Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2018 11:36 am  #1

It's time for a book on Duquesne Football History

I just found an affordable copy of Dr. Joseph Rishel's history of Duquesne University, "The Spirit that Gives Life" on Amazon.  I can't believe it took me so long to finally read this excellent work!

It affirms much of the independent research I did for my blog on the early history of the university's team that goes all the way back to being one of the first in the nation in 1891.  The Dukes played in major bowls and even turned down the Orange and Cotton Bowls when they were among the best in the nation, actually being ranked #1 in the nation by the Massey Rankings and countless AP Rankings.

We've had many NFL players and the Rooney brothers.  The Chief was quite a player for the Dukes.

Judge Jack McVay and I have talked about this project over the past few years.  Now that the Dukes are back to playing major college teams including both Massachusetts and Hawaii this year and scheduling West Virginia upcoming, it's time to recognize our history. 

I have a MA in history (from Duquesne- surprise) and am willing to write the chapters on the beginning teams up through the time the program was dissolved in the 1950's. 

I am willing to edit chapters on the Club Team, the D-III Team, The Mid Major Team and finally the return of the Scholarship Team and Looking into the Future.

I'd like to interview any players left from the 1940's and 50's if I can.

I'd propose side chapters on major rivals such as W & J, Pitt, Carnegie Tech/CMU, WVU, Dayton, Robert Morris, etc. I'd also like to highlight players and coaches such as Art Rooney, Elmer Layden, Fr. McDermott, Buff Donnelly, Leigh Bodden, Greg  Gatusso and Jerry Schmidt.

Anybody interested in writing or coauthoring the club, D-III, and recent chapters?

Last edited by coffee (8/25/2018 11:40 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

8/25/2018 1:54 pm  #2

Re: It's time for a book on Duquesne Football History

Dr. Rishel was probably my favorite professor I had while attending Duquesne (besides maybe Dr. Moss).  His lectures on History were incredible.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

8/25/2018 1:55 pm  #3

Re: It's time for a book on Duquesne Football History

Coffee I would love to read that, but I'm not much of a historian, especially when it comes to football.  I am, however, more excited about Duquesne football than I have ever been!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

Board footera