Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2018 4:46 pm  #1

Testing NBA Waters

Eric Williams Jr should’ve tested waters. Do you agree?

His numbers were pretty good for 6-6 Wing/Guard

Since everyone seems to be doing why not try it out?

4/17/2018 6:10 pm  #2

Re: Testing NBA Waters

No. 

4/17/2018 6:17 pm  #3

Agreed - I was thinking the same thing. Mike Lewis could benefit too. There's no downside to it, and they can receive feedback from a bevy of NBA scouts. Maybe Williams wanted another year to bulk up before declaring without an agent next summer.

4/17/2018 6:42 pm  #4

What?

4/17/2018 6:49 pm  #5

Come on, guys. EW had a really good freshman year, but he struggled a bit once we got into the meat of the conference schedule. He's a good player with a bright future, but he's got a long way to go before he's an NBA prospect.

4/17/2018 6:49 pm  #6

Godukes2017 wrote:

Eric Williams Jr should’ve tested waters. Do you agree?

His numbers were pretty good for 6-6 Wing/Guard

Since everyone seems to be doing why not try it out?

You have had many posts recently that have caused me to question your knowledge of the game of basketball. This post has confirmed what I previously believed to be true.

4/17/2018 6:52 pm  #7

Williams isn't close to being an NBA player. He's a promising player on what was a below average team. The NBA is an extremely tough league to make, especially for guards. He'll need to become a First Team All A10 type player before anyone in the NBA will even look hard at him. Mike Lewis is even less of a prospect than Williams is.

4/17/2018 6:53 pm  #8

You say I have no basketball knowledge  but when half the people entering the without an agent are averaging 3 points and a rebound. You guys have got to be kidding me. You’re right he had a few rough games and still averaged 14 and 9. So? I don’t see what’s wrong with getting feedback if you have good numbers

4/17/2018 8:15 pm  #9

Was curious about the quality of players after the 3 points and a board stat referenced...so I went to do some quick digging...Here are the top 100 players according to ESPN that have declared sans agent
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23048470/2018-nba-draft-testing
Just looking at those classified as a frosh...
Zhaire Smith Tex Tech 11.3/5
Jontay Porter Mizzou 9.9/6.8   
PJ Washington Kentucky 10.8/5.7
Kris Wilkes UCLA 13.7/4.9
Lindell Wigginton Iowa St. 16.7/3.7 
Kostas Antetokounmpo Dayton 5.2/2.9 (but powerful name brand)Austin Wiley Auburn 8.8/4.7
Eric Williams Jr. 14.8/8.75

E Dub has comparable stats - but I don't think he has physically developed...or competed against the same level of competition as the others on the list. Wouldn't be insanity for him to test the waters...but it would be a bad move to do it this early in my opinion.

4/17/2018 8:40 pm  #10

There are lots of players who put up great offensive numbers, but one thing that people forget is that you have to be a great defensive player to make it in the NBA. The one and dones usually are physically mature. Eric is a talent, no doubt. In two years, with grown defensive prowess and physical development, he might be ready to test the waters. Read that the NBA has been averaging 26 seniors and foreign players drafted in recent years. That means only 34 of the over 100 kids who test the water get picked. Eric has a coach who knows how to develop a pro. Work hard for the next three years and Eric will make money playing this game.

Last edited by HookShot (4/17/2018 8:41 pm)

4/17/2018 8:47 pm  #11

I can save them some time. They both have to work on everything.

4/18/2018 9:28 am  #12

Ifky 07 wrote:

Was curious about the quality of players after the 3 points and a board stat referenced...so I went to do some quick digging...Here are the top 100 players according to ESPN that have declared sans agent
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23048470/2018-nba-draft-testing
Just looking at those classified as a frosh...
Zhaire Smith Tex Tech 11.3/5
Jontay Porter Mizzou 9.9/6.8   
PJ Washington Kentucky 10.8/5.7
Kris Wilkes UCLA 13.7/4.9
Lindell Wigginton Iowa St. 16.7/3.7 
Kostas Antetokounmpo Dayton 5.2/2.9 (but powerful name brand)Austin Wiley Auburn 8.8/4.7
Eric Williams Jr. 14.8/8.75

E Dub has comparable stats - but I don't think he has physically developed...or competed against the same level of competition as the others on the list. Wouldn't be insanity for him to test the waters...but it would be a bad move to do it this early in my opinion.

As you pointed out, most of those listed play at big time schools, something Duquesne hasn't been in 45 years. EW has the potential to make money playing ball, but he's quite a ways away from that right now. When he makes first or second team A10, he can consider doing something like that.

4/18/2018 9:52 am  #13

This is absolute nonsense!  Really not worth even expanding upon why this is nonsense!

4/18/2018 10:27 am  #14

A player is only permitted to "Test the waters" once in his collegiate career.

If I were him and my play continued along an upward path I would use my "Test" after my junior season.

4/18/2018 10:46 am  #15

ghost wrote:

If I were him and my play continued along an upward path I would use my "Test" after my junior season.

ghost thanks. So if they did it twice they would lose their college eligibility.  I did not know that.but it makes sense or otherwise you would have a lot of kids with big dreams doing this every year.  

4/18/2018 4:29 pm  #16

ghost wrote:

This is a good point, and something I didn't initially consider. Eric Williams is talented enough and has enough potential to exponentially benefit from going through with this process otherwise, however.

With at least one player from seemingly every team declaring without an agent, it's not preposterous to imagine EW trying it out. It's not suggesting that he's ready for the NBA by any means, but it would familiarize him with the process and such.

But, as you said, players are only allowed to declare for the draft without relinquishing their eligibility once, so doing so this year would be unwise.

4/18/2018 9:04 pm  #17

Nice to see people posting messages. It's something about Duquesne b-ball to read in the off-season. But it's probably time to find a new topic - this one was a true non-starter

4/19/2018 9:21 am  #18

Next!

4/19/2018 11:48 am  #19

Does anyone honestly believe that some scout (or, worse, agent) can give Eric or any player a better skills assessment than the man who is coaching him? Keith Dambrot sees him every day. Whomever else will look at some game film.

Maybe.

4/19/2018 12:01 pm  #20

ElDuque wrote:

Does anyone honestly believe that some scout (or, worse, agent) can give Eric or any player a better skills assessment than the man who is coaching him? Keith Dambrot sees him every day. Whomever else will look at some game film.

Maybe.

Well, on the flip side, KD is not in the NBA, so you could argue that he, and most college coaches can't assess how a player fits in that league the way NBA people can. Pretty much a 50-50 argument. If EW reaches a level where the NBA is really on him, they'll have people watching him live.

Board footera