Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2018 11:06 am  #1

New NEC member

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/merrimack-college-athletics-to-make-move-to-division/article_f5be8c2e-b50a-11e8-a5f2-bf6c7f8a93ee.html

Merrimack College is moving up from D2 and joining the NEC in all sports, including football. They will be a full member by 2023 after the mandatory 4-year re-classification period.

They're located in NE Massachussets, much closer to Bryant/SH/CCSU, and they would be the Dukes new farthest conference opponent, 

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

9/10/2018 11:15 am  #2

Re: New NEC member

If I understand the re-classifying process correctly, Merrimack will have to have a schedule that is D1 compliant by year 2 (2020), which means I guess we could see them on the football schedule by that point in time? I'm not quite sure how it works.

Here's what else I think, though...I think this should increase speculation that Duquesne is preparing to bounce the NEC by the time they play WVU in 2023. Merrimack would be a full member by then and I don't think the NEC wants to drop below 7 teams playing football.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

9/11/2018 7:24 am  #3

The NEC is still a school short from the last set of defections. Duquesne would need to drastically change their stadium situation to move up a conference. They'd also start from the bottom for very little advantage.

If I were them, I would enjoy the success I'm having in a lower conference and maybe win quite a few more outright championships before I bolt.

9/12/2018 6:04 pm  #4

Again definitely the stadium issue. But again I do see them working out something with highmark and/or enticing some visitors with an occasional off week at Heinz. Realistically who would they move up to?

Pioneer: Same conference strength maybe an inch higher in play. But more spread out travel.  Marist and lots of Dayton games over the years. Again too much travel and not a high enough jump to me for a move.

the "Valley" conferences: Missouri valley home of a "burb of the Burgh" YSU. Definate step up but realistically on football field doable. Again a league that would demand a stadium upgrade. Could sneak up every couple of years for a run, sandwiched in between top team beatdowns (YSU already has) and mid tier wins here and there (I.E. Sycamores). A little far travel to the west but a bus league, on verge of needing to fly to these places.

Ohio Valley about the same but more southwest travels. Probably overall would be more competitive right away in this league. I do not think any "huge" powerhouse in this group. Solid teams that share the spotlight a little more. Again though most if not all have much better stadiums. not WPIAL single A facility. :/ 

Patriot League: Like the Pioneer just a few notches above, better than pioneer but not by too much. Honestly this would be a Good Fit. Travel is nice. Dukes could be competitive right away. BUT I think the hold up may be the Dukes are perceived to be academically inferior enough not to be invited. Much like ACC I guess did not add WVU. IDK, it little silly/pompous to me. But that also said in reality they offer a few more schollies I think but are relatively a 1 bid league. Is that really moving up? 

CAA- If Albany is there the Dukes could be. I assume, while about equal on the field, they offer more schollies than the NEC they left. I look at their competitiveness there and the Dukes probably are on Par. Again however, the Danes have a nice 10,000 Seat facility. I know this is offset more by 10,000 more students and SUNY affiliation. the JMU's , Richmonds and Stony Brooks ain't comin to the bluff.

The CAA might be most "sexy" fit but is full of fringe FBS/FCS schools gearing up for possible moves on the gridiron. The Patriot is probably best fit as a step up slightly in football. Also they have Georgetown who also offers less schollies and plays on a small field. I think the Patriot likes the " basketball" recognition they have. Also a little more higher rank academics as a similar Catholic school.

ULTIMATELY I would like to see the Dukes in the Big South. With the Carolina's (outer banks) as Pittsburgh's preferred party vaca spot. You should be pretty competitive instantly with a much higher profile. As a fan you can slip over the back way to the Carolinas in the fall through the scenic mountains. Most stadiums and institutions are not too "Grand". You even have a Hampton now whom can bring their band every once in a while maybe. It would be considered a step up but VERY competitive.

9/13/2018 10:07 am  #5

Again definitely the stadium issue. But again I do see them working out something with highmark and/or enticing some visitors with an occasional off week at Heinz. Realistically who would they move up to?

