Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2018 12:11 pm  #1

Thirty days and counting ...

William and Mary at Palumbo - Nov. 10

This will be interesting - not a easy start to the schedule.  W&M was 19-12 last year and their 6-10" Knight is an All-American while Milon (6-5") and Pierce (6-7") are key pieces to build around.  This should be quite a test.

Last edited by indygjm (10/10/2018 12:13 pm)

10/10/2018 2:07 pm  #2

Re: Thirty days and counting ...

indygjm wrote:

William and Mary at Palumbo - Nov. 10

This will be interesting - not a easy start to the schedule.  W&M was 19-12 last year and their 6-10" Knight is an All-American while Milon (6-5") and Pierce (6-7") are key pieces to build around.  This should be quite a test.

They're 83rd in the Sports Madness Top 144, so they should be a pretty good team. That said, the game is here. If the Dukes can't win this at home, how are they going to beat mid level A10 teams on the road, or top 5 A10 teams at home? Good teams win this game, .500 teams don't.

10/10/2018 2:25 pm  #3

I don’t agree at all; playing a veteran team that was successful last year is a tough opener for a team that hasn’t played a meaningful game together.  Beating W&M in the opener would be a very nice accomplishment; but a loss would not be shocking.  It will be a learning experience for the freshmen and some of the transfers who played only sparingly at their previous schools.  This team should get better as the preseason progresses; and be much better by the the time the A-10 rolls around!

10/10/2018 3:21 pm  #4

The competition gets better as the year goes on too. We won 16 games last year with a weak roster. Anything less than 20 wins will be a disappointment. We need to position ourselves for the breakthrough next year. We can't do that hovering around .500. Dambrot has set it up for us to make a run at the NCAAs next year. We have to keep the forward momentum going. We need to win this game.

10/11/2018 7:20 am  #5

duq81 wrote:

The competition gets better as the year goes on too. We won 16 games last year with a weak roster. Anything less than 20 wins will be a disappointment. We need to position ourselves for the breakthrough next year. We can't do that hovering around .500. Dambrot has set it up for us to make a run at the NCAAs next year. We have to keep the forward momentum going. We need to win this game.

We have 2 returning players and about 10 Freshmen and Sophmores with a lot of potential.  I'm confident that this *will become* a good team sometime this season, but I don't expect that to be on Nov. 10.  I might think differently if they open against a WM caliber team next season.

10/11/2018 7:29 am  #6

Just looking over their roster, they seem pretty solid with experience and size.  Looks to be a quality match up.

10/11/2018 12:47 pm  #7

The teams that make noise at the end of the season are teams that evolve and improve as the season progresses; not necessarily the teams that start fast.  Look at Davidson last season!  They lost a lot early in the season; but by Conference play, they were ready to win.  Despite their early record they made the Dance, and nearly beat Kentucky. 
You cannot dispair after preseason games.  This team is constructed unlike other recent Duquesne teams; in that it can, and should improve due to talent and depth.  Previous teams just wore down due to lack of depth, size, and talent.

10/11/2018 4:47 pm  #8

Here is what I know after having the privilege to observe a practice session.  In past years, I have always noticed one or two Dukes who appeared to be outstanding to me.  The reason should have been obvious to me, but wasn't.  THE REST OF THE TEAM STUNK!!!  I did not see any one player who stuck out like a sore thumb.  The reason is now obvious to me.  This team is that good!!!  I will not be surprised if ML does not start.  Sincere Carry is that good!!!  Nothing has changed to the negative in Eric Williams' game.   

The Freshmen bigs are as advertised.  Look for Austin Rotroff to be a contributor.  He appears to be a legit two-way player.  Looks for Gavin Bizeau to be a contributor,  He is a 6'11" guard.  Look for Marcus Weathers to be a force at the 4.  Look for Mike Hughes to start at PF/C. Look for a lot of kids to get playing time.  Look for quickness in our inside game as opposed to pure footspeed.  Look for a full court press defense.  Look for 1/3/1/and 2/3 zones. Things have change a lot.  Don't accept these as exclusive observations.  They only represent the highlights of the practice I saw.   I saw a lot that I liked.  IMO this team will be good or very good.

I hope my report whets the hoops appetites of our faithful.

Last edited by grammudder (10/11/2018 4:50 pm)

10/11/2018 5:48 pm  #9

very well said, grammudder.  I also attended a practice and I only see one thing you said that I have a very minor disagreement on.  Michael Hughes will have to be brought along slowly - 5-7 minutes a game at first.  I don't know if you start him under those terms.   Agree TOTALLY on Carry.  He is dynamite!.
As far as William and Mary goes, lighten up.  If we lose, we lose.  Things are not going to go perfectly all of a sudden.  Remember, this team beat George Mason last year.  Unexpected results could be commonplace this year - both good and bad.  I love what I saw, though.

10/12/2018 2:28 pm  #10

I like what I'm hearing about Carry. Can you give a little more info on what you saw him doing that impressed you? I assume he was playing the point.

10/12/2018 2:47 pm  #11

The day I was there it was the smoothness of his ball handling and overall confidence he showed.  Very quick movement also like I have not seen maybe since Mike James?  Did not shoot much when I was there but when he did that confidence showed and the shot was just fine.

10/12/2018 3:13 pm  #12

Carry has gotten the least amount of hype on this board because his injury kept him from playing. This may be a player who Duquesne could never have gotten a sniff of had he been healthy. Maybe our biggest steal since Saunders. We're going to be so deep in the backcourt that it won't surprise me to see a lot of 3 guard sets against opponents that don't have tons of size.

10/12/2018 4:39 pm  #13

Very good news to hear about Carry.  I know from his video he is strong, a definite D-1 body.  He kind of reminded me physically of the very sturdy guard that played for Davidson a couple of years ago.  I believe his name was Jack Gibbs; very strong and a good scorer. 

Board footera