Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2018 12:21 pm  #1

We're (expected to be) #1

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211776995

Preseason #1, two first-team all conference picks (Chassidy and Julijana), one second team pick (Kadri Ann), two all-defense picks (Kadri-Ann and Conor).=16px 

10/24/2018 7:03 am  #2

Re: We're (expected to be) #1

I'm sorry, but why in the heck isn't ANYONE commenting on this?

This is pretty good stuff, I don't care who you are.

10/24/2018 7:51 am  #3

Unfortunately, this was not the lead Duquesne story yesterday! But, it is an awesome validation for Dan Burt and the team. The Dukes are starting to separate from the rest of the league except for Dayton and GW. Having 4 starters recognized on league teams is pretty unusual. And, L. Sole and N. Aho will make their presence known. The Coop will only add to the women’s glow!

10/24/2018 10:59 am  #4

Passion is great, but allow me to throw in a little caution before the season begins.  YES; it's exciting and very well deserved for the Dukes to be picked #1 and the accolades for the seniors.  

There is no doubt that (offensively), Duquesne possesses multiple weapons and when the team is rolling, we should continue to see high scoring, especially from the perimeter. 

For the Dukes to finish at the top of the A-10 and/or secure an NCAA bid, lets hope a few (historical) weaknesses have been addressed:  1) More inside-out play and more balanced scoring from our posts.  I have seen far too many games where the team forgets post play (especially on the road), and either blows a large lead or gets into a hole they can't recover from.  2) Minimize penetration into the key from the opponent's guards.  With the exception of Conor, Duquesne is not a quick, athletic team, nor has been since the days of Vanessa Able and Jocelyn Floyd. You can't teach quickness, but defensive adjustments can be made (i.e. match-up zone, doubling up on the guards, etc.).  3) Kadri-Ann is an excellent defender, but Duquesne often gives up far too many offensive rebounds when they are on defense.  When the other team is big and athletic, the disadvantage is greater.  I hope the 2018-2019 version of the Dukes will show more rebounding by committee.  4) Lastly, Duquesne was sometimes labeled as 'soft' going to the basket.  I honestly don't know if 'going hard' to the basket can be taught.  What can be taught, however, is more passing inside the paint to a player who may be more open and less guarded.

If Duquesne can address at least two of these four issues (I would like to see more balanced scoring and less guard penetration), I will predict a first place finish. 

GO DUKES!

10/24/2018 1:49 pm  #5

As only a casual follower of the team, it appears that this is the year coach Burt has been pointing to - 4 very experienced senior starters who will take 75 % of the minutes and I would guess > 80 % of the f.g. attempts.

He has a favorable schedule and the post season tournament on his home court.

I would bet, if he was injected with truth serum, that he would say anything less than an NCAA tournament bid barring some unforeseen occurrence would be a disappointment.

Now all the team has to do is do it !!!

Let's Go Dukes !!!!!

Last edited by ghost (10/24/2018 1:50 pm)

10/24/2018 5:46 pm  #6

I don't think the goal is to get there this year. I think the goal is to make some damage.

10/25/2018 5:29 am  #7

Ghost:  Team opens with 6 of 7 on the road --  TCU, Texas on the road to start  St. Franny on the road can be a unique game - they try to play "race horse basketball"  try like 1 shot every 5-10 seconds - EVEN against UCONN - got them blown out (like everyone else) but can be a difficult game to prep for- Syracuse at a Neutral Site - Schedule is upgraded but Burt is one of those "Will play anyone --  any time --  any place --" types.  Even with the four seniors he does substitute literally -  But I do think THIS is the year he has been pointing to -  Had NO way the A-10 tournament would be played at Palumbo -  

Hopefully Ladies get it done!!!!

10/25/2018 9:43 am  #8

I agree with most of what you say. Look for the 4 keys to success (I posted) during those early road games.  How well the Dukes have adjusted from recent seasons should tell us a lot about what kind of team this is.

Board footera