Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2018 12:57 pm  #26

Re: Dan Hurley and Pitt or any coach right now??

There is talk that Pitt is considering Mark Schmidt. The board is in a total meltdown. You don't fire Stallings and eat 10 million to bring in Mark Schmidt. Grab your popcorn if this happens, cause it's gonna get real ugly.

3/23/2018 1:30 pm  #27

Seriously, who do they think they're going to get?

They ran a successful coach (Dixon) out of town. Stallings was in over his head, and the program is crippled right now.

If they really need to spend money and don't mind cheating, then hire Pitino. If you just want a "name" coach, then hire Tubby Smith, Kevin Ollie, or Pitino's son.

You can always give Darelle Porter another chance. Or hire another alum (Knight?) with more name recognition. If you want an NBA guy, take a chance on Herb Williams. If you want to think out of the box, go steal Mark Few or Bobby Thuggins.

3/23/2018 1:49 pm  #28

93.7 the fan now reporting Schmidt is the main target at this time.

3/23/2018 1:53 pm  #29

He'll be the second A-10 coach to turn down the job.

3/23/2018 1:57 pm  #30

Eductae me: why would this be a bad hire for Pitt? He's turned a tiny university in the middle of nowhere with extremely limited resources into a pretty regular A10 contender. Is that not worth a lot?

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/23/2018 3:01 pm  #31

yak-rbc wrote:

Eductae me: why would this be a bad hire for Pitt? He's turned a tiny university in the middle of nowhere with extremely limited resources into a pretty regular A10 contender. Is that not worth a lot?

They don't need an older guy, they need a young guy who can recruit. You need serious talent to win in the ACC. Unless the old coach is Pitino, you have to go young.

3/23/2018 6:05 pm  #32

Well, Duquesne got an “older guy”.  I don’t think it would be a bad hire at all plus it gets him out of those extremely cold winters.  I am guessing he might have family here.  Just my 2 cents.

3/24/2018 12:15 am  #33

FAM wrote:

Well, Duquesne got an “older guy”. I don’t think it would be a bad hire at all plus it gets him out of those extremely cold winters. I am guessing he might have family here. Just my 2 cents.

The Dukes are in a different situation. Pitt expects it's next coach to return them to what they were under Dixon, no one is really going to hold KD to that type of performance. If in his first 7 years, KD got us to one NCAA, and 2 NITs, I think we'd see him as a rousing success. A coach at Pitt will be fired for that performance. Now, if Pitt were to suck for a decade, expectations for a new coach would be more modest. That's the way it works. Conversely, if KD is a rousing success here, getting us to 5 NCAAs, and 2 NITs in ten years before he retired, you can bet his successor will be held to a much higher standard than what we're currently holding KD to. Expectations rise as you win, and fall as you lose.

3/26/2018 10:47 am  #34

I dont know why, but pitt folk seem they should be the Ohio St of college football and the Kentucky of college basketball.  They last won 10 games in a football season in the early 80s.  Their last bball title was in the 20s I think?  Where does their hubris come from?

3/26/2018 11:11 am  #35

A few years ago Chicago basketball was dead.  Northwestern had never been to the NCAA and DePaul and Loyola were mere shells of their past.  Could Duquesne be the resurrection of Pittsburgh  basketball after being only a shell of its past?  Loyola could be a model for Duquesne.

3/26/2018 11:12 am  #36

townsonkid wrote:

I dont know why, but pitt folk seem they should be the Ohio St of college football and the Kentucky of college basketball.  They last won 10 games in a football season in the early 80s.  Their last bball title was in the 20s I think?  Where does their hubris come from?

Right on point Towson.  That, I believe has been there problem.  They are delusional when it comes to the expectations for their programs and their coaches.  That is exactly why they didn't like Paul Chryst (not flashy or good with the media), just a damn good football coach; and Jamie Dixon, who was pretty successful at Pitt; but was dealt a tougher hand when they moved to the ACC.  They tired of simply being a winning program, and felt that Jamie wasn't going to turn them into Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina, or Duke.  So the big money donors ran him off, and couldn't wait to hire a big-name coach.  They got Stallings, and may not do much better this time. 

3/26/2018 11:15 am  #37

At a State funded school like Pitt - where are the athletic $$ funded?
​Are they part of the tax-payer source of capital?  Or from an independent source like donations, proceeds from other sport revenue, etc.?
And how would that apply to firing a coach, eating the buy-out, & funding a new coach?

​Trying to understand the buy-out & total cost of a new Head BBall coach at a State School vs at a Private University. 

3/26/2018 6:40 pm  #38

Well, more coaches are bowing out.  Kind of reminds me of the first DU opening when we got stuck with the guy from LIU.  At this point, a really seasoned coach is Not going to go to the ARMpit.  Too bad so sad.

Last edited by FAM (3/26/2018 6:41 pm)

3/26/2018 8:15 pm  #39

Box & One wrote:

At a State funded school like Pitt - where are the athletic $$ funded?
​Are they part of the tax-payer source of capital?  Or from an independent source like donations, proceeds from other sport revenue, etc.?
And how would that apply to firing a coach, eating the buy-out, & funding a new coach?

​Trying to understand the buy-out & total cost of a new Head BBall coach at a State School vs at a Private University. 

Pitt is getting so little from the state now that they're actually talking about reverting to private status. Pitt's not a state school, they're state related. They get a certain amount of money, and in return, they offer reduced tuition to Pennsylvania students. The state has been cutting the amount that they, and the 3 other state related schools get for decades now. Pennsylvania does have state schools. Those are IUP, Slippery Rock and the like.

