Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2018 1:24 pm  #1

Dukes play at Towson next Saturday in NCAAs

Dukes play at Towson next Saturday at 2:00 in NCAAs.

Towson went 7-4 in the CAA and ranked 148 in the RPI. 

This is definitely a winnable game!  Announers are mentioning Duquesne as "playing for something bigger than themselves"... what does that mean?-  They handed Hawaii a game but its forgotten. The Dukes need to win and prove something.

Last edited by coffee (11/19/2018 8:33 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

11/18/2018 1:41 pm  #2

Re: Dukes play at Towson next Saturday in NCAAs

coffee wrote:

This is definitely a winnable game!  Announers are mentioning Duquesne as "playing for something bigger than themselves"... what does that even mean?-  They handed Hawaii a game but its forgotten. The Dukes need to win and prove something.

coffee, remember Marquis Brown?

11/18/2018 1:45 pm  #3

coffee wrote:

This is definitely a winnable game!  Announers are mentioning Duquesne as "playing for something bigger than themselves"... what does that even mean?-  They handed Hawaii a game but its forgotten. The Dukes need to win and prove something.

In addition to the post above, could also mean the Dukes are playing to giving the NEC legitimate standing by winning a playoff game, especially on the road

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/18/2018 2:09 pm  #4

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

coffee wrote:

coffee, remember Marquis Brown?

Thanks for the explanation Phoenix Rising and Yak... I can be a bit dense sometimes.  I took it to mean that they were in over their heads.   They actually are playing for something bigger than themselves.

Last edited by coffee (11/18/2018 2:11 pm)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

11/18/2018 7:02 pm  #5

I really hope the Dukes pull off the upset...would love to welcome them back to Brookings again. Good luck and Go Dukes!

11/18/2018 7:39 pm  #6

Towson got some of my money (my daughter spent a semester there).

Go get 'em Dukes.

Jacked, good to see you back. 

11/18/2018 8:13 pm  #7

You can’t be cereal, Coffee. You neglect to mention that while we’re ranked 148 in the RPI, that that includes FBS teams as well. In terms of FCS schools, you left out we’re ranked 18th & Duquesne is ranked 52nd. You also conveniently glossed over the fact that out of a total of 255 FBS & FCS teams, Duquesne’s Strength of Schedule is...wait for it...246. I dare say if Duquesne played in the CAA, that at most you’d have 1 W (Albany) and even that’s debatable.

Last edited by Tigerfan13 (11/18/2018 8:14 pm)

11/18/2018 9:39 pm  #8

It's winnable, but only a little. The Dukes haven't had to contain a talented QB like Flacco. JMU's roadmap was to shut him down and it worked, but there's a big different between those Dukes and these Dukes. I think it's possible. I'm just glad to have the "good" side of the share this time.

Last edited by Face (11/18/2018 9:39 pm)

11/18/2018 9:41 pm  #9

Tigerfan13 wrote:

You can’t be cereal, Coffee. You neglect to mention that while we’re ranked 148 in the RPI, that that includes FBS teams as well. In terms of FCS schools, you left out we’re ranked 18th & Duquesne is ranked 52nd. You also conveniently glossed over the fact that out of a total of 255 FBS & FCS teams, Duquesne’s Strength of Schedule is...wait for it...246. I dare say if Duquesne played in the CAA, that at most you’d have 1 W (Albany) and even that’s debatable.

Tigerfan-  Welcome to our board.  We can both agree on one thing... I can't be cereal. 

You don't have to explain that the RPI includes FBS schools as well-  We played two of them this year and gave Hawaii a pretty good game at Aloha Stadium so I'm wondering about the SOS bit there.  We only lost 1 FCS game this year by a point after a major team tragedy.  Our RPI is 178 which is above a few of CAA schools in addition to Albany and close to others

We came within a couple of points of upsetting a CAA school on their turf the last time we visited the NCAA Playoffs so I believe that the Dukes aren't fearful. I didn't say that the Dukes would be favored- only that the game is winnable particularly if your team is as cocky and classless as you are.

Hawaii's fans and announcers showed quite a bit of respect for the Dukes and were not loud vain or boastfully arrogant as are some who I'd enjoy seeing end their season after the next game.

Last edited by coffee (11/19/2018 8:27 pm)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

11/18/2018 9:51 pm  #10

As a wise man once said, “it aint bragging if you can do it.” TU can & will do it next Saturday.

11/18/2018 9:57 pm  #11

Tigerfan13 wrote:

As a wise man once said, “it aint bragging if you can do it.” TU can & will do it next Saturday.

I think you f'd up the quote a bit-  Try this one:

“Who knows himself a braggart, let him fear this, for it will come to pass that every braggart shall be found an ass.”
William Shakespeare

I'd prefer to win or lose with some class and avoid being found an a$$.

Last edited by coffee (11/18/2018 9:59 pm)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

11/18/2018 10:09 pm  #12

I prefer Dizzy Dean over Shakespeare, but that’s just me. You obviously have thin skin...so be it. The game will be played between the lines on the field. Duquesne will be there, so they have a chance to win. If I were a betting man (which I’m not) I’d bet on TU.  By any objective measure, the odds are on my side. But hey, stranger things have happened. Good luck.

11/19/2018 10:21 am  #13

Tigerfan13 wrote:

I prefer Dizzy Dean over Shakespeare, but that’s just me. You obviously have thin skin...so be it. The game will be played between the lines on the field. Duquesne will be there, so they have a chance to win. If I were a betting man (which I’m not) I’d bet on TU.  By any objective measure, the odds are on my side. But hey, stranger things have happened. Good luck.

