Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2018 10:22 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - University of Illinois at Chicago Flames

Er...89-88

A diehard fan since 1961

11/12/2018 10:22 pm  #27

What a garbage show. They should have beat this team by 20.

11/12/2018 10:24 pm  #28

Incredible to end up winning that game. We won't face a team that lights out from beyond the arc many more times this year.

11/12/2018 10:25 pm  #29

In past years we would be 0-2 after these two games.

We're 2-0, maybe karma is changing.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/12/2018 10:25 pm  #30

Lamar Norman was a big factor in the come back and win. Go Dukes

11/12/2018 10:28 pm  #31

Egads! Please tell me there was one time in the past 25 years that the Dukes would have won that game. 

I thought Ferry was coaching again as we ran to give hi fives as a wide open man sank 3 pointer after 3 pointer, but the defense applied enough late pressure (just enough) to shut it down. Who would have figured that Lamar Norman would be on the court for the totality of overtime?

Nice to see Mike Lewis hit his 3 with a minute left and big man Sincere make the tying basket at 0:02.

Its good to have tests early in the season. As Professor Gregory said to me three days before my graduation, "I will give you a gentleman's C-minus."

11/12/2018 10:29 pm  #32

rosceaux wrote:

Egads! Please tell me there was one time in the past 25 years that the Dukes would have won that game. 

I thought Ferry was coaching again as we ran to give hi fives as a wide open man sank 3 pointer after 3 pointer, but the defense applied enough late pressure (just enough) to shut it down. Who would have figured that Lamar Norman would be on the court for the totality of overtime?

Nice to see Mike Lewis hit his 3 with a minute left and big man Sincere make the tying basket at 0:02.

Its good to have tests early in the season. As Professor Gregory said to me three days before my graduation, "I will give you a gentleman's C-minus."

Ritters is only pausing here before going back to urinating in people's favorite maize-flavored breakfast cereal made by Kellogs and telling little kids that there is no Santa Claus.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (11/13/2018 11:19 am)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/12/2018 10:34 pm  #33

Simms wrote:

Awful.  Just awful.

I am an emotional and sometimes terrible fan.  Please don't judge me.  I didn't sit the entire game and even scared my two beagles.  Ritters, I'm glad you showed up to bring some much-needed positivity to the board!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/12/2018 10:36 pm  #34

Wow. Speechless. Amazing.

11/12/2018 10:54 pm  #35

Carry needs the bigs to pay attention to his passing.   ALWAYS be expecting it.  Carry has great vision and played better that any freshman point guard I've ever seen.  No weaknesses.

Last edited by coffee (11/12/2018 11:01 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

11/12/2018 10:56 pm  #36

Good teams find a way to win games. Sincere Carey is unbelievable. Williams and Lewis showed up at the most important point in the game. Another freshman steps up in Norman Jr. and knocks down 3 huge 3s after sitting the entire first game. Wore down a thin team and got the important guys to foul out. Played great d down the stretch and benefittes from some huge UIC mistakes down the stretch. Missed free throws, the throw out of bounds, the layup with time expiring in OT.

We did not lead the game for one second of regulation and got the W. What a crazy game!

2-0 baby.

11/12/2018 10:56 pm  #37

Gotta Be there to Believe it!!!!!!!!!!!

11/12/2018 11:01 pm  #38

SkepticAl wrote:

Gotta Be there to Believe it!!!!!!!!!!!

I admit I just about gave up any hope a couple times but the triple overtime win last year kept faith in any team coached by KD.

I would have turned the radio off a couple years back.

They never gave up!

Last edited by coffee (11/13/2018 3:25 am)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

11/12/2018 11:03 pm  #39

That was fun, huh?    I think we got ourselves a PG.

11/12/2018 11:11 pm  #40

C'mon ESPN3, put up the damn replay already

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/12/2018 11:14 pm  #41

Wow, another Maalox moment.  But, I think this game showed the strength and versatility of Duquesne's team.  W&M and UIC played very differently.  Our big men were much more suited against a team like W&M.  Tonight we needed speed and at the end it was Carry, Williams, Norman, Lewis and Weathers on the floor.

It is amazing that we have two players of high caliber - Williams and Carry who received no consideration from D1 level teams.  Who on the coaching staff is finding these guys? 

