Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2018 12:25 pm  #1

New Roster or Not that New Roster?

There has been so much talk of “what to expect from this completely revamped roster”. While technically true, I see a hole in this logic. I expect this team to be ready for the big show almost immediately. The reason? Everyone talks about “three returning players from last year’s team”.

While true, we should not underestimate the value of having 5 guys with college experience coming in right away. These guys have been in the program for over a year and have been involved in the following aspects for over a year:

Offseasons (2)
Weekly workout regiment
Weekly practice regiment
Gameplanning on a weekly basis, knowledge of A10 teams
Being in an in game environment with Dambrot coaching.
Playing with guys active on the roster (over one year)

All they haven’t done is play in an official game. So in my opinion of the 8 guys that truly makeup “last year’s roster that are returning” we have:

3 guys that played in games. Two of which being arguably the best players on last year’s team.

Two guys from coach’s old program. One a strong big who has clearly lost a lot of weight in the offseason, and based on highlights has great hands and touch around the rim. The other is a small explosive point guard with tons of ability to handle the rock and score. This guy will be great spelling off the bench.

Two really tall guards coming from BCS programs. Both contributed with decent numbers as underclassmen at their previous schools. Both stronger and a year in Dambrot system. I’m expecting both of them to challenge those two best players from last year for starting spots.

A guy who may quietly become the most important player on the team. Think of what Kellon Taylor added as a glue guy, but a much more improved, polished product. Extremely long and can rebound and score around the basket, just a tough player. Expecting him to likely take and lock up the starting 3 spot from the Getgo.

Take all these great “returning pieces” and sprinkle in 7 freshman. Bringing in 6’11” x 3 6’9”, and some really talented, explosive looking guards. If 3 of these guys give solid contributions this year we are 11, yes 11 deep.

These are the reasons I feel this team should be firing on all cylinders well before the A10 portion of the season starts. Thoughts?

Last edited by Duques102 (7/06/2018 12:26 pm)

7/06/2018 2:32 pm  #2

Re: New Roster or Not that New Roster?

Duques102 wrote:

There has been so much talk of “what to expect from this completely revamped roster”. While technically true, I see a hole in this logic. I expect this team to be ready for the big show almost immediately. The reason? Everyone talks about “three returning players from last year’s team”.

While true, we should not underestimate the value of having 5 guys with college experience coming in right away. These guys have been in the program for over a year and have been involved in the following aspects for over a year:

Offseasons (2)
Weekly workout regiment
Weekly practice regiment
Gameplanning on a weekly basis, knowledge of A10 teams
Being in an in game environment with Dambrot coaching.
Playing with guys active on the roster (over one year)

All they haven’t done is play in an official game. So in my opinion of the 8 guys that truly makeup “last year’s roster that are returning” we have:

3 guys that played in games. Two of which being arguably the best players on last year’s team.

Two guys from coach’s old program. One a strong big who has clearly lost a lot of weight in the offseason, and based on highlights has great hands and touch around the rim. The other is a small explosive point guard with tons of ability to handle the rock and score. This guy will be great spelling off the bench.

Two really tall guards coming from BCS programs. Both contributed with decent numbers as underclassmen at their previous schools. Both stronger and a year in Dambrot system. I’m expecting both of them to challenge those two best players from last year for starting spots.

A guy who may quietly become the most important player on the team. Think of what Kellon Taylor added as a glue guy, but a much more improved, polished product. Extremely long and can rebound and score around the basket, just a tough player. Expecting him to likely take and lock up the starting 3 spot from the Getgo.

Take all these great “returning pieces” and sprinkle in 7 freshman. Bringing in 6’11” x 3 6’9”, and some really talented, explosive looking guards. If 3 of these guys give solid contributions this year we are 11, yes 11 deep.

These are the reasons I feel this team should be firing on all cylinders well before the A10 portion of the season starts. Thoughts?

Taylor isn't going to start because he can't play until football is over. He will basically miss the ooc schedule. If he ends up starting after coming in late, that means the freshmen, and maybe a transfer, are busts. I'm hoping he has to fight tooth and nail to get his minutes, which will mean that the new guys are getting it done.

