Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2018 1:23 pm  #26

Re: Tydus Transferring

It very well could be style of play, and probably a good decision for him.  Dsnyder15 may be able to shed some light on this but it is my understanding that KD likes "Bigs" who can step out and shoot the three.  Tydus has the distinction of being the only player not to even attempt a single three point shot for the season, even though for the most part unguarded and wide open from beyond the three point line.  There is going to be tremendous competition at the 4 and 5 next season.  One of whom is Gavin Bizeau who is a guard trapped in a big man's body.  Bizeau will likely be a 4 or 3 and not only brings shot blocking ability but is a really good shooter and passer (no wonder some rated him a 4 star).  How much he can bulk up over the summer, and how well he is able to play defense may determine how many minutes he plays and possibly if he starts.  I think Tydus would have had a tough time holding down the starting job with Weathers, Bizeau, and Rotroff (PF/C). 

I know this video below is just a game of "Horse" but it does give you some indication of Bizeau's shooting ability.

https://twitter.com/twayer10/status/976476937219706881

Last edited by CLK (3/30/2018 1:28 pm)

3/30/2018 1:49 pm  #27

Addiition by subtraction.

3/30/2018 2:59 pm  #28

KD said he plays an inside out offense. He wants his 4 and 5 to score.
TV couldn't score though he tried.  With the bigs coming in next year,
TV concluded he wouldn't play much.
I wish him the best.  He is a played hard, gave his all and is a good citizen.
Hopefully,  he will develop more at his new school.

3/30/2018 8:03 pm  #29

CLK wrote:

It very well could be style of play, and probably a good decision for him.  Dsnyder15 may be able to shed some light on this but it is my understanding that KD likes "Bigs" who can step out and shoot the three.  Tydus has the distinction of being the only player not to even attempt a single three point shot for the season, even though for the most part unguarded and wide open from beyond the three point line.  There is going to be tremendous competition at the 4 and 5 next season.  One of whom is Gavin Bizeau who is a guard trapped in a big man's body.  Bizeau will likely be a 4 or 3 and not only brings shot blocking ability but is a really good shooter and passer (no wonder some rated him a 4 star).  How much he can bulk up over the summer, and how well he is able to play defense may determine how many minutes he plays and possibly if he starts.  I think Tydus would have had a tough time holding down the starting job with Weathers, Bizeau, and Rotroff (PF/C). 

I know this video below is just a game of "Horse" but it does give you some indication of Bizeau's shooting ability.

https://twitter.com/twayer10/status/976476937219706881

KD likes ball movement....and to shoot the ball when the shot is available.  Passing is emphasized but the shot may be there on the first pass or the 5th.  Shoot when open.  That said...KD likes to run the ball through the post with 2-3 guys on the floor who can shoot the ball.  There always seems to be a big that can shoot the 3.  The 2 & 3 are indistinguishable as both are shooters and defenders.  KD places a high value on defense and defending the paint so I am sure KD highly valued TV.  He was an athletic big and could switch effectively.  I believe TV was homesick and wanted to be used more on offense.  That could have happen over time but was unlikely next year.  From what I saw from TV...I am surprised by what I read in the article. All year long it was a struggle to score and the passing was not all that crisp, quick or fluid.  It is hard to believe that TV would not have been used more on offense if he was capable.  From what I saw...he was not. This is America and you get to chase your dreams.  I hope he finds what he is looking for.

If you listen to the podcast I linked in another thread you will understand that the college game is going more to the guard dominant offenses.  KD likes big or long defenders.  It surprises me that TV would leave a program that values bigs.  Mark me down as surprised and confused.

3/31/2018 6:23 am  #30

The BEST thing about Freshmen is they become Sophomores -- BUMMER that we won't get to see Tydus 2.0 after Tydus 1.0 -  He brought a unique set of skills to the team - Someone out there will be getting a pretty good player - Wish him the best!!

3/31/2018 6:47 am  #31

PSN saying another departure or 2 won't be a surprise. Of course that's been mentioned here before.

3/31/2018 8:00 am  #32

WashPaRick wrote:

PSN saying another departure or 2 won't be a surprise. Of course that's been mentioned here before.

I'm thinking Marko, and maybe Nicholas.

3/31/2018 8:09 am  #33

WashPaRick wrote:

They took 5 minutes out of their busy schedule burying their heads up Pitt's butt?

3/31/2018 8:37 am  #34

townsonkid wrote:

He probably could have played SF spot with all the size coming in, wouldnt have had to be a 4 or 5.  But no need thinking about it now.

If he had a shot maybe; but it’s ridiculous for him to say he wants to play on the perimeter when he can’t shoot.  Teams would simply ignore him out there and you would be playing 4 against 5.  He should have worked on developing a shot at a younger age if he wanted to play a stretch 4, or a 3 spot.  Right now it makes no sense

3/31/2018 12:01 pm  #35

townsonkid wrote:

He probably could have played SF spot with all the size coming in, wouldnt have had to be a 4 or 5.  But no need thinking about it now.

He was never going to play the 3 here. Because the bulk of the talent are guards, we're likely to see a lot of 3 guards on the floor.

3/31/2018 1:09 pm  #36

I think CLk and some others nailed it on TV. Seems like a great kid and love the shot blocking but doesnt necessarily give you much more and future here more depth role player type . You need those type of players too but doesn't shoot it well enough or... play big enough on O.... to warrant full time on a good team.

3/31/2018 4:18 pm  #37

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

He was never going to play the 3 here. Because the bulk of the talent are guards, we're likely to see a lot of 3 guards on the floor.