Pioneer: Same conference strength maybe an inch higher in play. But more spread out travel.  Marist and lots of Dayton games over the years. Again too much travel and not a high enough jump to me for a move.

the "Valley" conferences: Missouri valley home of a "burb of the Burgh" YSU. Definate step up but realistically on football field doable. Again a league that would demand a stadium upgrade. Could sneak up every couple of years for a run, sandwiched in between top team beatdowns (YSU already has) and mid tier wins here and there (I.E. Sycamores). A little far travel to the west but a bus league, on verge of needing to fly to these places.

Ohio Valley about the same but more southwest travels. Probably overall would be more competitive right away in this league. I do not think any "huge" powerhouse in this group. Solid teams that share the spotlight a little more. Again though most if not all have much better stadiums. not WPIAL single A facility. :/ 

Patriot League: Like the Pioneer just a few notches above, better than pioneer but not by too much. Honestly this would be a Good Fit. Travel is nice. Dukes could be competitive right away. BUT I think the hold up may be the Dukes are perceived to be academically inferior enough not to be invited. Much like ACC I guess did not add WVU. IDK, it little silly/pompous to me. But that also said in reality they offer a few more schollies I think but are relatively a 1 bid league. Is that really moving up? 

CAA- If Albany is there the Dukes could be. I assume, while about equal on the field, they offer more schollies than the NEC they left. I look at their competitiveness there and the Dukes probably are on Par. Again however, the Danes have a nice 10,000 Seat facility. I know this is offset more by 10,000 more students and SUNY affiliation. the JMU's , Richmonds and Stony Brooks ain't comin to the bluff.

The CAA might be most "sexy" fit but is full of fringe FBS/FCS schools gearing up for possible moves on the gridiron. The Patriot is probably best fit as a step up slightly in football. Also they have Georgetown who also offers less schollies and plays on a small field. I think the Patriot likes the " basketball" recognition they have. Also a little more higher rank academics as a similar Catholic school.

ULTIMATELY I would like to see the Dukes in the Big South. With the Carolina's (outer banks) as Pittsburgh's preferred party vaca spot. You should be pretty competitive instantly with a much higher profile. As a fan you can slip over the back way to the Carolinas in the fall through the scenic mountains. Most stadiums and institutions are not too "Grand". You even have a Hampton now whom can bring their band every once in a while maybe. It would be considered a step up but VERY competitive.

9/13/2018 1:37 pm  #6

Enjoyed reading your assessment BigIke and I think you are right on point with many things and we need to increase schollies almost wherever we would go! CAA or Patriot seems logical to me.Again it may initially appear crazy and I maybe am exactly that but I would prefer an A10 football conference which I believe over the long haul and if done right ( money) could raise the profile of the basketball conference and the A10 schools overall!

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (9/13/2018 7:11 pm)

9/13/2018 5:57 pm  #7

From my notes

Atlantic 10 Football Conference
Duquesne
Dayton
Fordham
George Mason
Davidson
Rhode Island
Richmond

Possibles
Georgetown
Hampton
Butler
Monmouth
Valparaiso
Albany- too late

Last edited by coffee (9/13/2018 6:03 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

9/14/2018 7:12 pm  #8

coffee wrote:

From my notes

Atlantic 10 Football Conference
Duquesne
Dayton
Fordham
George Mason
Davidson
Rhode Island
Richmond

Possibles
Georgetown
Hampton
Butler
Monmouth
Valparaiso
Albany- too late

George Mason doesn’t play football.

9/14/2018 7:21 pm  #9

George Mason has fielded a varsity club football team since 1993 that competes intercollegiately. Their opponents range from other club teams to NCAA Division I FCS programs.
From Wikipedia.

They don't want to spend the money going big time but they have over 30,000 student.

Potential there.

Last edited by coffee (9/14/2018 7:34 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

Board footera