7/06/2018 4:12 pm  #3

I wouldn't sleep on Taylor. He's a player. He's earned his PT all along and nothing he does surprises me. Way too early to make predictifications but if logic prevails when the OOC portion of the schedule begins, likely to see Mike Hughes, Marcus Weathers, Eric Williams, Mike Lewis, and Tavian Dunn-Martin get the first start. Randall and Frankie Hughes will play a lot and then I think you'll see the freshmen work their way in.

7/06/2018 4:17 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

I wouldn't sleep on Taylor. He's a player. He's earned his PT all along and nothing he does surprises me. Way too early to make predictifications but if logic prevails when the OOC portion of the schedule begins, likely to see Mike Hughes, Marcus Weathers, Eric Williams, Mike Lewis, and Tavian Dunn-Martin get the first start. Randall and Frankie Hughes will play a lot and then I think you'll see the freshmen work their way in.

Not doubting Taylor at all. I was trying to compare Marcus Weathers to Taylor in the sense that he could be one of the most important players on the team, in a way that numbers don’t portray. Taylor’s contributions were immense last year, leadership, grit, and even sometimes production wise. He’s an absolute warrior and sets the tone for the roster. Just saying I hope Weathers can provide those intangibles with improved talent that I believe he has.

7/06/2018 4:33 pm  #5

I agree with the basic premise made by 102 that the top 7 should be ready to hit the ground running with a combination of experience and talent should carry the team early on; but will need to get contributions from the freshmen.  I suspect that you’ll see different freshmen making contributions depending on the opponent and game situations.  Freshmen bigs should have a good opportunity to see the floor a bit more due to the needs up front. This could be good or bad depending on how quickly they can contribute.  With Mike Hughes being the only returning center, I assume they will go with Marcus Weathers sliding into the 5 when Mike needs a break or has fouls; at least until one or more of the young bigs can show they can compete.  This would give us a smaller but very mobile front line.  Still the best case scenario would be for one of the bigs to grasp the opportunity at the backup to Mike Hughes as needed.

7/06/2018 4:40 pm  #6

On the Taylor situation, no disrespect to Kellon, but last year and this year should be different as night and day.  Combine the depth and quality of this roster with the fact that Kellon will be playing football until late November; and it’s clear that he can be a valuable experienced backup when he gets his basketball legs sometime in December; but it’s hard to imagine a starting position.  If Kellon needs to step in and start in December; then we have had injuries or some disappointments.

7/06/2018 5:06 pm  #7

levon1975 wrote:

On the Taylor situation, no disrespect to Kellon, but last year and this year should be different as night and day.  Combine the depth and quality of this roster with the fact that Kellon will be playing football until late November; and it’s clear that he can be a valuable experienced backup when he gets his basketball legs sometime in December; but it’s hard to imagine a starting position.  If Kellon needs to step in and start in December; then we have had injuries or some disappointments.

Exactly my thoughts. And to your point, the freshman will all be used. I’m hoping two or three can show EW/Tydus level contributions and that would go a long way in rounding out the team.

In regards to the number of freshman bigs, that’s a lot of fouls if nothing else.

Tydus, Robinson, Brown, Taylor

OR

Hughes, Kelly, Swingle, Rotroff, Bizeau, Taylor and maybe Weathers

7/06/2018 5:19 pm  #8

levon1975 wrote:

I agree with the basic premise made by 102 that the top 7 should be ready to hit the ground running with a combination of experience and talent should carry the team early on; but will need to get contributions from the freshmen. I suspect that you’ll see different freshmen making contributions depending on the opponent and game situations. Freshmen bigs should have a good opportunity to see the floor a bit more due to the needs up front. This could be good or bad depending on how quickly they can contribute. With Mike Hughes being the only returning center, I assume they will go with Marcus Weathers sliding into the 5 when Mike needs a break or has fouls; at least until one or more of the young bigs can show they can compete. This would give us a smaller but very mobile front line. Still the best case scenario would be for one of the bigs to grasp the opportunity at the backup to Mike Hughes as needed.

My guess is that Amari Kelly will surprise a lot of people and be the first back up to Mike Hughes.  He has a college ready body, and from what I have seen on video is a beast on the boards.  Certainly Swingle & Rotroff will get some minutes but they are not as developed in my opinion as Kelly.  But at this point who the heck knows you could be right about Marcus.

Board footera