Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2018 7:35 pm  #1

New Job

http://www.duq.edu/x157819.xml

Looks like Dan Burt is going to have someone help him with the dept.  Hopefully he is helping with the hiring!  This job looks like it is focused on Women's BBall and Olympic sports.  Maybe it can help the Red and Blue Crew as well?  I honestly wish I could apply.  I told two of my good friends who I think would do an excellent job to apply for the position.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/27/2018 11:53 am  #2

Re: New Job

Simms wrote:

http://www.duq.edu/x157819.xml

Looks like Dan Burt is going to have someone help him with the dept.  Hopefully he is helping with the hiring!  This job looks like it is focused on Women's BBall and Olympic sports.  Maybe it can help the Red and Blue Crew as well?  I honestly wish I could apply.  I told two of my good friends who I think would do an excellent job to apply for the position.  

Apply.   You should.   I sent you a private message.

There are educational and work requirements for this job.  I’d throw that all out the window for one DU fan that is hardworking and willing to learn.   They need someone passionate in that position.

Last edited by duqkurt (5/27/2018 12:00 pm)

5/28/2018 7:02 am  #3

Wow!  Cheap no More.  With this additional position, the President and AD are definitely all in with athletics.  No doubt that years ago one of the excuses that folks gave on why DU was poor in men's Bball was because of the lack of all around marketing, player development, excellent coaches, and we both can go on.  First Coach D and now this.  I don't want to hear they are cheap any more.
Unlike the Pirates, questions still come up about the Steelers but I don't think they are cheap, and though I am glad they are and can't stand them, pitt football.

5/28/2018 10:27 am  #4

This isn’t a new job.   Two people working under Meghan Jahrling have quit since the end of the sports year.

And there was a vacant position in that department.   

Take what you want from that.

Last edited by duqkurt (5/28/2018 10:28 am)

5/28/2018 3:04 pm  #5

The people that left were Carly Slater and Sara Varela (sp?).    I might have my timing off but both left during last sports season.   One them held that position.

5/28/2018 3:27 pm  #6

fjhryn wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

The people that left were Carly Slater and Sara Varela (sp?). I might have my timing off but both left during last sports season. One them held that position.

​Many "positions" at Duquesne are filled by work-study students or interns. Since you seem to be in touch with personnel matters in the Athletic Dept., are either or both of these former "positon" people in either of those categories? It appears that the "open" position being advertised is for a person with "qualified" credentials for the position.

Both were full time. Not students or interns.

Last edited by duqkurt (5/28/2018 3:29 pm)

5/28/2018 5:13 pm  #7

fjhryn wrote:

I, as I'm sure most of you, am acutely aware of the dearth of Dukes BB ads/promos for both MBB & WBB. Last year's promos, especially, were significantly sparse, even when comparing to past years when significant improvements were warranted. I can't say whether or not it is an issue with the Associate Athletic Director, to whom the new person will report, or if it was some other personnel issue with the two people that duqkurt says left at the end of the season. But something has to change relative to Dukes marketing and advertising if we expect the "locals" to come back after years of mediocre seasons, WBB excluded. Many days I opened the Sports section of the PG last season and found NOTHING relative to that days Dukes games. One would never know that the WBB program exists on the Bluff if one relied on the daily papers. Most days I had to hunt for mentions of many MBB home games while skipping the lengthy articles on the losing Pitt BB season.Whether this "open" position is a result of people leaving or a new position, hopefully, it's filled with someone who recognizes the sad state of Dukes marketing & has plans to correct the current situation with the ability to do something about it.

Perhaps they're waiting until they feel they actually have a product that they can sell to the front running fans in this town. While we die-hards enjoyed last season, most people I know couldn't have cared less. As for the local press, I don't know how much more we can do. Obviously they don't think there's enough interest to warrant extensive coverage, and looking at our attendance, it's hard to argue the point. I think we may have a good product to sell this coming year, so it'll be interesting to see the athletic department's approach.

Board footera