Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/04/2018 2:04 pm  #1

RMU

I just read that RMU will be playing all home games this year at their on-campus student center. Their arena won’t be ready till April and they aren’t renting PPG/AJP. 

That student center has temp bleachers and can’t hold more than 500 max.   They averaged 765 people per game last season at PPG.

I imagine this is why we aren’t playing them.   I don’t know why they wouldn’t come to Palumbo two seasons in a row.

Last edited by duqkurt (9/04/2018 2:57 pm)

9/04/2018 2:45 pm  #2

Re: RMU

Explains a lot.

9/04/2018 3:34 pm  #3

I had heard that the renovations were behind and were hoping to be completed by graduation. Of course, none of the progress of how their arena was coming along was even mentioned when the articles were written about no Duquesne-RMU matchup this year.

9/04/2018 9:48 pm  #4

Brian wrote:

I had heard that the renovations were behind and were hoping to be completed by graduation. Of course, none of the progress of how their arena was coming along was even mentioned when the articles were written about no Duquesne-RMU matchup this year.

To be fair the media didn’t mention any reason why we weren’t playing them.   We are just concluding this is the reason.  And a lot of fans also jumped to conclusions with a lot of fans saying it was horse crap that we weren’t playing them. 

I for one don’t want DU being the school to play them first when the arena opens.   That would be probably there only sellout and they would be beyond hyped.   I’m not for giving a local rival free publicity on our behalf. 

If Dambrot doesn’t want to travel to play games at NEC schools so be it.  I’m behind his decision. 

And while I know I would have been pissed if the Pitt women stopped playing DU.   I understand the pecking order in college sports.   If P5 schools look out for themselves and don’t travel to mid major schools, then I’m all for A10 schools not playing at lower level D1 schools.

Last edited by duqkurt (9/05/2018 6:01 pm)

9/05/2018 5:20 pm  #5

Agree wholeheartedly Duqhart although I am skeptical of a sellout as last year the Dukes RMU basketball game drew about half of what the Dukes RMU football game drew between the schools.  Maybe it would sell out as a first game but I just don't think there is necessarily that much local interest in this as a basketball game and certainly not on par with Pitt game

9/05/2018 6:04 pm  #6

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly Duqhart although I am skeptical of a sellout as last year the Dukes RMU basketball game drew about half of what the Dukes RMU football game drew between the schools.  Maybe it would sell out as a first game but I just don't think there is necessarily that much local interest in this as a basketball game and certainly not on par with Pitt game

RMU is the local media darling.  They will treat their new gym as the second coming of the Taj Mahal.   Agree that DU doesn’t need to be a part of it.

9/29/2018 4:18 pm  #7

Apologies  as I just noticed Duqkurt....for calling you Dukhart! Your comments always demonstrate heart and it was a subconscious slip!

10/01/2018 5:30 pm  #8

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Apologies  as I just noticed Duqkurt....for calling you Dukhart! Your comments always demonstrate heart and it was a subconscious slip!

No worries.  I wear my heart on my sleeve at times.   I am a part of the all too small group that is deeply invested in seeing DU do well.   

I never thought I’d say this but as I get older my interest in pro sports lessens each year.   But my interest in DU’s success has actually grown.

10/01/2018 5:45 pm  #9

Thanks and interesting point! I'm still a Pirates Steelers and partial Pens season ticket holder along with Dukes MBB WBB and football,  but I don't have the same broad interest beyond local pro teams re  their respective leagues.  Don't watch other games like I used to in mlb nfl and never really did in nhl! Will watch anything Duquesne and also other college games. Is that some kind of reflection of old age? Haha.  Thanks again Duqkurt

Board footera