Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2018 10:08 am  #1

Gavin Bizeau

Watch out for this kid next year.  Last night he had a triple double 34 points, 19 rebounds and 10 blocks.  This kid has some serious skills he is a guard with a 6'11" body.

http://www.flyergroup.com/sports/local_sports/bizeau-triple-double-leads-quakers-by-hawks/article_c18c47a0-0314-11e8-9c5b-6b4beceb9fa1.html

Meanwhile Swingle had his usual double double with 40 points and 12 rebounds last night

1/27/2018 10:37 am  #2

Re: Gavin Bizeau

74 points wins us games most nights. Think of these two men as juniors.

3/28/2018 7:50 pm  #3

Gavin Bizeau is representing Indiana in prep All Star Game.

https://twitter.com/prepballstars/status/979143566558748672

Last edited by CLK (3/28/2018 7:51 pm)

3/28/2018 8:47 pm  #4

Do they play basketball in Indiana?

3/29/2018 5:42 am  #5

WashPaRick wrote:

Do they play basketball in Indiana?

A little. 

4/03/2018 10:37 am  #6

It used to be that "the" all star game in Indiana was the Indiana v Kentucky series, with different "play in" opportunities for some of the lower ranked kids.  Wonder if that is what this is.  Based on 2017, the Indiana roster for the Kentucky game was announced around April 10.

4/03/2018 10:47 am  #7

Purduke, here is the roster for Indiana.  Looks like Indiana is playing Illinois    

4/03/2018 11:47 am  #8

Yes it does.  Thx.  Good for Gavin.  Absent Romeo Lankford the rest of the top kids from the state seem to be there.  Sorry to see the KY series go -- if that is what has happened.  Plus Arsenal Tech isn't exactly Hinkle Fieldhouse.

4/04/2018 5:56 pm  #9

So in  addition to being selected for the Indiana All Star team to play Illinois on May 5th, Gavin has also been selected to the prestigious Indiana All Star team to play the Kentucky All Star team.   The Indiana All-Stars will play the Kentucky All-Stars on June 8 at Bellarmine University in Louisville and June 9 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/04/here-your-2018-indystar-indiana-all-stars/485091002/

Last edited by CLK (4/04/2018 5:59 pm)

4/05/2018 9:50 am  #10

I have a sneaking suspicion that Gavin may be far and away our most impactful recruit long-term. Really excited to see him in a Duke's uni next year. He brings size and perimeter shooting, a combination that we don't usually see here. Seems to handle the ball well too which is a plus. Probably still needs to develop more big man moves around the hoop. He came to the right place to get what he needs. Ditto all the bigs.

4/05/2018 10:37 am  #11

Not really going out on a limb there. I don't take major stock in most of the recruiting services "rankings" and "star" system but of all of them, ESPN is the most reliable in my opinion. They have the biggest actual scouting network and resources to see most or all of these kids play, they review tape, etc.

They have him as the #18 center in the US for his high school class and a 4* (first I can remember us getting besides maybe Isiaha Watkins?). Tons of kids ranked behind him going to power 5 schools, and big time programs not the bottom feeders in the big conference.

I expect him to be a stud in years to come.

4/05/2018 10:57 am  #12

Duques102 wrote:

Not really going out on a limb there. I don't take major stock in most of the recruiting services "rankings" and "star" system but of all of them, ESPN is the most reliable in my opinion. They have the biggest actual scouting network and resources to see most or all of these kids play, they review tape, etc.

They have him as the #18 center in the US for his high school class and a 4* (first I can remember us getting besides maybe Isiaha Watkins?). Tons of kids ranked behind him going to power 5 schools, and big time programs not the bottom feeders in the big conference.

Great to hear this! Hopefully the coaching staff has uncovered some diamonds in the rough as far as the other big men that are coming here. The likelihood of all these players remaining here for 4 years might be slim but there is strength in numbers.

4/05/2018 12:40 pm  #13

Duques102 wrote:

The fact that ESPN lists him as a center would give me reason not to trust them. Anyone who has seen him play knows that he is a stretch 4. I personally like 24/7 the best out of all the recruiting sites. That said, I am really excited to see Gavin play for the Dukes. I think either he or Wade will have the biggest impact from the class.

4/05/2018 12:41 pm  #14

A friend of mine played at Xavier and was a member of Pete Gillan's first recruiting class.  He told me that the following year the first time he played with an incoming recruit named Tyrone Hill he realized that he would be riding the bench for the rest of his career.  I wonder if Tydus had the same experience in a pick up game with Gavin?  My friend Bob stayed at X and went to multiple NCAA tournaments as Ty Hill helped establish Xavier as a strong program and make his way to the NBA.