To be fair, you’re the one who came here and kicked at the nest. Not that you aren’t welcome but at least characterize what he said instead of what you read into it.

Regardless,’the Dukes have given CAA teams a good game before but haven’t had to go up against a quality QB too often this year in games we thought were winnable (excluding the FBS opponents, in other words). NEC tends to be a run-heavy league.

Also hard to take a lot from the JMU game given how dominant they have been lately. Just because they contained Flacco doesn’t mean anyone else will.

I’m just happy to dance. I think we are all pretty cognizant of where the program is and that’s fine for now. I’d like to see a step forward long-haul but the investment in facilities and scholarships has to be worthwhile for the university and I’m not sure how that determination is made in a primarily pro town where even the FBS school can’t draw much of a crowd when winning their division.

11/19/2018 11:53 am  #14

I don't think Coffee is thin-skinned Tiger fan. But I might be if you get obnoxious, because you're a guest here, and I'm a board monitor. 

11/19/2018 12:04 pm  #15

Thanks E.D.  I think we're good.  Just a couple passionate football fans reaching an understanding. 

I'll stick with my original comment that even though we are not favored, the game is winnable... Even Tiger Fan eventually conseeded that.

Good luck to both teams and hope the Dukes play on!

Go Dukes!

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

11/19/2018 12:06 pm  #16

Tigerfan13 wrote:

Your points may be true Tigerfan, but we can hope and pray for an upset!  I think most of us realize that Towson plays in the upper echelon of FCS and Duquesne, well, does not!  We did "play up" against UMASS(bad result), and Hawaii, (better result) but not a win, so the team has experience playing against better competition.  I recall seeing Towson play on TV in the playoffs a few years back and was very impressed, especially with their offense.  I wonder if the coach has moved on, or is he still at Towson?  I expected that he would be a candidate for a bigger job. 
My only other experience with TOWSON is many years ago, at OC Maryland for a week and having the pleasure of having a group of very impressive Towson St, ladies sitting next to us on the beach all week.  I nicknamed them the Towson State Seduction Team!  It certainly brightened up our week at the beach! 
Good to hear from the other side!

11/19/2018 2:29 pm  #17

Levon, I feel compelled to address a very important point in your post...coeds. While I have never been on your campus, I can say, with little chance of being contradicted, that Towson is very strong in the coed category.

Now, on the far more trivial matter of Saturday’s game, TU lost in 2014 to a NEC team (CCSU) & barely beat St. Francis last year, so we better not take Duquesne for granted, or we’ll wind up being 1 & done.  Additionally, our D is susceptible to giving up chunk yardage plays. As for our O, it’s all about Flacco. He’s had a helluva season (28 TD passes & our leading rusher). He’s Houdini-like on occasions, escaping pressure. He did throw 10-11 INT’s, so he will turn the ball over occasionally. We also have a good corp of receivers & an underrated (in my opinion) RB named Simpson.

Anyway, come on down Saturday & watch for yourselves. Seeing as it’s going to be Turkey 🦃 day weekend, I think we’ll have plenty of good seats available.

11/19/2018 7:13 pm  #18

Tiger Fan-  Nice rundown of Towson's team... much appreciated!
I was just looking at your stadium's web site.  Looks like a great place compared to ours. 

It's only about a 5 hour drive.

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

11/19/2018 7:47 pm  #19

TigerFan welcome and appreciate the insights on Flacco and your team. Also good to hear from Jackedforlife again! 2 passionate fans as we are here! I will again travel with my patient and understanding wife to Towson haha and  I know Towson is an  extremely tough game! Also know The Jack Rabbits are top 5 FCS team capable of beating more than a few FBS teams!

11/19/2018 9:03 pm  #20

The irony of a Pittsburgh team playing a Baltimore team (with Flacco at QB) is not lost on us.

11/19/2018 9:24 pm  #21

Haha at Johnny Unitas Stadium too!

11/21/2018 4:15 pm  #22

I’ve been waiting for someone to comment on the whole Pittsburgh-Baltimore angle. I’m not a huge NFL guy, but damn, when is Big Ben gonna retire? Dude is HOF 1st ballot. We’ll be glad to see him go. I think it would also be great theater if Bell signed with the Ravens next year.

And the Johnny U stadium name. Another Pittsburgh-Baltimore tie in. Johnny U was before my time, but a legend no doubt. Gotta say though, I’m not thrilled our stadium is named for a guy who didn’t play at Towson. I’m biased (obviously) but Johnny U stadium is a really nice venue to watch an FCS game at.

So, your Dukes have definitely gotten our attention. Sounds like your O-Line is about as big as ours, and we know you’ve got some skill players with gaudy numbers. Sounds like it could be a shootout. We also noticed you guys have a good number of FBS transfers.  Can’t wait until Saturday to see how it all translates on the field.

Last edited by Tigerfan13 (11/21/2018 4:16 pm)

11/21/2018 10:48 pm  #23

Wherever Bell signs next year, I expect fans to whine when his production drops a bit. With the Steelers he has a HOF QB, possibly the best OL in the NFL, and Antonio Brown occupying half of the DBs. Without them, and with a year out of football, there will likely be some drop off.

This is neither sour grapes nor hating on Bell and his new team. I wish him all the best.

11/24/2018 9:33 am  #24

Towson is favored by 15 - opening line. Let’s hope that the Dukes pull an upset.

Board footera