Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2018 3:31 pm  #1

OOC Schedule

Per PSN:

@ Notre Dame
Penn State  (PPG)
Marshall  (Palumbo)

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/04/11/dukes-to-play-marshall-notre-dame-penn-state-in-tougher-2018-19-schedule/

Last edited by Brian (4/11/2018 3:32 pm)

4/11/2018 3:44 pm  #2

Re: OOC Schedule

Love that home game against Marshall! ND loses a lot from this year's team. Good to get psu back on the schedule too.

4/11/2018 3:54 pm  #3

Love it

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/11/2018 4:19 pm  #4

Look for Dunn to be pumped up for the Marshall game. His hometown team that didn't try to recruit him.

4/11/2018 4:30 pm  #5

That's a solid start to the schedule. The Nits will be good next year, and playing ND is always good. Marshall had a good squad this past year. Don't know what they have coming back, but that's the type of team you need to have games against. They can add a couple of cupcakes, but try to avoid the true dregs.

4/11/2018 4:33 pm  #6

Higher RPI win or lose.  Hopefully better attendance too!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

4/11/2018 4:41 pm  #7

The fact of the Dukes being 5-2 against Notre Dame was initially surprising. But it's been a long time between meetings (1995 the latest). ND had to face our program when Duquesne was a tough opponent.

The upcoming season seems promising at this point, and having a better OOC schedule was certainly a need.

4/11/2018 4:47 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

That's a solid start to the schedule. The Nits will be good next year, and playing ND is always good. Marshall had a good squad this past year. Don't know what they have coming back, but that's the type of team you need to have games against. They can add a couple of cupcakes, but try to avoid the true dregs.

Majority of Marshall's rotation this year was comprised of juniors and freshmen so i'd think we'll see the majority of the team that got them to the Dance and upset Wichita.

--We know for certain Penn St won't bring back Tony Carr as he's off to the NBA.

Last edited by Brian (4/11/2018 4:50 pm)

4/11/2018 4:56 pm  #9

Brian wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Majority of Marshall's rotation this year was comprised of juniors and freshmen so i'd think we'll see the majority of the team that got them to the Dance and upset Wichita.

--We know for certain Penn St won't bring back Tony Carr as he's off to the NBA.

Shep Garner is gone for penn state too. They will still be good but probably not a tournament team.

4/11/2018 5:06 pm  #10

This should help season ticket sales.  Overall ticket sales.  RPI, SOS, a national viewing auidence, local hype.   Its all good and if our guys are close to what we hope, maybe win 3/4(including pitt).   
I’m giddy!!!!

4/11/2018 6:07 pm  #11

Also saw this from Sarah: 
https://twitter.com/sarah_k_spence/status/984167156555362305

I'm going to assume the set-up with ND is similar to what we did with Kentucky in the "Bluegrass Showcase" two seasons ago (Buzzer beater losses to Canisius & UT-Martin and a win over Cleveland St. all at home) 
and three opponents will be who is doing this "Notre Dame Invitational".  Notre Dame isn't slated for an exempt tournament as of now. 

4/12/2018 10:21 am  #12

I am already considering a road trip to ND.  Being a lifelong ND football fan, and going out there a half dozen times, I can tell you that campus does not disappoint.  For you catholics, it's worth a trip.  Its a 5+ hr drive, simple as can be.  Highway 80 across Ohio and most of Ind.  By the time bball season rolls around and the leaves are off the trees, you can see the Golden Dome from the highway.  It's a pretty neat sight to see, and it wont be a mad house like it is for football weekends.
If it means taking 2 days off from work for a week night game, so be it.  It would be something to see my alma mater take on the Irish across the street from the house that Rockne built.

