Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2018 8:04 pm  #1

Construction Costs For Palumbo

There is an interesting article at a local construction industry website concerning the rapidly rising construction costs in the Pittsburgh area and what effect it will have on future construction projects. Construction costs, i.e., materials, fuel, labor, etc., have risen 10% in the last year and at a much higher rate in the last two months do in part to labor shortages, price increases and uncertainty about the effect tariffs will have on construction materials. The author suggests this will lead to some project delays and almost certainly owners  "getting less but paying more."  I'm curious to know if the increased costs will have an effect on plans for Palumbo.

7/12/2018 10:56 am  #2

Re: Construction Costs For Palumbo

Build it and we will come

7/12/2018 6:38 pm  #3

A'64 wrote:

There is an interesting article at a local construction industry website concerning the rapidly rising construction costs in the Pittsburgh area and what effect it will have on future construction projects. Construction costs, i.e., materials, fuel, labor, etc., have risen 10% in the last year and at a much higher rate in the last two months do in part to labor shortages, price increases and uncertainty about the effect tariffs will have on construction materials. The author suggests this will lead to some project delays and almost certainly owners  "getting less but paying more."  I'm curious to know if the increased costs will have an effect on plans for Palumbo.

Fuel probably is up about 10% in the last year, but you know that fuel costs are volatile, and they could well recede again in the next few years. Construction materials and labor - not as volatile. There are also scary factoids being scattered around about the tariff situation. The tariff wars should actually be resolved in the coming months, whatever anyone's opinion is about why it is happening. (No political opinions being offered here.)

I don't think this a a real concern in the timeframe of planning and executing a renovation of Palumbo. Yeah, build it and they will come.

7/12/2018 7:12 pm  #4

applecorps wrote:

Yeah, build it and they will come.

Win and they will come!

7/12/2018 9:01 pm  #5

I think I share the enthusiasm about the next 3-4 years.It looks really good,everybody that has a important
position at Duquesne seems to be on board.I never in my wildest dream thought Duquesne would spend
40 million dollars to up grade Palumbo,improve workout facilities.I didnt even believe they would allow
players to live off campus,have a training table to feed our guys.It seems like our players will have all
the tools available comparable to what Pitt or Ohio State players have.

Board footera