I listened to Carry on the post-game.  He seems like a really humble person.  Physically, though, he looks like the oldest freshman in the country.  He looks like he played in the NBA for 10 years.  If he keeps it up, they will be talking about him as one of the best point guards in the A10.  Does anyone have any insight into how, after leading his school to the Ohio State Championship, he didn't get any D1 offers from a state that includes Ohio State, Xavier, Cincinnati, and Dayton?   

11/12/2018 11:16 pm  #42

I have to think the kid from UIC either lost track of the score or the clock.
The layup at the end of OT made no sense.
Don't understand why Lewis sat for so long
Had my coat on with 3 minutes left. Glad I stayed.Really glad!

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

11/12/2018 11:17 pm  #43

indygjm wrote:

Wow, another Maalox moment.  But, I think this game showed the strength and versatility of Duquesne's team.  W&M and UIC played very differently.  Our big men were much more suited against a team like W&M.  Tonight we needed speed and at the end it was Carry, Williams, Norman, Lewis and Weathers on the floor.

It is amazing that we have two players of high caliber - Williams and Carry who received no consideration from D1 level teams.  Who on the coaching staff is finding these guys? 

I listened to Carry on the post-game.  He seems like a really humble person.  Physically, though, he looks like the oldest freshman in the country.  He looks like he played in the NBA for 10 years.  If he keeps it up, they will be talking about him as one of the best point guards in the A10.  Does anyone have any insight into how, after leading his school to the Ohio State Championship, he didn't get any D1 offers from a state that includes Ohio State, Xavier, Cincinnati, and Dayton?   

Read the posts on his recruitment above.

11/12/2018 11:18 pm  #44

Great question... he had some injuries but in the long run, he's stronger from the time spent in the weight room.  Here's to the beginning a a great career here!

Sincerely!

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

11/12/2018 11:19 pm  #45

indygjm wrote:

It makes absolutely no sense to me.  Even when I saw his recruitment videos I thought he looked so physically imposing with such a strong handle.  How all of those coaches could miss on him is beyond me.  At the very least, smaller schools like Wright State or something should have offered him! 

I'm not complaining though!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/12/2018 11:24 pm  #46

I wasn't expecting a Horizon team to be that much faster and quicker than the Dukes, but depth won out in this one. UIC only went 8 deep, Keith rotated 12 different players in. That and Keith finally finding the right lineup to put out there. Carry was amazing, but what a revelation Lamar Norman was down the stretch. I think Keith's still figuring out what he has to work with. Did TDM look better than this Saturday? 

11/12/2018 11:26 pm  #47

SC is playing like a stud fifth year senior, wow is all I can say.  What a steal of a recruit.  Lamar got some action and he was indeed a huge boost.  Lamar needs to start getting some of Dunn Martin's minutes - especially if DM is shooting 0-8.  I like SC and Wade at point and whoever is playing D and is shooting well, and tonight that was Lamar, should get the most time at the two.  ML needs to contribute more and I hope he does.  Maybe the big 3 will give him some mojo back, but he needs to play D.  Lamar made at least 3 really good  defensive plays when he was in there.  KD will start to figure out the rotation.

11/12/2018 11:27 pm  #48

That was weird,I feel like we played poorly and it was dissappointing but Dukes won.Norman was the only player besides Carry who played well.Carry was a one man team and it is so difficult to play that well throughout a game when your teammates are stinking up the joint.

11/12/2018 11:36 pm  #49

The nice thing about having 12 talented guys in the rotation is that you can count on at least two or three of them to play well each game. It will allow KD to ride the hot hand(s). There are just so many options.

11/12/2018 11:43 pm  #50

Wow! Another wild night and comeback at Palumbo during the Keith Dambrot era. At one point UIC had an 80% Offensive Rebounding % in addition to scorching the Dukes from three. They had some athletes and were getting in the lane pretty easily. Fortunately the threes started falling and the turnovers for UIC started to pile up while the Dukes kept them off the glass as well.

​I think KD is still trying to find what works and what matchups to play. The small ball lineup ended up working tonight. Good to see newcomers get their first action and especially Lamar Norman's big threes.

Does anyone else see a resemblance to Jack Gibbs from Davidson when they see Carry out there? Its early still and it would be a lot to expect of a freshman that has only played two NCAA games to have a career like Gibbs had for Davidson but he's shown the body frame, handle and hesitation moves to make plays in traffic for himself or others. Here's hoping for more success to come.

Board footera