Of course, it would be great for me as a Duquesne fan living in Jacksonville.

In any case, I'm thrilled that the Dukes will be playing Division I Hawaii and UMass next season.  Let's hope they can land Army — and maybe even old crosstown rival Pitt — to their schedule one day in the not-too-distant future.

GO IRON DUKES!

3/04/2018 3:35 pm  #3

Re: Playing A10 Football!

Thanks for the query and ideas as I am always worried about the future of the NEC conference in football. Recall that the Big East originally started as basketball and wanted to take care of its football membership and invited Miami WVU etc which also lead to its demise too! My opinion is that a football A10 is a great way to raise the overall conference profile( and perhaps  revenue) but in the end its still about money!I am not sure that there would much interest in the non football schools going this route ie St Joe's The Bonnies etc. You also would need Duquesne to go to full number  of football  scholarships and also a TV package for football to make it worthwhile  and those are major commitments! I would love to see it happening!

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (3/04/2018 3:36 pm)

Board footera