3/27/2018 9:15 am  #40

81 although that’s true don’t forget that the Petersen cost them almost nothing. Those where predominantly public funds. Had they not gotten greedy with seat licenses and really bad scheduling that facility should have been a long term annuity.

3/27/2018 10:13 am  #41

The Dome wrote:

81 although that’s true don’t forget that the Petersen cost them almost nothing. Those where predominantly public funds. Had they not gotten greedy with seat licenses and really bad scheduling that facility should have been a long term annuity.

They've had to adjust those seat licenses as the non-alums and other bandwagoners have jumped off of the ship. As we well know, Pittsburgh fans won't support a loser.

3/27/2018 10:58 am  #42

Jeff Capel is reportedly the hire.

3/27/2018 11:21 am  #43

thats probably the best the could have done, from the start.  He can recruit a lot better than most, but that was at places like Duke, Okla and VCU.  Not sure you get the same kind of talent to Oakland.  I guess Coach K is sticking around Durham a bit longer, I thought Capel would be given that job.  

So once again the pittsburgh media blows another call, saying it was Scheyer that pitt went down there for.  Maybe they did.  I really dont care.  pittsburgh sports media is like TMZ....awful.

Those yinzers will think they just hired a young John Wooden.  Start predicting final fours and NBA first rd picks.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/27/2018 11:23 am)

3/27/2018 11:44 am  #44

townsonkid wrote:

thats probably the best the could have done, from the start.  He can recruit a lot better than most, but that was at places like Duke, Okla and VCU.  Not sure you get the same kind of talent to Oakland.  I guess Coach K is sticking around Durham a bit longer, I thought Capel would be given that job.  

So once again the pittsburgh media blows another call, saying it was Scheyer that pitt went down there for.  Maybe they did.  I really dont care.  pittsburgh sports media is like TMZ....awful.

Those yinzers will think they just hired a young John Wooden.  Start predicting final fours and NBA first rd picks.

Capel is the one who built VCU. They were nothing when he went there. This is a pretty solid hire for them. In many ways, this reminds me of us last year. The media was having fun clowning us, and suddenly we came up with a hire that they could do nothing but praise. Pretty much the same thing here. Don't know if Capel will be a home run for them, but based on his record, I expect that at worst, he'll get them to middle of the pack. I have to give Heather Lyke credit, good job on her part. Could it be that Duquesne and Pitt actually have good athletic directors? What's next, peace in the Middle East?
Looked over on the Pitt board, the reaction seems to be one of relief more than anything. They were scared to death that they would hire someone awful like Stallings.

3/27/2018 12:19 pm  #45

but is he going to get a Blake Griffin to pitt?  thats who buttered his bread at Oklahoma.  If he can get a freak like that to pitt, they can be top 4 ACC.  If not, top half, maybe.

3/27/2018 12:34 pm  #46

Looks like a really solid hire for Pitt. Great recruiter but needs to prove that he can coach at the ACC level. Suspect that Pitt's basketball fortunes will be on the upswing sooner than I originally suspected. It's OK. Let's have two nationally prominent teams here like Cincinnati and Xavier for example. That would be great for the city.

3/27/2018 1:45 pm  #47

president wrote:

Looks like a really solid hire for Pitt. Great recruiter but needs to prove that he can coach at the ACC level. Suspect that Pitt's basketball fortunes will be on the upswing sooner than I originally suspected. It's OK. Let's have two nationally prominent teams here like Cincinnati and Xavier for example. That would be great for the city.

Would love for the game to be nationally relevant and on television every year. Helped put Xavier on the map.

3/27/2018 6:02 pm  #48

Not so sure that Capel built VCU, they had some quality coaches before and after him. Before him, they had Dana Kirk who went onto to Memphis and the championship game. JD Barnett had a successful stint at VCU as well. Sonny Smith of Auburn fame was there for ten years to meet moderate success. After Capel left they had Grant, Smart and Wade, and all the coaches mentioned above had a better winning percentage than Capel except for Smith. They are a school that more often than not happen to pick the right coach. There are other schools like Xavier that seem to get the right fit all the time. From Staak to Gillen, to Prosser to Matta to Miller To Mack. I just hope Harper has that same magic touch. As for Pitt I could care less what happens to them.

3/27/2018 6:33 pm  #49

Definitely a good hire for them, but some of his excellent recruiting was because they would be going to Duke.  Nevertheless, they probably got a very good coach.

3/27/2018 7:29 pm  #50

Wildwood13 wrote:

Not so sure that Capel built VCU, they had some quality coaches before and after him. Before him, they had Dana Kirk who went onto to Memphis and the championship game. JD Barnett had a successful stint at VCU as well. Sonny Smith of Auburn fame was there for ten years to meet moderate success. After Capel left they had Grant, Smart and Wade, and all the coaches mentioned above had a better winning percentage than Capel except for Smith. They are a school that more often than not happen to pick the right coach. There are other schools like Xavier that seem to get the right fit all the time. From Staak to Gillen, to Prosser to Matta to Miller To Mack. I just hope Harper has that same magic touch. As for Pitt I could care less what happens to them.

When Capel took them to the NCAAs in his second year, it was only the second time in 19 years that they'd gone. They been a consistent winner since then, so I think it's fair to say he started them off on their current roll.

Board footera