4/12/2018 10:28 am  #13

townsonkid wrote:

I am already considering a road trip to ND.  Being a lifelong ND football fan, and going out there a half dozen times, I can tell you that campus does not disappoint.  For you catholics, it's worth a trip.  Its a 5+ hr drive, simple as can be.  Highway 80 across Ohio and most of Ind.  By the time bball season rolls around and the leaves are off the trees, you can see the Golden Dome from the highway.  It's a pretty neat sight to see, and it wont be a mad house like it is for football weekends.
If it means taking 2 days off from work for a week night game, so be it.  It would be something to see my alma mater take on the Irish across the street from the house that Rockne built.

a couple of us from the Crew are already planning on making the drive. i don't know what you mean by 5+ hours, it would take around 8 to get there from Pittsburgh

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/12/2018 10:33 am  #14

yak-rbc wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

a couple of us from the Crew are already planning on making the drive. i don't know what you mean by 5+ hours, it would take around 8 to get there from Pittsburgh

The Internet says 6 and half, but we did it in less than 6 two years ago.

4/12/2018 10:55 am  #15

townsonkid wrote:

My father, his brother, and his sister all graduated from ND so needless to say, I too am a big Irish fan. Love the campus and will probably make the trip as well.

We may see an ex recruit starting against us at PPG. Jamari Wheeler was basically their sixth man as a freshman this year and they are losing guards.

And don't forget the return of Jimmy "brick by brick" Ferry.

Love Marshall too. Mid major that reached the tourney and upset I believe a 4 seed? Kind of exactly what we are trying to be, no? It will be interesting to see how we match up with a program we are essentially trying to emulate at this point.

Last edited by Duques102 (4/12/2018 10:55 am)

4/12/2018 1:06 pm  #16

Dukes2012 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

The Internet says 6 and half, but we did it in less than 6 two years ago.

You must have been flying. Of course once you get into the Midwest, the flat terrain makes speeding much easier than it is here in the good old Appalachians.

4/12/2018 1:30 pm  #17

i read google maps wrong or had the wrong notre dame or something because now i see 5.5. my apologies

4/12/2018 1:38 pm  #18

Driving back, early sunday, we made it in around 5 hrs, I wasnt driving, but pretty sure we averaged 80 mph.
That was from Elkhart, IN, not South Bend, cause hotels are too expensive, and Elkhart is only a few miles from SBend.  

Best part for me, I work with a young ND grad.  He doesnt know what a basketball is, but I'm gonna have fun with him leading up to the game.   

Last edited by townsonkid (4/12/2018 2:26 pm)

6/25/2018 2:50 pm  #19

Marshall confirmed  Wednesday December 5th

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062518aaa.html

Marshall are definitely trying to up their resume/profile. They're at UMD, at UVA, at Duquesne, at Texas A&M, at Akron, at Ohio, host Toledo...

6/25/2018 4:59 pm  #20

So altogether then that's:

Nov. 10: vs. William & Mary
Nov. 12: vs. UIC
Nov. 17: vs. Radford
Nov. 20: @ Notre Dame
Dec. 5: vs. Marshall
Dec. 19; vs. Penn State at PPG
mid-Dec: vs. Longwood
?: Pitt at PPG (has been the first Friday in December the last four seasons, which would be only two days after the Marshall game, maybe Nov 30 this year?)
?: @ Robert Morris 

Last edited by DennisC91 (6/25/2018 5:00 pm)

6/25/2018 7:33 pm  #21

FWIW, related to the City Game, it won't be a Saturday in that usual slot--PPG booked already on 12.1 and 12.8. 

6/29/2018 11:54 am  #22

duq81 wrote:

Yeah we can stop scheduling all those HBCs.  Man the kids at those schools just get pounded for a paycheck.  They are usually most of the bottom 20 in RPI every year

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (6/29/2018 11:54 am)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/30/2018 8:10 am  #23

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Yeah we can stop scheduling all those HBCs.  Man the kids at those schools just get pounded for a paycheck.  They are usually most of the bottom 20 in RPI every year

What's weird is that while the MEAC and SWAC are generally regarded as the two worst conferences, they both have won multiple games in the NCAAs. No NEC team has ever advanced to the round of 32. (Although Bobby Mo did beat Villanova, but had it taken away by some of the worst officiating that I've ever seen in nearly 50 years of following basketball)

Board footera