4/05/2018 12:48 pm  #15

Dukes2012 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

The fact that ESPN lists him as a center would give me reason not to trust them. Anyone who has seen him play knows that he is a stretch 4. I personally like 24/7 the best out of all the recruiting sites. That said, I am really excited to see Gavin play for the Dukes. I think either he or Wade will have the biggest impact from the class.

I agree. If you can get 2 kids like that every year who could make a huge impact, this program will literally take off. Not to suggest that the other recruits won't be valuable additions as well. If even one of the others turns out to be a stud, it will be all to the good of the program.

4/05/2018 4:51 pm  #16

VBC wrote:

A friend of mine played at Xavier and was a member of Pete Gillan's first recruiting class.  He told me that the following year the first time he played with an incoming recruit named Tyrone Hill he realized that he would be riding the bench for the rest of his career.  I wonder if Tydus had the same experience in a pick up game with Gavin?  My friend Bob stayed at X and went to multiple NCAA tournaments as Ty Hill helped establish Xavier as a strong program and make his way to the NBA.

I recall walk on Kellon Taylor filling in the min. that Verhoven rode the pine in foul trouble , he would put up decent scoring and rebounding numbers with good defensive play also, and a block or two in more than a few games.

That may have become TV 's role as a back up.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/05/2018 6:55 pm  #17

I think TV was a guy who looked lost at  times emotionally on the court,he hung his head a lot.California is
a long way from Pittsburgh and he came from a small town. Hopefully he can find happiness and  with hard work become the player KD envisioned at Duquesne. Ithink its best for everyone involved as you dont want
players questioning their roles,its trouble for a program trying to overcome the losing misery of 40 years.

4/05/2018 10:10 pm  #18

Phildog wrote:

VBC wrote:

I recall walk on Kellon Taylor filling in the min. that Verhoven rode the pine in foul trouble , he would put up decent scoring and rebounding numbers with good defensive play also, and a block or two in more than a few games.

Phildog, your eyes were not deceiving you. In every statistical category except for blocks, Kellon outperformed TV. In tight games, Dambrot would have Kellon out there on defense instead of TV. At this point of their careers, Kellon had the higher basketball IQ and emotional compete level.

4/06/2018 8:39 am  #19

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

VBC wrote:

Phildog, your eyes were not deceiving you. In every statistical category except for blocks, Kellon outperformed TV. In tight games, Dambrot would have Kellon out there on defense instead of TV. At this point of their careers, Kellon had the higher basketball IQ and emotional compete level.

In many ways, KT was the MVP of quite a few games this past season. Sometimes a guy that plays his role can be overlooked but without him we would most likely have really struggled to finish at .500. I believe that he will be key moving forward as well. Players with his combination of mental toughness and court awareness are few and far between!!

4/06/2018 7:36 pm  #20

Hahaha I love it and agree with you guys about Kellon who is on football scholarship Phildog and was recruited by both football and basketball and told by the coaches he would play both.  RIght now he is probably the 4th to 3rd best receiver on the Dukes but had a solid spring game . Who knows but maybe he will become a rare college 2 sport letterman!

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (4/06/2018 8:00 pm)

4/07/2018 7:10 am  #21

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Hahaha I love it and agree with you guys about Kellon who is on football scholarship Phildog and was recruited by both football and basketball and told by the coaches he would play both.  RIght now he is probably the 4th to 3rd best receiver on the Dukes but had a solid spring game . Who knows but maybe he will become a rare college 2 sport letterman!

Judge,
I know Kellon is a great receiver for our football Dukes, but he is not on scholarship for basketball but reguardless was one of key players last season. A walk on in the positive term like a Jason Duty was.
He reminds of old timer Rocky White, a battler good for any team.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/07/2018 7:51 am  #22

I agree  totally with your point Phildog and I thought that  the teams play picked up almost  every time he entered the game  I forgot about Rocky White and good call! I honestly didn't think he was very good at receiver last year but really looked much improved in spring game and I only meant to indicate  that I  was told that when he was recruited by Duquesne it was a joint effort by the football and basketball staffs and pretty sure he was promised a spot on the team

4/07/2018 9:40 am  #23

That dual  recruitment makes sense, didn’t he start on Dematha Catholic basketball team in high school?

A diehard fan since 1961

4/07/2018 9:44 am  #24

Yes and I  was told that he  truly wanted to go to a school that had both sports and wouldn't make him choose 1 sport over the other.

4/12/2018 8:38 pm  #25

Gavin Bizeau did not make any of the Indiana All-State basketball teams.  Word on the street is that he only made the all star team by default because he they didn’t have a player over 6’6.

How can a D1 player at 6’11 not make the all state team?

Board footera