Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2018 4:48 pm  #1

vs Toledo

Tough one today. I liked the bench performance though.

Have to expect that it's more about Omogrosso having trouble finding a rhythm than anything else. Toledo kept composure even when DU threatened.

The end of that third quarter was just a killer.12-3 run after the Dukes tie it just hurts bad.

11/18/2018 4:58 pm  #2

Re: vs Toledo

Not sure how this team was picked to win the A-10 unless the A-10 is particularly weak this year. 

11/18/2018 5:30 pm  #3

A little worried by what I’ve seen so far from this team. Even the win against the mount was shaky.

11/18/2018 7:30 pm  #4

I have confidence in this team. Bad loss today, yes. But too much talent to stay down.

Steelers started 1-2-1.

11/19/2018 11:49 am  #5

Well, I cannot say I'm surprised at the record at this point, considering the quality of the opposition and the fact that three of four were on the road.  The schedule may"toughen them up", but certainly is not conducive to building an impressive W-L record.  I don't think anyone expected wins at either TCU or Texas.  I think we may have hoped for more competitive games in both, but I've already posted regarding the huge gap between mid-majors and Power-Five teams in NCAA women's basketball.  I've heard they had a huge lead early on MSM's but frittered it away.  That, unfortunately has been a recurring theme with this team even with all the winning in recent years.  Perhaps it's due to the reliance on the 3-point shot for the bulk of the scoring; but I detect a trend in failing to finish off teams. 
Toledo of course is another matter.  I expected this to be about a 30% chance of pulling off a road win.  Anyone who saw the game last year at Palumbo may recall that Toledo was a very good team, and the Dukes were hard-pressed to win the game at home.  I'm sure Toledo circled this game as one that they were not going to let slip away this year; and when the Dukes made a run at them, they were able to fend off the challenge and pull away.  They are a quality team and program.
With that said, I'm more concerned about the fact that the team hasn't seemed "hit the ground" running in an efficient manner as we might have expected with so many returning players.  I couldn't make it to the one home game; so I can't even guess what is missing so far; but I'm confident that the coaches and veteran players will be able to get the ship on the right course very soon.  The goal should still be to win the A10 title and there is no reason that this can't happen. 
GO DUKES!

11/19/2018 5:59 pm  #6

Levon:  As they used to say on Hollywood Squares I Disagree -  I DO HOPE the staff and players can "right the ship"  The game was probably the worst Chassidy has played in her four years -  (don't know whether it was bad luck - she did try driving to the hoop a few times to draw some fouls) but her only basket was a fast break layup -  Can't figure out what is wrong with Julianna - from All League Candidate to very limited time -  Need SOMEONE to start hitting things so the inside opens up -  Toledo was 1-1 going into the game - they smashed Iona - but also lost quite badly to Maine --  I would hope the DU ladies can handle a team that couldn't handle Maine -  PERIOD!!!  Next up the Red Flash - they won their conference last year - got UConn in the NCAA - played their "race horse style" and got outscored something like 60-10 in the second half -  Although OFFENSE seems to be the problem - here's hoping the two best DEFENSIVE players the team has (Connor and Enika) are back - and that the one week in between games is a cure for all that ails them.

LETS GO LADIES!!!!

11/20/2018 11:52 am  #7

Not sure what happened with Julijana either; but I noticed she wasn't starting, which is strange.  Perhaps there was as message that Dan wanted to get across to certain players playing on both ends of the court; or something along those lines. I do know that the schedule is going to be pretty challenging, so they need to get things turned around before the season becomes a disaster.   

11/21/2018 8:21 pm  #8

I see the problem from a different perspective.  The Dukes were not athletic and quick enough to handle TCU and certainly Texas.  They also played 'small', meaning that our posts did not utilize their reasonable size to box out and board with the more aggressive Texas teams.

But the home game (against an inferior opponent) and the Toledo game were another matter.  With all the experience Duquesne has, I did not see the team confident and locked-in to play at the level they are capable of.  They are not spacing well on the court.  They don't seem to have that aggressively smart collective attitude of putting their opponent away.  When Duquesne made their comeback against Toledo and trailed by only 2 points, they should have put the hammer down and discouraged the Rockets.  Instead, their offense was hesitant- and that's why you saw so many missed shots.  Confident teams make a higher percentage of shots than teams who lack confidence.

The encouraging news is, the season is still young and last season, the Dukes did not look very good in their first 4-5 games.  There is certainly enough time to turn things around, but (my opinion) it has to start with attitude.

11/22/2018 1:04 am  #9

For what it is worth - game was at Dayton last night THEIR ladies beat Toledo 70-49.

Hope it's not a case of "Senior-Itis" and I realize 4 games is a very small sample - but Chassidy. Juliana, Kadri Ann and Connor (in the two games she played) have all shot the ball very poorly. 

11/22/2018 1:07 am  #10

Hornqvist of the Pens recently had a quote about THEIR slump "All it will take is one good shift etc. against Ottawa and this will all be behind us"  Hopefully one good game (against St. Franny) and this will all be behind the ladies.

Happy Thanksgiving to the Coaches, Players and their fans

11/23/2018 10:36 am  #11

Hope they can get it together in time for league play. They have no chance at an at large bid, so the league is everything.

Board footera