Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2018 4:47 pm  #1

6/11/2018 1:25 pm  #2

Re: Move In Day For Freshman

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

6/11/2018 2:19 pm  #3

6/11/2018 3:03 pm  #4

Thanks for all of the links!
Can't wait for this season to start - only 148 days to opening game!

6/11/2018 4:09 pm  #5

Dylan looks svelte!  He must have already dropped some weight.  He looks to be ready to play! 

6/11/2018 4:23 pm  #6

levon1975 wrote:

Dylan looks svelte!  He must have already dropped some weight.  He looks to be ready to play! 

I was thinking the same thing. He looks in shape.

6/11/2018 4:46 pm  #7

Roster looks a little light. If we lose 6 or 7 guys we'll only have 9 or 10 left.

6/12/2018 11:35 am  #8

WashPaRick wrote:

Roster looks a little light. If we lose 6 or 7 guys we'll only have 9 or 10 left.

Coach is monitoring the NBA draft. Anyone who registered who isn't picked will matriculate as a walk-on.

On a more serious note, I've never worried less about Duquesne recruits or a Duquesne coach. Man totally has his stuff together, in a big-time way.

6/12/2018 1:40 pm  #9

Right, but many of the players are very young and inexperienced in the “big city”.  Hopefully the coaches will use the unfortunate Nick Washington incident of last summer; and the almost daily accounts online involving athletes and women to prepare these guys for what they will face. 
Let’s hope they don’t fall victim to bad judgement or a trap set for them! 
It’s like a minefield out there!

Last edited by levon1975 (6/12/2018 5:20 pm)

6/12/2018 2:36 pm  #10

Just to turn El Duque's quote slightly: You can worry less about Duquesne's recruits because of Duquesne's coach. He is a great leader, and is just the guy to keep these kids' heads on straight.

6/13/2018 9:29 am  #11

https://mobile.twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1006641534404526085

Have to say these video updates really pump me up! Keep them coming SID! Can’t wait for the season.

6/13/2018 10:01 am  #12

HookShot wrote:

Have to say these video updates really pump me up! Keep them coming SID! Can’t wait for the season.

Agreed. The Dukes look like a big time program; high production values, frequent content on social media, accessibility for interviews by press/online sites, etc. Really a nice job.

And when the Dukes start winning, the old school press, TV and radio talk shows will have no choice but to give coverage to the Dukes.

6/13/2018 4:40 pm  #13

HookShot wrote:

You guys mentioned Swingle who does look in much better shape. Wanted to add big Mr. Hughes also looking very cut up as well in this clip.

6/13/2018 8:47 pm  #14

SID is definitely killing it.  Check out this awesome little adobe website they put on Twitter!

https://spark.adobe.com/page/2i4OnvEX8WfPI/?w=0_7916

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

6/14/2018 12:41 pm  #15

you guys keep saying SID. what is SID?

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

6/14/2018 12:44 pm  #16

SID = Sports Information Director (David Saba).

6/14/2018 5:43 pm  #17

fjhryn wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

HookShot wrote:

Agreed. The Dukes look like a big time program; high production values, frequent content on social media, accessibility for interviews by press/online sites, etc. Really a nice job.

And when the Dukes start winning, the old school press, TV and radio talk shows will have no choice but to give coverage to the Dukes.

Pardon me for being negative on the city's sports coverage, but even with success, I can't see the Dukes coverage being other than secondary to the constant "drum beating" for all things Pitt. One would think their new coaches walk on water with some of the articles printed in the PG. Can you imagine what it's going to be like if either of their new BB coaches even approach a .500 record next year?

I remember when the Dukes used to get the front page, and Pitt was on page 3. We were winning, and people cared. The sad truth is that 45 years of nothing has killed any interest from non alums, unless they're 60+. Give the non alums something to interest them, and they'll demand the coverage. Papers are in business to make money. If no one cares about the Dukes but 1,000 die hards, why would they waste their time. The hard to swallow truth is that RMU has been more deserving of coverage than us. When 5,000+ are in Palumbo every game, and coverage is lacking, then it'll be time to make some noise.

6/14/2018 11:55 pm  #18

Lived those days when we jeered the tiny Pitt crowd at the Steel Bowl and so intimidated the Pitt band with a loud Eat ** Pitt yell during the key time in their fight song that they stopped playing the song.We were the basketball news at that time but as you say it's a "what have you done for me lately" time in regards to media coverage. But then again, at least we don't have to deal with Bob Smizik's trash.

6/15/2018 6:12 am  #19

apluski wrote:

Lived those days when we jeered the tiny Pitt crowd at the Steel Bowl and so intimidated the Pitt band with a loud Eat ** Pitt yell during the key time in their fight song that they stopped playing the song.We were the basketball news at that time but as you say it's a "what have you done for me lately" time in regards to media coverage. But then again, at least we don't have to deal with Bob Smizik's trash.

We indeed hated Smizik, I once stopped him in the Arena and said, “Bob, can’t you be a little more fair when you write about Duquesne?” , he said he always was, so in my mid-twenties cool said. ” Smizz , just don’t be a jagg off!”

A diehard fan since 1961

6/15/2018 11:23 am  #20

6/15/2018 1:38 pm  #21

Anyone impressed with how well spoken these kids are? More to like.

6/17/2018 11:57 am  #22

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1008052349640822784

The first official day of practice for the 2018-19 college basketball season will be Tuesday September 25th, per the NCAA.

6/19/2018 10:11 am  #23

duq81 wrote:

fjhryn wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Pardon me for being negative on the city's sports coverage, but even with success, I can't see the Dukes coverage being other than secondary to the constant "drum beating" for all things Pitt. One would think their new coaches walk on water with some of the articles printed in the PG. Can you imagine what it's going to be like if either of their new BB coaches even approach a .500 record next year?

I remember when the Dukes used to get the front page, and Pitt was on page 3. We were winning, and people cared. The sad truth is that 45 years of nothing has killed any interest from non alums, unless they're 60+. Give the non alums something to interest them, and they'll demand the coverage. Papers are in business to make money. If no one cares about the Dukes but 1,000 die hards, why would they waste their time. The hard to swallow truth is that RMU has been more deserving of coverage than us. When 5,000+ are in Palumbo every game, and coverage is lacking, then it'll be time to make some noise.

Seconded

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera