Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2018 8:25 am  #1

Design released for the Palumbo?

I found this this morning.  Is this a proposal or are these the plans?

https://www.vmdo.com/duquesne-aj-palumbo-center.html

I like the idea of building over the Forbes side bleachers but not just for luxury boxes. 

The pictures look like they actually reduce seating on that side even with the second floor.

It looks fantastic but don't reduce seating!!!  We need more noise not less...  I like the idea of the upper tier on the Forbes side but not at the expense of that many seats.  More seats and less private boxes on that new upper tier on the Forbes side.

Last edited by coffee (3/30/2018 9:51 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/31/2018 4:58 am  #2

Re: Design released for the Palumbo?

coffee wrote:

I found this this morning.  Is this a proposal or are these the plans?

https://www.vmdo.com/duquesne-aj-palumbo-center.html

I like the idea of building over the Forbes side bleachers but not just for luxury boxes. 

The pictures look like they actually reduce seating on that side even with the second floor.

It looks fantastic but don't reduce seating!!!  We need more noise not less...  I like the idea of the upper tier on the Forbes side but not at the expense of that many seats.  More seats and less private boxes on that new upper tier on the Forbes side.

That is well over a year old.   I think it was a proposal that was given.   No one that I have spoken with will comment if that is the design or not.

3/31/2018 7:13 am  #3

It is an old proposal. Don't care for it much. Looks interesting because it is different.  But that's its only appeal. Keep working.

3/31/2018 8:09 am  #4

Behind the baskets looks like a bad view -- a really bad view.

3/31/2018 11:08 am  #5

Thanks for sharing Coffee and I think that is still the plan.I agree with you that Rooney needs  renovation and I also know that Palumbo and McCloskey bubble are high priority .Hopefully all the projects get done and I have confidence in the AD and President  getting  the full support of the Bd of Directors to continue to spend on athletics.

6/03/2018 2:02 pm  #6

My hope is they make Palumbo a destination,where you can go and have a good meal at a restaurant bar
type of deal,a place to meet before and after games and also have like a Wendys or a Primanti Brothers.
 Build a hall of fame area would be another positive where you can really entertain and educate young students Duquesne was once a big deal in basketball and football.

6/03/2018 8:37 pm  #7

stew wrote:

My hope is they make Palumbo a destination,where you can go and have a good meal at a restaurant bar
type of deal,a place to meet before and after games and also have like a Wendys or a Primanti Brothers.
 Build a hall of fame area would be another positive where you can really entertain and educate young students Duquesne was once a big deal in basketball and football.

The place isn't big enough to hold the basics without cutting the capacity down to nothing. I'd like to have those things too, but there's no room. Unfortunately, we're landlocked because of Mercy Hospital, and I can't get mad at them, as they were there 30 years before Duquesne was founded, and nearly 40 years before we moved to the Bluff.

6/03/2018 10:16 pm  #8

Actually the City of Pgh firehouse occupies the lot next to Palumbo.  That prevents us from expanding to Stevenson Street.

6/04/2018 6:19 am  #9

I agree on one thing. Make it a home with a home court advantage. The neutral colors make it a bit antiseptic, like MetLife Stadium in NJ. Fill it with red and blue.

6/04/2018 7:50 am  #10

Cant they build upwards then?   Add a floor to all that area b/w the turf field and the bball court.  Its not huge, but could house a sports bar and a HOF and maybe some other attractions.  IDK what/if/any structural limitations there are to that.

6/04/2018 9:49 am  #11

townsonkid wrote:

Cant they build upwards then?   Add a floor to all that area b/w the turf field and the bball court.  Its not huge, but could house a sports bar and a HOF and maybe some other attractions.  IDK what/if/any structural limitations there are to that.

Any sports bar would need to be on Forbes where the general public could see it. You can't make a profit off of 18 Dukes games a year, you'd need to put it where Pens fans would use it. Doesn't the Red Ring already serve that purpose?

As for the firehouse, I was thinking about the campus in general being constricted by Mercy. If Mercy wasn't there, we would have room to build a proper facility, with all of the bells and whistles.

6/04/2018 3:21 pm  #12

Sports bar? Hall of fame? Primati's?
​Good grief! Why not a roller coaster? A NASCAR course? A four-auditorium theater?
​Let's get real, folks. We don't need PPG Jr. We can go there for the big games to come.

Board footera