Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2018 11:32 am  #1

3/15/2018 3:36 pm  #2

Re: Lamar Norman Jr.

Hmm, could he replacing a forward if signed?

A diehard fan since 1961

3/15/2018 6:44 pm  #3

I was reading the thread on Lamar on the Butler board and his dad had a few posts on it. Maybe he'll post on here after their visit this weekend and let us know how it went.

Last edited by WashPaRick (3/15/2018 6:44 pm)

3/16/2018 8:29 am  #4

Phildog wrote:

Hmm, could he replacing a forward if signed?

Who are you thinking of? I do not want to consider that anyone is leaving the program unless there is some  evidence to support it. I have absolutely no idea what KD and staff are thinking or how the numbers will workout. I do trust that the coaching staff knows exactly what they are doing and we will be in great shape next year when the smoke clears.
GO DUKES!.

3/16/2018 8:03 pm  #5

Not sure who Phildog was thinking of, but we're currently two-over for scholarships next year, at least as far as anyone knows. 5 recruits + 5 transfer-eligibles + 5 returning scholarship players. NCAA scholarship limit for men's basketball is 13. So if Norman comes too, we need to lose three players from somewhere, either recruits de-committing or current players leaving the program and/or school. I'm sure it will all work out, but we will still need to lose two players (three if Norman signs) from somewhere. 

3/17/2018 11:47 am  #6

Recruits are all signed; not “committed”; so unless they are released they aren’t going anywhere. Do we know that all the returning players have a basketball scholarship?  That may be the answer to your numbers game.

3/17/2018 12:25 pm  #7

I’d be shocked if an incoming freshman would ask for a release.  As for Norman, he wouldnt be in town if DU couldnt fit him in.  Player(s) will leave, thats just the way it is these days.   Thats why you add as many good players as you can, cause somebody will leave next year, and the year after that.

3/19/2018 12:23 am  #8

levon1975 wrote:

Recruits are all signed; not “committed”; so unless they are released they aren’t going anywhere. Do we know that all the returning players have a basketball scholarship? That may be the answer to your numbers game.

Right you are, Levon, I was looking at VerbalCommits which lists Bizeau and Kelly as verbals, but in fact, all 5 are now signed. As for whether the other returning players have basketball scholarships, based on previous information provided by Duquesne, and I'm referring to the May 1 press release on the transfers last year, we had nine active players and four transfers on scholarship for the 2017-18 season to fill our 13-scholarship allotment. Frankie Hughes was later added to the latter list in early June, presumably on scholarship as it's hard to fathom that a kid who once signed with Louisville and played serious minutes as a freshman at Missouri would transfer to Duquesne to walk on without at least the promise of a scholarship when he was eligible. All four members of last year's recruiting class were previously announced as having signed LOIs, a designation exclusively reserved for players on athletic scholarships.

However, there was chatter on this board that Nicholas Kratholm, who was valedictorian of his high school class and is studying biomedical engineering--he wants to build prosthetic limbs--is actually on a full academic, not athletic scholarship. This chatter was later confirmed, I believe by Dave Harper, at one of the preseason meet-and-greet events that Duquesne held, according to what folks have posted on this board anyway. So perhaps someone at Duquesne made a mistake in the 2017 recruiting class press release and perhaps Kratholm wasn't the only recruit who didn't actually sign an LOI. Walk-ons often sign ceremonial non-binding LOIs after all. But I'm just going by what Duquesne has actually announced. Krivacevic received about as much playing time as a walk-on and like Kratholm wasn't really recruited much by other D1 schools, but he's never been identified as a walk-on anywhere that I'm aware of, just the opposite. But what matters is what they report to the NCAA not what they tell the media and the fans.

So not counting Kratholm,we're still two-over for next year. Not counting Krivacevic, we're still one-over for next year. It really strains credulity to think that anyone else on the current roster is actually a walk-on, but if folks have theories about that, I'd love to hear them. I don't expect all the returning players to come back either, but really hope Lewis, Williams and Verhoeven are on the 2018-19 roster.

3/19/2018 7:34 am  #9

[b][b]I don't expect all the returning players to come back either, but really hope Lewis, Williams and Verhoeven are on the 2018-19 roster.[/b][/b]

...those 3 plus T Smith are really the only ones I could see leaving.  Not saying they will, but why would a freshman or a guy that just sat out a year leave.  Smith is a senior, maybe if he graduates he can go someplace else and play right away, but I considered him the most likely to come back of the 4.  I hope none of them leave and something can work itself out.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/19/2018 7:36 am)

3/19/2018 11:16 am  #10

Would love to see Tarin back as well after the year he just had, plus next year's team will really need some senior leadership, but I suspect he'll have the opportunity to move up in class as a graduate transfer somewhere else if he wants it.

3/19/2018 11:26 am  #11

As long as KD is here, I am happy.
As to the players, same answer as above.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/19/2018 11:29 am  #12

It would be a big surprise to me if Tarin leaves.  I've spoken with his parents and they've told me he loves Duquesne and the new coaching staff.  He's a hard worker who will be a senior leader and likely team captain next year.  I just don't see him transferring. 

Board footera