Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2018 6:31 pm  #1

Dan Hurley and Pitt or any coach right now??

So while for Duquesne Men, it is a little bit of down time, I thought I would pose a question.  First, let me put on my protective vest.  Those of you familiar with my posts, know that I absolutely can not stand Pitt both basketball and football.  However, since this is a basketball board, and we have discussed other basketball issues, I wanted to make a statement and then ask a question.  Those who post regularly, know that we ended up with Ferry years ago because we couldn't get a good coach who wanted to come to Duquesne.  There were many reasons and we don't have the time.  Our new AD though successful, had to work hard (nothing wrong with that) to get Coach D. whom we are so fortunate to have.  With that said, here is the question.  "Is getting a basketball coach at Pitt right now more difficult, worse, or the same as when Duquesne was trying to get a good coach to come here?"

I believe that it is easier because they are allegedly paying 3 million dollars.  Your thoughts???

Last edited by FAM (3/21/2018 6:32 pm)

3/21/2018 6:59 pm  #2

Re: Dan Hurley and Pitt or any coach right now??

P5 schools have more money, thus they can offer more. Other things go into it as well. Ferry's wife didn't want to live in Pittsburgh. Apparently, Hurley's wife doesn't want to live her either. It happens. Vince Lombardi and his wife, both New Yorkers, had to swallow hard before he decided to take the job in Green Bay. Pitt will get a coach, but only time will tell if he's the right one. They could end up with Oats, or Odum. Either could be the next Jim Ferry, or the next superstar. Expectations are higher at Pitt than they are here, so that makes a difference as well. Tubby Smith just got fired after winning 21 games. That would have gotten him an extension at Duquesne. The Pittsburgh "media" is up to their tricks though. It's nice to be able to sit back and watch this time.

3/21/2018 7:15 pm  #3

The media is:
A. Recruiting for Pitt.
2. In total meltdown because Coach K. isn't coming here.
-  Hypocritical in its approach to DU's coaching search last year, and Pitt's coaching search this year.

3/21/2018 7:54 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

The media is:
A. Recruiting for Pitt.
2. In total meltdown because Coach K. isn't coming here.
-  Hypocritical in its approach to DU's coaching search last year, and Pitt's coaching search this year.

Truth. Miller's statement of not being a candidate seems to have hurt some feelings over at the PG. Also, enjoyed when the news of nearly the whole team seeking a release it was met with either "These players aren't pitt men," to "ALL IS WELL! REMAIN CALM!" Not the kind of stuff said when I.Mike, Sanders and MLII sought their releases.

3/21/2018 8:01 pm  #5

FAM wrote:

So while for Duquesne Men, it is a little bit of down time, I thought I would pose a question.  First, let me put on my protective vest.  Those of you familiar with my posts, know that I absolutely can not stand Pitt both basketball and football.  However, since this is a basketball board, and we have discussed other basketball issues, I wanted to make a statement and then ask a question.  Those who post regularly, know that we ended up with Ferry years ago because we couldn't get a good coach who wanted to come to Duquesne.  There were many reasons and we don't have the time.  Our new AD though successful, had to work hard (nothing wrong with that) to get Coach D. whom we are so fortunate to have.  With that said, here is the question.  "Is getting a basketball coach at Pitt right now more difficult, worse, or the same as when Duquesne was trying to get a good coach to come here?"

I believe that it is easier because they are allegedly paying 3 million dollars.  Your thoughts???

If the $3M figure is accurate, it will be easy to get good candidates. After a truly dismal season and the exodus, there will be no short-term expectations laid on a coach that wants to grab the golden ring. Big dollars and time to rebuild.
And the city of Pittsburgh (despite what the Ferry family, or whomever thinks) is one of the better urban environments in the U.S. 

3/22/2018 8:39 am  #6

Hurley took $3.1M from UConn.  I am sad cause URI loses a figurehead, the A10 loses a good coach, but maybe URI will take a step down the A10 ladder.
On the other hand, now we get to hear what "2nd level" guys pitt will target for another couple days, at least.  MY EARS!!!!

