Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2018 3:35 pm  #2

Re: James Ellis

This is a surprise. I had read during the HS season that the staff had liked him but were going to wait on him after JuCo due to not having the grades. 

Wish him the best in his academic endeavors first and hopefully as he gets it done in the classroom,  look froward to seeing him in 2019.

Last edited by Brian (5/08/2018 4:19 pm)

5/08/2018 3:48 pm  #3

I do like how Coach Dambrot uses every bit of angle/edge he can get to attract talent and provide a support system for a young man who seems to prosper in a supportive environment.  Congratulations and Good luck to James in the classroom at Duquesne. 

5/08/2018 5:13 pm  #4

Fab 5 WPIAL and city league POY.  Last player form his HS to go to DU was Chuck Cooper.  He'll get the grades, KD and his staff/tudors will make sure he is putting in the class work,.  Sounds like he is heading in the right direction and could be a huge asset down the road.  Best of luck to him.

5/08/2018 6:18 pm  #5

townsonkid wrote:

Fab 5 WPIAL and city league POY.  Last player form his HS to go to DU was Chuck Cooper.  He'll get the grades, KD and his staff/tudors will make sure he is putting in the class work,.  Sounds like he is heading in the right direction and could be a huge asset down the road.  Best of luck to him.

I hope one of those tudors isn't Henry the VIII.

5/08/2018 7:06 pm  #6

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I hope one of those tudors isn't Henry the VIII.

I used to live tudors down from Henry.

5/08/2018 8:11 pm  #7

This is a great pick up. He's raw but he'll sit out a year anyway. Ceiling is unlimited.

5/08/2018 8:45 pm  #8

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I do like how Coach Dambrot uses every bit of angle/edge he can get to attract talent and provide a support system for a young man who seems to prosper in a supportive environment.  Congratulations and Good luck to James in the classroom at Duquesne. 

I echo your comments.  Check out his highlights on Hudl to see his potential.  

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8949716/James-Ellis

5/08/2018 8:59 pm  #9

Perhaps the “tudors” at Duquesne are a remnant of the defunct Red Masquers who may have performed Henry VIII at some point!  Now I’m trying to remember the English Prof that ran the Red Masquers in the 70’s.  I can see his face but can’t come up with the name.  Any help out there? 

All kidding aside, I love this signing on so many fronts.  It shows our coaches are very thorough and creative in finding players.  It reconnects Duquesne with the City League  that has produced some legendary talent in the past.  It shows that Duquesne as a University is anxious to work with the coaches and take a chance on a player that could be a real steal.  Finally it gives a young man who is apparently willing to work hard, a chance to be the best he can be.

5/08/2018 9:08 pm  #10

Thanks for the grammer lessen.

5/09/2018 6:15 am  #11

It’s also enjoyable watching a couple of the Bonnies’ fans melt down on the A10 board over the Dukes player management. Never have I seen these do-gooders so concerned about the welfare of a student athlete. Methinks they will be even more concerned when the Dukes are kicking their butts.

5/09/2018 7:37 am  #12

townsonkid wrote:

All done in fun; I enjoy reading your posts.  We’ve all made mistakes typing into phones with our thumbs!
This board can be tough at times.

5/09/2018 9:59 am  #13

levon1975 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

All done in fun; I enjoy reading your posts.  We’ve all made mistakes typing into phones with our thumbs!
This board can be tough at times.

And quite funny. LOL at some of the witty responses.

5/09/2018 12:36 pm  #14

Why can't he practice with the team?  Some arcane NCAA rule no doubt.  I would have to challenge that.  Scholastics first, of course, but experiencing major college basketball for this particular kid is vital.

5/09/2018 12:47 pm  #15

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Why can't he practice with the team?  Some arcane NCAA rule no doubt.  I would have to challenge that.  Scholastics first, of course, but experiencing major college basketball for this particular kid is vital.

He's academically ineligible. Basically think of it as a suspension

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/09/2018 2:20 pm  #16

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

As a recruited player, if he was eligible to practice, he'd count against our limit.

5/09/2018 4:15 pm  #17

The recruiting developments since the end of the season have created a fascinating situation.

Dambrot's recruiting has been impressive in its creative approach, volume, practicality, & doggedness. The Ellis signing is acool move on so many levels & creates little risk for the program. This is a fantastic opportunity to do some good, establish the program as a destination for top local talent, get a few extra folks in the seats,  & steal a recruit with enormous upside.  If Ellis is going to wash-out over academics he will most likely do so during summer session or fall semester & there will still be plenty of time to move on to other options.

Questions abound! HEre a few of mine:

-How many years of eligibility will Ellis have beginning in 2019?
-As there are no seniors next season, are there any scholarships currently available for Ellis or anyone else in the fall of 2019?
-How many players do the coaching staff count on to transfer after the season?
-Does taking 8 players in one freshman class guarantee high transfer rates for years to come?   
-Does the lack of scholarships discourage recruits from buying what DU is selling? 

I am super interested to see how players deal with the competition for playing time over the next 2 seasons. I don't ever recall watching a college team that didn't have at least a couple of scholarship guys that were definitely not going to get any run outside of garbage time. Are there 13 millenials that can take this pressure?

5/09/2018 4:28 pm  #18

Answers for Phil
  Initially 3 years of eligibility but progress toward degree could win a fourth year for him
  No seniors this year, Lewis and Randall seniors next year so no scholarships available either year as things now stand. 
  I don’t think coaches “count on transfers” but know they are a fact of life at all programs do recruiting never really ends
  I think playing time, not number in a class, prompts transfers and actually, the way this program is operating will encourage not discourage prospects.  Just my opinion

5/09/2018 4:51 pm  #19

I believe Robinson was in a similar situation as Ellis.

5/09/2018 11:17 pm  #20

Econ69 wrote:

I believe Robinson was in a similar situation as Ellis.

Pretty sure he was on scholarship though.

5/10/2018 9:21 am  #21

Robinson went to high school in Canada then to a sports academy in North Carolina. I believe the NCAA ruled he hadn't taken enough core courses or something to be eligible. But he did not practice with the team his first year, so I assume he was, like Ellis, a non-qualifier, as opposed to an "academic redshirt". Yes, the NCAA does make such distinctions. I don't recall Robinson's scholarship status back then, but if he wasn't able to practice with the team, then he likely had to pay his own way for his first year, unless it was the school's decision to keep him out of practice and let him focus on academics. Some links below:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/frequently-asked-questions-about-ncaa

http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2016/january/22/ot-qualifiers-partial-qualifiers-and-non-qualifiers-what-do-they-mean

Last edited by DennisC91 (5/10/2018 9:32 am)

5/24/2018 1:32 pm  #22

Can the coaching staff have any interaction with Ellis this coming school year?
weight program
diet
drills
anything?

Board footera