It figures that Williams will play many minutes again next year, and if this board insists on saying he's a guard, then we will have 3 guards on the floor frequently next year.

The freshman recruiting class is tall, and I'm thinking several of them will see lots of minutes right away. 

3/31/2018 7:39 pm  #38

With Williams Smith KT the transfers and recruits I do believe that KD will come up with a solid rotation and might be able to go big or small depending  upon the circumstances.I heard he didnt use a lot of guys at Akron but he may have the luxury of depth and role players next year. Anyone  remember guys like Willie Hines Steve McHugh Don Maser and many more who were role players and provided a unique talent to spark a team? Maybe Marko and KT next year although maybe they dont aee the floor if all these players pan out!

3/31/2018 8:32 pm  #39

applecorps wrote:

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

It figures that Williams will play many minutes again next year, and if this board insists on saying he's a guard, then we will have 3 guards on the floor frequently next year.

Williams isn’t a guard?
The freshman recruiting class is tall, and I'm thinking several of them will see lots of minutes right away. 

3/31/2018 9:35 pm  #40

I think Williams is  a guard a 2 guard and he   could possibly play some  3 if you had 2 other true bigs on the floor? It will be fun next year with many more possible rotations

3/31/2018 9:53 pm  #41

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

With Williams Smith KT the transfers and recruits I do believe that KD will come up with a solid rotation and might be able to go big or small depending upon the circumstances.I heard he didnt use a lot of guys at Akron but he may have the luxury of depth and role players next year. Anyone remember guys like Willie Hines Steve McHugh Don Maser and many more who were role players and provided a unique talent to spark a team? Maybe Marko and KT next year although maybe they dont aee the floor if all these players pan out!

Your information is incorrect.  KD used rotations of 9-11 players at Akron.  That was what made us difficult to play.  Akron never had the "go to" scorer but 3-5 guys who could be the lead scorer on any given night.  Akron was always strong late in the game because guys did not play that many minutes...and there were lots of fouls to use if needed.  Akron transitioned from one year to the next easily because there were so many guys who had experiance and were ready to step up.  If TV had stayed....I suspect KD would have used a 11 man rotation.  The rotation will be still be deep.  I am really disappointed that TV did not stay....he would have excelled in KD's system over the long term.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (3/31/2018 10:54 pm)

3/31/2018 9:55 pm  #42

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

I think Williams is a guard a 2 guard and he could possibly play some 3 if you had 2 other true bigs on the floor? It will be fun next year with many more possible rotations

I don't think you should get caught up in 2 vs 3.  They are pretty much interchangeable in KD's offense.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (3/31/2018 10:32 pm)

3/31/2018 9:57 pm  #43

DSnyder thank you! I stand corrected and it actually makes sense but I didn't see Akron play and I should know better than to accept hearsay!Hahaha I appreciate your insight and I do think it will be fun next year and interesting to see how KD puts it all together! Thanks again Jack

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (3/31/2018 9:59 pm)

4/02/2018 9:42 am  #44

A little late with this but wishing TV all the best! Think he could have developed into a solid all around player here but hoping his future is bright. Didn't quite get his reference as to how he was used here. Had some work to do before he could be utilized in any other way that this past season.

4/02/2018 10:18 am  #45

president wrote:

Didn't quite get his reference as to how he was used here. Had some work to do before he could be utilized in any other way that this past season.

Based on some highlights and stat lines I saw for him in high school, it looked like he played more at the 3 or somewhat of a "point forward" position. He came from a very weak league and area from a talent perspective and was able to dominate in all facets of the game, this might have given him an inflated idea of his abilities.

As you said, the harsh reality is that he wasn't good of enough to play the same type of role at this level, at least not yet. Unless it was a major lack of confidence this year, I personally believe he will never be that type of player at the college level, due to a sheer lack of talent. Yes he was extremely effective at blocking shots, he was very long and athletic and had uncanny timing defensively, it was quite clearly his best trait.

The reason Tydus had one big game this year offensively was because it came at a time he had likely been completely written off by A10 teams as an offensive threat, and he got a bunch of super easy open looks under the basket that he could not have missed unless he was Chas Brown.

The quick test for me as to whether or not TV is a big loss is to ask myself, if all of these guys were in the same class (TV and the freshman bigs incoming) would I take TV over any of the other 3? My answer is definitely not.

Couple that with the fact that you have two more interior players coming in with D1 experience in Weathers and Hughes, and I think there would have been a good chance of TV getting lost in the mix next year anyway.

Nice kid, good luck.

6/21/2018 8:25 am  #46

Signed with UTEP

6/21/2018 8:29 am  #47

CLK wrote:

Signed with UTEP

Not exactly in California, but closer than Pittsburgh.

6/21/2018 8:35 am  #48

Best of luck to tydus. Seems like a great kid with a nice family. I do believe that Lamar Norman originally signed with UTEP, so we essentially traded tydus for Lamar. We'll see who ends up with the better end of the deal.

6/21/2018 12:18 pm  #49

I had to look it up to see who the new coach at UTEP is, as I do somewhat recall Tim Floyd stepping down early on this past season. The new Miners coach is Rodney Terry, previously of Fresno State and one of the schools that recruited Tydus out of high school.

6/21/2018 12:48 pm  #50

Nice find, Brian. I was thinking Tydus was the player to be named in the Marqywell Jackson deal a few years back, but I'll take Norman. With all the height and length on next year's team and beyond, Dukes should be fine. Best of luck to Tydus. 

Board footera