3/22/2018 9:57 am  #7

townsonkid wrote:

Hurley took $3.1M from UConn.  I am sad cause URI loses a figurehead, the A10 loses a good coach, but maybe URI will take a step down the A10 ladder.
On the other hand, now we get to hear what "2nd level" guys pitt will target for another couple days, at least.  MY EARS!!!!

I expect them to hire Nate Oats. Not a lot of openings this year which helps Pitt.

3/22/2018 11:22 am  #8

If he is the guy his base salary is less than 1 million. They won’t have to pay him 3 million to leave. I’m wondering if this job will be over his head!!

3/22/2018 11:37 am  #9

I hope Oats takes  the now open URI job.
And hires Ferry because no one else is available.

3/22/2018 11:56 am  #10

FAM wrote:

If he is the guy his base salary is less than 1 million. They won’t have to pay him 3 million to leave. I’m wondering if this job will be over his head!!

You won't know until he does it. Coach K came from Army, so did Bobby Knight. Jim Calhoun came from Northeastern. Ben Howland came from Northern Arizona.

3/22/2018 11:59 am  #11

Econ69 wrote:

Are you saying you want Pitt to hire Ferry, have him recruit undersized players to shoot three’s and not play any D? Oh yes, and blame the players when Pitt loses, didn’t he try that at Duquesne?

I think Pitt would be wise to do that.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/22/2018 12:25 pm  #12

Good Point duq81

3/22/2018 12:52 pm  #13

Whoa doggy;  Must be joking - Oats would be bringing home a lamb to slaughter in the ACC.  While Pitt was recently stupid they're not dumb - need a Thad Motta, Sean Miller or similar "been there done that."

3/22/2018 1:50 pm  #14

Pitt is not as an attractive job as many of you think. Yes they have the money and the facility. But the way they handled Dixon and Stallings sends up a red flag to all coaches. Plus the next coach's job will be to get to the NCAA tournament which will be very difficult if not impossible in the ACC. Hurley definitely used Pitt as a bargaining tool. Hurley knew all along that he increased his financial package by having Pitt in the picture. But why did he not want to get paid more and play in the best conference ? Because it will be easier to get to the tournament with UConn even though they play in the lesser conference.

Look at Pitts weaknesses, administration handles coaches miserably, the present roster is void of players and talent, ability to recruit in the ACC is a difficult task and the fan base is so fickle that they run out Dixon and then do not support the team with some of their worst attendance figures in recent memory. Do not know of many coaches willing to take on this job and commit career suicide. They will always be one of the lower echelon teams in the ACC. Matta is washed up and will be another Stallings and Miller is damaged goods that can not win many big games come tournament time. A good young coach would have to take a long hard look at this job before jumping into it, just like Archie Miller waited for his perfect job.

3/22/2018 2:05 pm  #15

So then, my original question which hasn't really been commented on much.  "Is this job worse or more difficult (Pitt) than the scenario when Duquesne was trying to get someone to come here?"   

Last edited by FAM (3/22/2018 2:05 pm)

3/22/2018 2:52 pm  #16

To answer your question. I feel the Duquesne job is better now because of what I listed above. The administration is far better, the chance of rebuilding is easier and getting to the tournament is easier. The fan base will increase as we continue to improve. The president and the AD both have goals and plans which we have not had in a while. Climbing up the ladder is easier in the A ten then the ACC. A lot of pros come out of the ACC then the A ten so therefore you have to have a coach that knows talent and can teach in the A ten and you could become successful. Plus our fans understand that not every year is going to be a tournament team. After forty years of not being in the tournament that will teach you humbleness. Pitt fans have always been and will be of the mind set that they are better or should be better than what they really are. Let's hope coach gets us to the top three of the conference so that we can go dancing sooner than later.

3/22/2018 5:56 pm  #17

Phildog wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

Are you saying you want Pitt to hire Ferry, have him recruit undersized players to shoot three’s and not play any D? Oh yes, and blame the players when Pitt loses, didn’t he try that at Duquesne?

