Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2018 10:19 pm  #1

3/29/2018 10:25 pm  #2

Re: Tydus Transferring

Sadly this is part of the college game now.  I wish him the best. I will miss seeing him swatting balls left and right.  Perhaps he missed the West Coast? Maybe this allows us to steal a transfer late?  Who knows. I just pray that E. Williams isn't leaving too. That would be devastating.

Last edited by Simms (3/29/2018 10:27 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/29/2018 10:31 pm  #3

Will be missed especially for what he brought to the defensive end as only a freshman. Curious to see the school/league he ends up going to.  The number crunch begins to play out now.

It is the reality of today's game and you don't know what the roster is until the Fall Semester of the next season. The less you see of your players names in the offseason, the better when hoping for a player staying.

3/29/2018 10:52 pm  #4

Well, more playing time for the freshmen. Hope they're up to the task.

3/30/2018 6:33 am  #5

KD said that the team lack scoring from the 4 and 5 positions.
Four of the incoming freshmen are bigs.
Yes TV was a great shot blocker but he was not a scoring threat though
he did have one good game with 21 points. 
I sense the parting was mutual.

3/30/2018 6:46 am  #6

I really liked this young man and appreciate what he did for the team this year. A real defensive presence.

Best of luck in your future travels, Tydus.

3/30/2018 6:55 am  #7

I was a huge Tydus fan. Multiple sources told me he was homesick and I think someone posted something about that here. Also heard the coaches tried to convince him to stay.

So here too is a huge difference from the last regime. Talented player leaves for a reason other than discipline and there are five guys coming in already who look like more than adequate replacements.

Sorry to lose you Tydus but you will be successful somewhere else. All the best.

As for Williams, judging by his tweets, he isn't planning on going anywhere.

3/30/2018 6:59 am  #8

A long way from California, some people get homesick.  I guess it was worth a try for him and for Duquesne.  Better for him to probably be closer to home.

3/30/2018 7:14 am  #9

I had a feeling this was coming. Too bad, but I'll be a fan of TV no matter where he goes. Super nice kid and family.

3/30/2018 7:22 am  #10

Hate to say I told you so, but I had a gut feeling this would happen.  I wish he would have stuck it out, but maybe he just wants to be closer to home, Cali to Duquesne is a long ways.  Wouldnt be shocked to see him playing a big role for a St Marys team in a couple years.

So does this kind of shed light on why KD is interested in a kid like Lamar Norman?  

Last edited by townsonkid (3/30/2018 7:23 am)

3/30/2018 7:47 am  #11

Sorry to see Tydus go.  He was given more minutes here and pushed to develop quicker than KD wanted to. 

He has a special talent and I wish him luck.  With a few more pounds, confidence and more experience he'd be great as a junior and senior.

He's going to be sorry he's missing out on this team's future.  I just wish he would have been part of it.

Last edited by coffee (3/30/2018 7:49 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/30/2018 8:59 am  #12

I expected this but think he would have been a redshirt if Duquesne had more depth last year, I remember his video's when he was so excited to be coming to Duquesne.

Best of luck to him and his chance to go back home must have been such a pull for him.

I don't think his poor offense and defense( fouled almost as much as Brown) with the shot blocking exception, would have given him so much PT anywhere else but last year's Duquesne team.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/30/2018 9:03 am  #13

I wish Tydus all the best.  He seems like a great kid.  He is a tremendous shot blocker, and has all the tools to be a great college player.

3/30/2018 9:53 am  #14

Good Luck!  You were a great kid and did a nice job for us.  I loved watching you block shots...it has been  years since we saw that.  Go Dukes!

3/30/2018 10:10 am  #15

He was definitely one of my favorite names to announce last year. 

Best of luck Tyyyydus VerHOOOOOOOOOOOOEVEN!

