Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2018 11:01 am  #26

Re: Sincere Carry commits

townsonkid wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Kid took a smaller team to Ohio state championship. Lost to Moeller. Limited film but he has skills and a college body.

Could be a big signing in the long run.

He is built pretty solid I would say.  Can tell he work on leg strength as part of his rehabs.  Average 20 some ppg, with assists, yeah, come on board.  Heck, he could be a star here, who knows.  We needed another guard.

I assume this closes recruiting for this coming year, but who knows for sure.

Yogi B. Dambrot says, "It ain't over until ... well, it ain't ever over!"

4/10/2018 9:22 am  #27

Coach Keith WadePick your poison for 4 years..... going to be live on the bluff!!! @bkbuckets_2 and @SinCarry3 #GODUKES

Sin Carry - Been working my whole life for this #GDukes #A10 

Last edited by CLK (4/10/2018 9:32 am)

4/10/2018 11:14 am  #28

Sincere Carry will be motivated by the D1 offer snub. Between him and Brandon Wade, I think we're looking at four years of the best PG play at Duquesne in years.

4/10/2018 1:15 pm  #29

ElDuque wrote:

Sincere Carry will be motivated by the D1 offer snub. Between him and Brandon Wade, I think we're looking at four years of the best PG play at Duquesne in years.

Agree with this. As I stated in an earlier post, given our big man issues this past season, I truly believe that the most important ingredient on a BB team is a point guard. Without a true PG, the ship has no rudder! So looking forward to having great improvement in both areas.

4/10/2018 3:11 pm  #30

Question answered....Sincere Carry is on athletic scholarship, not a walk on.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041018aag.html

4/10/2018 4:10 pm  #31

CLK wrote:

Looks to me like a potential under recruited gem ‘ a la Eric Williams, Jr. ‘

A diehard fan since 1961

4/10/2018 4:45 pm  #32

There,\'s a lot of love out there for Carry. On an Ohio State fan forum they had a lot of posters who wanted him at Ohio State with a lot of praise from people who had watched him play. You would think with 13 scholarships some other teams would of took a chance on a player who had some past injuries. I'm glad we did. Of course if you check with some folks on the A10 board we're giving  out a couple more schollies than other teams.

Last edited by WashPaRick (4/11/2018 6:33 am)

4/10/2018 8:27 pm  #33

CLK wrote:

Some people may not agree with me, but I loved his play for the jump ball in the first video. Much bigger player fought him for possession but he wouldn't  be denied the ball even after the whistle. Sure he got t'd up, and it was dirty but that showed a ton of competitivess and sends a message to the opponent.

4/10/2018 10:49 pm  #34

I agree with the Eric Williams comparison in terms of ability of this kid SC.  Kids do slip through the recruiting cracks sometimes because of injuries, personal/family issues etc. - it happens.  Welcome Sincere to the Bluff.  Here is a question though, doesn't the Spring signing period start next week?  If so, how can we announce his signing now?  This leads to my next question, is there a difference between an LOI signing and the signing of an "athletic scholarship agreement" as noted in the official announcement?

4/11/2018 5:49 am  #35

Steve, you know my affinity for warriors. Guys who spend time on the floor, who challenge bigger opponents, who show toughness and grit.

Lacking one of those (pending a look-see at the transfers in action) I'm happy to get a kid like this.

I'm with you.

4/11/2018 8:44 am  #36

steve19981 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Some people may not agree with me, but I loved his play for the jump ball in the first video. Much bigger player fought him for possession but he wouldn't be denied the ball even after the whistle. Sure he got t'd up, and it was dirty but that showed a ton of competitivess and sends a message to the opponent.

I agree.  He brings that "football toughness" to his game, one of the things I really liked about having Kellon Taylor on the team.  

4/11/2018 9:01 am  #37

Pete my understanding is that the Athletic Scholarship Agreement is the actual binding contract that specifies the actual scholarship amount and covered items.  I believe this just bypasses the LOI and goes right to the contract.  This also means the kid is counted towards the 13 scholarship limit.   

4/11/2018 9:29 am  #38

Thanks CLK, but what about the timing of the signing?  I thought a player could only sign during a "signing period", which I believe in this case wouldn't start until next week.  I am getting this wrong?

4/11/2018 11:05 am  #39

I like the fact that Sincere already has a D-1 frame.  He looks like he is built for the toughness of the A-10.  Having a high compete level is nice, but having the strength to back it up will help.  He reminds of the guard from Davidson a few years ago; not Curry, but Jack Gibbs; guy was very solidly built and an excellent player.

4/11/2018 11:10 am  #40

WashPaRick wrote:

There,\'s a lot of love out there for Carry. On an Ohio State fan forum they had a lot of posters who wanted him at Ohio State with a lot of praise from people who had watched him play. You would think with 13 scholarships some other teams would of took a chance on a player who had some past injuries. I'm glad we did. Of course if you check with some folks on the A10 board we're giving  out a couple more schollies than other teams.

Not surprised by this, the ball handling talent and athleticism were two traits that jump out to me. You can tell he has a lot of tools and his numbers, especially in big games seem to speak for themselves.

I can see why he got overlooked however if he had two knee injuries, particularly if it was the same knee twice. Right or not, a lot of coaches probably looked at him as a guy who if he had another injury to the same knee, could realistically be a guy you end up carrying on scholarship for two or three years even if he can't play anymore. Hope he can stay healthy and fulfill the potential he seemingly has a lot of.

4/11/2018 6:53 pm  #41

PistolPete wrote:

Thanks CLK, but what about the timing of the signing?  I thought a player could only sign during a "signing period", which I believe in this case wouldn't start until next week.  I am getting this wrong?

The Spring signing period actually starts today.

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/index.html

4/12/2018 1:31 pm  #42

4/13/2018 9:06 am  #43

Thanks, CLK. Here’s the link to the print article:

Solon’s Sincere Carry is the 2017-18 cleveland.com Boys Basketball Player of the Year
http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/3660007038041212402/solons-sincere-carry-is-the-2017-18-clevelandcom-boys-basketball-player-of-the-year/

4/13/2018 10:38 am  #44

Seems like a great get for late in the process.  Excited to see what the revamped roster can do.  

11/12/2018 11:04 pm  #45

ElDuque wrote:

Kid took a smaller team to Ohio state championship. Lost to Moeller. Limited film but he has skills and a college body.

Could be a big signing in the long run.

I'd say this was a prescient comment back in ... April.

You're welcome.

11/13/2018 6:56 pm  #46

Great call back in April Elduque and if they win 24 I will be calling you for investment advice!!! Haha Seriously good call

2/01/2019 3:54 pm  #47

ElDuque wrote:

Steve, you know my affinity for warriors. Guys who spend time on the floor, who challenge bigger opponents, who show toughness and grit.

Lacking one of those (pending a look-see at the transfers in action) I'm happy to get a kid like this.

I'm with you.

Still happy? I'm guessing yes.

Board footera