It's funny - but if you compare basketball philosophies and strategies, Pitt pretty much already hired a Ferry like coach in Stallings. Lots of offensive freedom; shoot a bunch of 3's, little defense and toughness, etc.

3/22/2018 6:01 pm  #18

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

It's funny - but if you compare basketball philosophies and strategies, Pitt pretty much hired a Ferry like coach in Stallings. Lots of offensive freedom; shoot a bunch of 3's, little defense and toughness, etc.

He was a combination of Ferry and Nee. Like Nee he was a washed up coach looking for a last payday.

3/22/2018 6:03 pm  #19

Hurley's contract:
"Hurley late Wednesday agreed to a six-year contract worth roughly $3 million per year, triple his salary at Rhode Island, including $2.75 million in the first year. UConn said further contract details would be released Friday."
"Hurley will make more later in the contract, which could make things easier for UConn if it does have to pay Ollie all or some of the $10 million."
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-men-dan-hurley-20180322-story.html

3/22/2018 6:27 pm  #20

I like Ferry for Pitt because:
1. Available-asst coach-usually only a one year contract
2. Cheap-he made 575K at DU  Pitt can get him for 1mil
3. No buy out to PSU
4. Long term contract-he has a ten year plan assures Pitt of stability and continuity
5. Will be a bridge for a younger coach
6. Up tempo offense, pressure defense(whatever they mean)  Teams will play zone, man to man
more of a challenge
7.  Div 1 experience   NCAA tournament  experience
8.  DU not his fault  fault of players, admin, students and the Red Ring restaurant.

3/22/2018 7:34 pm  #21

Econ69 wrote:

3. No buy out to PSU
4. Long term contract-he has a ten year plan assures Pitt of stability and continuity
6. Up tempo offense, pressure defense(whatever they mean)  Teams will play zone, man to man
more of a challenge
8.  DU not his fault  fault of players, admin, students and the Red Ring restaurant.

I will join you in endorsing Jim Ferry for the Pitt job.

3/22/2018 9:59 pm  #22

Wildwood13 wrote:

Pitt is not as an attractive job as many of you think. Yes they have the money and the facility. But the way they handled Dixon and Stallings sends up a red flag to all coaches. Plus the next coach's job will be to get to the NCAA tournament which will be very difficult if not impossible in the ACC. Hurley definitely used Pitt as a bargaining tool. Hurley knew all along that he increased his financial package by having Pitt in the picture. But why did he not want to get paid more and play in the best conference ? Because it will be easier to get to the tournament with UConn even though they play in the lesser conference.

Look at Pitts weaknesses, administration handles coaches miserably, the present roster is void of players and talent, ability to recruit in the ACC is a difficult task and the fan base is so fickle that they run out Dixon and then do not support the team with some of their worst attendance figures in recent memory. Do not know of many coaches willing to take on this job and commit career suicide. They will always be one of the lower echelon teams in the ACC. Matta is washed up and will be another Stallings and Miller is damaged goods that can not win many big games come tournament time. A good young coach would have to take a long hard look at this job before jumping into it, just like Archie Miller waited for his perfect job.

​wow, that post was fun to play "Post facto mad libs" and just substitute "Duquesne" over the last thirty or so years for "Pitt."

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/22/2018 11:29 pm  #23

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

​wow, that post was fun to play "Post facto mad libs" and just substitute "Duquesne" over the last thirty or so years for "Pitt."

Reminds me more of the Penn St. threads that are always on the Pitt football board.

3/23/2018 6:19 am  #24

VBC wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

3. No buy out to PSU
more of a challenge

I will join you in endorsing Jim Ferry for the Pitt job.

And if they want to build a football stadium closer to campus, he can provide the bricks.

3/23/2018 8:50 am  #25

I suspect that Pitt will get their coach and over a period of time will gain respectability once again. Not saying it will be easy and not saying they will ever be a force in the ACC, I personally don't care what they do as I have no ties to that school whatsoever outside of a niece or nephew who graduated from the school of law. In any case, I do look for Duquesne to be the dominant BB team in our city for many years to come! Lots of fun ahead! GO DUKES!!

Board footera