Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2018 11:13 am  #1

PSN reported more guys transferring?

If this is true. Lewis or Williams transferring? Oh no

4/02/2018 11:26 am  #2

Re: PSN reported more guys transferring?

They didn't really report that. They just said that we are still one scholarship over the limit (which may or may not be true), so don't be surprised to see another transfer.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (4/02/2018 12:17 pm)

4/02/2018 12:29 pm  #3

Godukes2017 wrote:

If this is true. Lewis or Williams transferring? Oh no

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no.

Face of the franchise or the rising face of the franchise? ​Silly thought.

4/02/2018 1:47 pm  #4

Based on what the team actually announced, we were one over for all of last year. That's assuming Chas Brown was officially a walk-on. No announcement was ever made one way or another about Chas, he just kind of showed up on the roster one day. The only new player on last year's roster who was ever officially identified as a walk-on was Nick Washington. But if one accepts that Kratholm is really a preferred walkon on academic scholarship, one must also consider that Krivacevic (a JUCO all-academic) may be as well. In which case, we're at 13 on athletic scholarship for next year. Once upon a time, you could just walk down to the Palumbo Center and find someone who could clear this up for you but maybe reporting's harder today, I dunno. 

4/02/2018 2:19 pm  #5

I think Kratholm was identified as being on an academic scholarship.  

4/03/2018 9:28 am  #6

Is this what you are referring to?.....

"With the amount of depth at forward, keep in mind that Duquesne is still over their scholarship limit so another departure or two wouldn’t be a surprise."

Hardly says that ANYONE is leaving, and makes no mention of Lewis or Williams.  
I'm not sure there has been any news to make our panties bunch up.  

Last edited by townsonkid (4/03/2018 9:28 am)

4/03/2018 11:40 am  #7

As long as KD and staff aren't transferring, I'm OK with it all. The names on the backs of the jerseys are not nearly as important as the name on the front!! Don't really expect to see anyone of note leaving the program moving forward.

4/03/2018 5:37 pm  #8

applecorps wrote:

I think Kratholm was identified as being on an academic scholarship.  

Yes, someone on this board said that Dave Harper told him that at a meet-and-greet event and I'd say most of us on this board, including myself, accepted it,and moved on. But Kratholm was announced as being on athletic scholarship when he signed last spring. Preferred walkons don't sign NLIs. Duquesne later announced last May that four scholarships were going to transfers and nine to active players. The nine active scholarship players on the roster at that point were: Castro-Caneddy, James, Robinson, Lewis, Smith, Verhoeven, Williams, Kratholm and Krivacevic, plus Taylor on football scholarship.

Frankie Hughes was added to the inactive roster in June, Chas Brown to the active roster in October. Hughes was said to have "signed a financial aid agreement", the same terminology used for the other scholarship transfers. No announcement was ever made about Chas Brown joining the program. I think most of us assumed he was a walk-on with a degree in hand and year of eligibility left but no place to use it, and Duquesne needed another big body to get it through the season. 

I totally get that what they actually report to the NCAA may be different than what they announce in a press release, but what they announced in multiple press releases last spring was that Kratholm was on athletic scholarship. Perhaps there are good reasons for this: to make all the kids in the first recruiting class feel like they belong equally, to confuse the competition on how many scholarships Duquesne has left to offer, etc. If you can find another source, besides the chatter on this board, that says Kratholm's actually on academic scholarship, then please share, I haven't come across such a source.

As Duquesne hasn't been sanctioned for handing out more scholarships than the NCAA allows, I'm sure the school's done nothing wrong, besides confuse the handful of fans it has. But I do wish reporters who cover the program would do some digging to find out the whole story instead of speculating that someone else is going to transfer because we're still one scholarship over. Then again, at least they're covering the program.

Board footera