Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2018 12:00 pm  #1

10/18/2018 12:44 pm  #2

Re: So this is Ritter's Diner ...

One of my lasting memories at Ritter's is one early morning breakfast with several Duquesne drinking buddies. While lingering over coffee after eating and debating the fate of mankind, we unanimously reached the decision to order another round of breakfast. 

10/19/2018 9:44 am  #3

MikeR wrote:

One of my lasting memories at Ritter's is one early morning breakfast with several Duquesne drinking buddies. While lingering over coffee after eating and debating the fate of mankind, we unanimously reached the decision to order another round of breakfast. 

That right there is gold, Mike. Good job.

10/19/2018 10:32 am  #4

I also have fond memories of dining at Ritter's.  Having breakfast after the bars closed with DU friends and having our check picked up by the late, great Jules Ignelzi, one of the owners of the Van Braam Cafe, is at the top of the list.

10/19/2018 7:12 pm  #5

You guys will appreciate this, I grew up a block from Ritter's and when I was in HS in the 70's (Central Catholic) we would end up there late at night after kegs in Schenley Park and HS dances.  Now for you trivia buffs, even better was when I was even younger the original Ritter's Diner was right across the street and it was a small railroad car type of diner.  I remember my Dad taking us to a Steeler game and we went there first for breakfast.  It was standing room and a few booths, but it was a blast.  Sort of like my memories at the old Forbes Field at bat day when I was like 10 years old.  Some things should be cherished.

10/20/2018 10:03 am  #6

Pistol, what year did you graduate Central ?, as I graduated Central in 76 and Duquesne in 80.

10/20/2018 12:56 pm  #7

I grew up about a 5 minute walk from Ritter's diner , and also attended Central Catholic.

When I am down in Bloomfield visiting we occasionally go to dinner at Ritter's. 

I remember when it was the "Railroad car" type of diner across Baum Blvd. from where it is now located.

The saying used to be that they "Changed the oil the fries were cooked in once a month, whether it needed changed or not "

Peace out

10/20/2018 1:25 pm  #8

Wildwood I too graduated from Central in 76' and DU in 80'.  I am sure we know each other.  LOL

10/20/2018 11:23 pm  #9

I graduated from Central in '76 as well.  My undergrad was spent outside Pittsburgh & I attended Duquesne Law afterward.  I grew up about 5-6 blocks from Ritter's.  I remember the old rail car, too.

I ate at Ritter's a few times, not that often, & I figure the next-to-last time was around 1982 or so.  About 5 years ago, I had to get some bloodwork at Shadyside Hospital, which meant fasting, which I hate to do.  As soon as the bloodwork was done, I went across the street to Ritter's for some breakfast & was shocked to find that their prices didn't seem to have gone up in 30 years!  I had a big stack of pancakes, eggs, & coffee for something like $1.35.  I watched the waitress - an older lady - hustling like crazy & picking up 15- or 25-cent tips for her efforts.  I felt sorry for her & left a $5 tip.  The breakfast was worth it.  I go by there once in a blue moon & am glad to see the place is still thriving.

10/21/2018 4:30 am  #10

Add ME to the List -  Central class of 74 -  Duquesne class of 78 -  STILL live in Bloomfield - go to Ritter's maybe once per month (the Friday fish special)  --  If I'm going out with a Friend who is visiting -  Ritter's is an almost automatic choice.

Back in the day Hamburgers were 25 cents - the Coke was 10 cents 

10/21/2018 6:37 am  #11

Boy, you sumsabritches are OLD! I know that because I'm right there with you. I was graduated from DU in 1980 also, but I'm not from Pittsburgh. But you could probably tell that from my accent.

Board footera