Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2018 2:45 pm  #26

Re: Is it next season yet?

sperlman wrote:

Totally agree. We have discussed this before.  I have not asked Dan about his philosophy (and indeed there may be a legit answer), but I don't see how players can gain confidence and ultimately play more consistently without being allowed to make a mistake or two- and stay in the line-up.

I saw this happen with Amadea in her freshman year.  In retrospect, I wish Dan had redshirted her because she played such limited minutes.

If what you say is true (that Helmi is leaving), then the Dukes become weaker in the post (in 2019-2020) with Lass gone and no other bigs signed.

I wish Helmi the best.    I hope she receives all the playing time her family thinks she deserves. 

I don’t understand this post.   Helmi got the playing time she deserved.    She was a freshman and had to earn the time.   She didn’t deserve to play over Kadri or Paige.   And she wasn’t as strong offensively.    That would have come with time.   

She was never a starter and while she contributed she didn’t earn a starters role.

I don’t understand when and where the coaching staff failed in getting her minutes.

Last edited by duqkurt (5/28/2018 2:47 pm)

5/30/2018 8:48 pm  #27

Here is my point;  Prior to the beginning  of the 2017-2018 season, Dan said Helmi was potentially the team's BEST post, but said she needed time to develop her game and get acclimated to American college BB.

Earning time on the court is a balancing act.  If a player is continually missing assignments, taking ill-advised shots, not defending, etc. that player must correct those mistakes in practice and gradually work to earn more playing time.  But Helmi was not consistently making mistakes. 

It appeared to me that as soon as Helmi made any mistake, she was pulled.  When Duquesne had sizable leads on their opponents, Helmi did not seem to play extended minutes. 

If Helmi was not considered that good (potentially), I support your comment.  But Helmi was considered the most talented and he had to know she had other options to play elsewhere.  To keep a player of that talent, you need to give her minutes.

5/31/2018 1:20 pm  #28

We can agree to disagree.   Her playing time got reduced a little at the end of the year when teams figured out how to beat them.   The coaching staff was trying to win games.  She was not a defensive presence and she never put a shot up off the offensive rebound.  I saw live the coaching staffs frustration with her hesitation on the offensive boards. 

I have no doubt she would have improved over time but I don’t fault the coaching staff at all for her development or her leaving.  You can’t make players be Jocelyn Floyd or Dev Workman type players.  They have to want it as well. 

But this is a moot point now.

5/31/2018 6:13 pm  #29

I wonder if Coach Burt proposed a Red Shirt for Helmi and she declined -  NEXT year with ONLY Sole' gone and her sister, Angelina, (and possibly Bevil and Nina) looking for minutes in the front court - her playing time could have been less.  Elliott, Eniko, and Angelina ALL had a red shirt in their first two years - so did Paige but hers was injury related.  Helmi DID get off to a decent start -  seemed to decline some as the year went on.  DO wish her well.    Wonder if Anne Pier will be red shirted - Don't see too many minutes for her next year.  AND with 5 scholarships (Chas, Julianna, Connor, Kadri Ann, and Helmi) staff has a LOT of talent walking OUT the door -  Hopefully QUALITY replacements can be found.

CAN'T WAIT FOR DUNKIN' DONUTS DAY IN THE FALL!!

5/31/2018 8:56 pm  #30

Good points from Skeptic Al.  Lots of questions going into 2018/2019.  Two things that hopefully will be addressed are: 1) better perimeter defense to prevent dribble drive penetration and 2) better post presence and defensive rebounding.  What I saw from Laia Sole in the FIBA championships last summer, #2 will be taken care of.  Cannot imagine her not starting.

6/01/2018 4:00 pm  #31

SkepticAl wrote:

I wonder if Coach Burt proposed a Red Shirt for Helmi and she declined -  NEXT year with ONLY Sole' gone and her sister, Angelina, (and possibly Bevil and Nina) looking for minutes in the front court - her playing time could have been less.  Elliott, Eniko, and Angelina ALL had a red shirt in their first two years - so did Paige but hers was injury related.  Helmi DID get off to a decent start -  seemed to decline some as the year went on.  DO wish her well.    Wonder if Anne Pier will be red shirted - Don't see too many minutes for her next year.  AND with 5 scholarships (Chas, Julianna, Connor, Kadri Ann, and Helmi) staff has a LOT of talent walking OUT the door -  Hopefully QUALITY replacements can be found.

True,
Next recruiting cycle will be crucial for the Dukes going forward.  Basically losing the entire core of the team.  This season should be a good test for the present day subs to determine how many can fill the roles to be vacated by this seasons senior class. 

CAN'T WAIT FOR DUNKIN' DONUTS DAY IN THE FALL!!

Board footera