Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2018 9:09 pm  #26

Re: Gavin Bizeau

DukeBaller53 wrote:

Gavin Bizeau did not make any of the Indiana All-State basketball teams.  Word on the street is that he only made the all star team by default because he they didn’t have a player over 6’6.

How can a D1 player at 6’11 not make the all state team?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/03/22/2018-ibca-all-state-boys-basketball-teams/449961002/&ved=2ahUKEwj3sZbxlLbaAhXvct8KHZOUA_QQFjADegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3LSJutEPz22yTSURcLASES

4/12/2018 9:22 pm  #27

That is an all area team... Third team in his area. The all state teams came out today, won’t let me post a link. There are two players that made the All Star team that didnt make the All State teams and Gavin is one of them.

4/12/2018 9:36 pm  #28

Thanks for the updates  everyone and I am going to wait and see and not get
too caught up in  high school all star and  all state teams which  much like recruiting ratings mvps hofs and the Heisman trophy,all    have some inherent voting bias or  selection influences .I suspect  we are getting a 6 11 kid with   great potential but not a cant miss either

4/12/2018 9:54 pm  #29

DukeBaller53 wrote:

That is an all area team... Third team in his area. The all state teams came out today, won’t let me post a link. There are two players that made the All Star team that didnt make the All State teams and Gavin is one of them.

It's not a regional team, but it does remove underclassman. I see the AP one you're referencing as well though now.

4/13/2018 6:51 am  #30

DukeBaller53 wrote:

Gavin Bizeau did not make any of the Indiana All-State basketball teams. Word on the street is that he only made the all star team by default because he they didn’t have a player over 6’6.

How can a D1 player at 6’11 not make the all state team?

Well he is committed and coming.  Better that he come with a chip on his shoulders and having something to prove.  Maybe this will make him work twice as hard this summer.  Otherwise...it has little meaning since recruiting is over for this year.

4/13/2018 6:58 am  #31

Yea, I won't lie, Im from the area and know some of his high school coaches.  Obviously excited to get a 6'11 kid and when I moved here became a big fan of the Dukes, wanted to be in the know.  I left discouraged about what I heard, but hoping for the best!

4/13/2018 7:31 am  #32

Unless you count the Indianapolis Star or AP teams, I guess.

4/13/2018 7:44 am  #33

He did make some of the all state teams, I just thought it kinda validated some of the concerns I heard about him.  He is a 6'11 player that was ranked in the top 20 in his position nationally, but is making 3rd teams and not making some teams.  That is reason for questioning.

I watched some of his games this year on video and he definitely has potential.  Good looking shot, can handle a little.  I can see why they are planning on playing him at the small forward position, because even against HS teams he could not hold position in post and did not like posting up.  My concern is lateral movement and defense.  Most of the games I saw, his HS team played man and put him on a player where he could stand directly under the basket to block shots and rebound. I think he can play the 3 on offense, but have no idea how they will use him on defense. 

Last edited by DukeBaller53 (4/13/2018 7:51 am)

4/13/2018 8:08 am  #34

In a state like Indiana, those teams have a political element to them. I will take this kid in a heartbeat. Watch what KD and staff do for him and the other newcomers. We all witnessed improvement this year of players who may have been written off - Rene, Tarin, JRob- as examples.

4/13/2018 8:16 am  #35

I agree they can be political, there is a political element everywhere.  All I am saying is that I have concerns with what I have heard about him, an have to wonder if this validates him.  Hopefully development and a change of scenery will help him.  On thing you cant teach is length and height and he has both of those in spades.  I just hope he is a quality person.

4/13/2018 8:56 am  #36

Honorable mention all state, but then you can also see him on a list of supreme 15 from IND.
WHo knows.  WHo cares.
Glad he is on our team.  He might need a year to get strength, bulk up a bit, but same could been said for EW last year.  He was pretty good, right?  :-)

4/13/2018 9:00 am  #37

Yeah he was a beast!

5/05/2018 8:14 pm  #38

Indiana beat Illinois 127-116.  Saw this clip of a nice dunk by Bizeau.  Did not see individual points by players.

https://twitter.com/BbalEvv/status/992926575783022592/video/1?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=BbalEvv&utm_content=992926575783022592

5/06/2018 10:50 am  #39

Man, the kid just outran everyone else and showed some nice coordination to look back and take the pass.  A really nice pass BTW.

5/06/2018 11:20 am  #40

He looked smooth athletic and fast on that play.  He took the pass from a tough angle running away from the passer at close to full basketball speed.  He ran away from the pack and finished well! The only big guy I’ve seen recently at Duquesne who could make that play was Ovie.

5/06/2018 6:05 pm  #41

Am wondering if the freshman recruits will be coming in to Pittsburgh to play in the 'summer league?'   Where were you watching Gavin Bizeau play?

5/07/2018 4:48 pm  #42

Looks like the Summer League may be back on this summer.  According to the Pitt Rivals Board:  "It is in the works and could happen. Capel and company have been receptive. Details are still being worked on but the chances are at least 50% it will occur and they are rising."

gjgse, the Summer League is usually in the end of June - early July.  By that time all the freshman will be enrolled in summer classes.

5/07/2018 7:01 pm  #43

CLK wrote:

Looks like the Summer League may be back on this summer.  According to the Pitt Rivals Board:  "It is in the works and could happen. Capel and company have been receptive. Details are still being worked on but the chances are at least 50% it will occur and they are rising."

gjgse, the Summer League is usually in the end of June - early July.  By that time all the freshman will be enrolled in summer classes.

I can't imagine the coaches wouldn't want this to happen. There's been so much roster turnover here, and at Pitt, that this would be the first time anyone's seen most of these players play.

5/08/2018 8:51 am  #44

The biggest concern is player safety and the insurance involved in covering the players. Montour is a excellent venue since they have two courts in close proximity.  The problem is the main court has about 6” of out of bounds space!

6/10/2018 9:07 am  #45

Gavin Bizeau had 10 points & 8 rebounds in 11 minutes as Indiana All Stars beat Kentucky All Stars 109-81.  Way to go big guy!

Board footera