3/30/2018 10:53 am  #16

Reading about Tydus reminds me of all the folks serving all over the world protecting our safety and freedoms at home.I am sure there are many who are occasionally homesick in places like Afghanistan
and Korea.They made a commitment and are honoring it and  sometimes I forget about them  but this
story brings me back to reality-what is really important  and what being loyal and sometimes paying the
ultimate price for us is.I am grateful,thanks Tydus for reminding me.

3/30/2018 11:07 am  #17

stew wrote:

Reading about Tydus reminds me of all the folks serving all over the world protecting our safety and freedoms at home.I am sure there are many who are occasionally homesick in places like Afghanistan
and Korea.They made a commitment and are honoring it and  sometimes I forget about them  but this
story brings me back to reality-what is really important  and what being loyal and sometimes paying the

I really like the fans on this forum.  Thanks for allowing me to participate.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (3/30/2018 11:07 am)

3/30/2018 11:15 am  #18

Best of luck to Tydus. 

3/30/2018 11:32 am  #19

levon1975 wrote:

A long way from California, some people get homesick. I guess it was worth a try for him and for Duquesne. Better for him to probably be closer to home.

I grew up in the Massillon Ohio area and worked for years in Cleveland.  My career took me to S. Florida for 13 years then to the Bay Area in California.  Although California is not that much different geographically than S. Florida (both long plane rides), California seems a lot farther away due to the 3 time zone difference. Florida is a familiar vacation place for those in the MW and E so it did not seem very far.  I can understand why TV felt home sick.  California is also significantly different in culture, way of life and weather.  Still....I am disappointed that he will not be back. Good luck to him and I hope he finds a place that allows him to grow and shine. 

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (3/30/2018 11:43 am)

3/30/2018 11:49 am  #20

stew wrote:

Definitely important to keep in mind those who are putting literally everything on the line for our country. I think too many people in my generation take for granted the fact that we live in peace (for the most part) in a free society (for the most part) in this country. Many people have fought, suffered, and died to give us what we have today, and many more continue to do so.

That being said, are you criticizing Tydus' decision by comparison? If so, its not very fair to him. Decisions of where to play basketball vs decisions to serve our country are in different realms and not comparable. Not sure if I just misinterpreted the tone of your post. 

3/30/2018 12:17 pm  #21

Sarah Spencer gets some quotes from Tydus and as to the reason for leaving. He's citing "style of play" as to why he's  asking for his release.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2018/03/30/tydus-verhoeven-transfer-release-duquesne-basketball-keith-dambrot/stories/201803300128

3/30/2018 12:28 pm  #22

I recall during the second St. Louis game, when Tydus had that breakout performance, the announcers saying he had gotten a pep talk from his mom before the game. Here it is, per Alex Stumpf: Tydusmom flew out from California this week to talk with her son. Told him that he needs to just play basketball and stop thinking so much. He said it helped him relax and led to his big game.Tydus' mom, Jodi, was a WNBA draft pick herselfAnyway, I had a feeling he'd be looking to play closer to home after hearing that. He struggled with confidence all year. Best of luck to him, I think he's going to develop into a really good player for some lucky west coast team. 

Last edited by DennisC91 (3/30/2018 12:28 pm)

3/30/2018 12:39 pm  #23

Brian wrote:

Sarah Spencer gets some quotes from Tydus and as to the reason for leaving. He's citing "style of play" as to why he's  asking for his release.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2018/03/30/tydus-verhoeven-transfer-release-duquesne-basketball-keith-dambrot/stories/201803300128

I don’t understand the style of play thing, this kid couldn’t shoot so he wanted to stay outside and pass?

Maybe after playing against the transfers he knew the best thing for him to do was quit the team!

A diehard fan since 1961

3/30/2018 12:45 pm  #24

He probably could have played SF spot with all the size coming in, wouldnt have had to be a 4 or 5.  But no need thinking about it now.

3/30/2018 12:57 pm  #25

He would’ve never played the 3. That’s why he left. Felt like he should’ve been dribbling shooting but his shot is very bad very very bad.

Board footera