Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/28/2018 9:05 pm  #1

Nice Win at Kent St.

Always good to win on the road.  Great to see the guards, Chassidy and Julijana, get rolling together - 24 and 22 points respectively.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (11/29/2018 7:53 am)

11/28/2018 10:19 pm  #2

Re: Nice Win at Kent St.

Does any one know why Nina wasn't even on the bench?  Hopefully something like the flu and not a serious injury -  Seven Days at 3-3 is a HECK of a lot better than 7 days at 2-4!!

11/28/2018 11:46 pm  #3

Yes, couldn’t follow this one, but well done and exactly what was needed going into an important stretch of the nonconference schedule.

Last edited by Face (11/28/2018 11:46 pm)

11/29/2018 6:34 am  #4

I think we start rolling downhill from here.

11/29/2018 8:31 am  #5

A really good win on the road. Chassidy starting to assert herself after being a bit tentative (for her) on Offense. Amanda Kalin gave the team a lift with her defense and driving ability. Juca V is valuable when she scores. Halle Bovell gave the team a real lift with her athleticism down the stretch. At winning time, the Dukes had a very small team on the floor to combat the speed of Kent. At 6’, Paige Cannon was the tallest player on the floor. The defense is a concern. We looked very slow at times and were beaten down the floor often. We gave up a lot of drives and open threes. However, some good steals and rebounding secured the win. A road win against a team that had won three in a row is a good thing. Hopefully, Connor and Nina return soon. We need their ability and athleticism.

Last edited by HookShot (11/29/2018 8:33 am)

11/29/2018 11:04 am  #6

SkepticAl wrote:

Does any one know why Nina wasn't even on the bench?  Hopefully something like the flu and not a serious injury -  Seven Days at 3-3 is a HECK of a lot better than 7 days at 2-4!!

She was hospitalized a couple days ago. Don't know why, don't know how serious, only saw because I follow the players on social media.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/29/2018 12:32 pm  #7

Yes, nice to get any win on the road, but an old (dangerous) trend is back.

Unless my math  is wrong, the Duquesne front line (Cannon, Sole and Lass) made a combined 11 shot attempts while the guards made 39.

One can make the argument that Kent State fielded a short, quick team and Duquesne tried to match them, but when you have superior size, as Duquesne did, you need to make your smaller opponent pay for it.  Think back to the TCU and Texas games.  Those teams took the ball into the paint time and time again, and the Dukes got killed inside.

You may disagree, but history doesn't lie.  The only time when Duquesne went to the NCAA they had Kadi-Ann and Amadea as a potent one-two punch inside with April and a strong supporting cast providing points on the outside. Duquesne will not go to the big dance unless they shift gears and make a concerted attempt to develop a stronger inside game.  Lass and Sole are capable of doing it.

11/29/2018 3:56 pm  #8

I didn't see the game, but looking at the box score and stats, it looks like the Dukes struggled with turnovers against Kent.  Were they playing a lot of pressure defense, or were they mainly unforced errors?  Kent did score quite a few points off turnovers so it would seem that there were some "live ball " turnovers.  Did anyone see the game online that could comment?

11/29/2018 5:06 pm  #9

ElDuque wrote:

I think we start rolling downhill from here.

Hope so, but the schedule still has some very big challenges: @Penn State next followed by home against UCF and ETSU (a loss last year on the road but looks like they haven't won yet this season), then the St Petersburg FL  Tournament to meet top #12 Syracuse (very good) and Liberty (not too good).  I know PSU hasn't been as good as in the past, but they will most likely present challenges with physicality like most P-5 teams.  UCF has beaten Villanova, Pitt, and destroyed Richmond, Mercer, and Stetson, but lost at Central Michigan.  So they won't be a pushover, and I'm sure will come here expecting to win.  So there might be a few bumps in that downhill roll!  The key is that the team has to keep improving and hopefully will have everyone healthy very soon.

11/29/2018 8:34 pm  #10

Levon:  A LOT of the turnovers were for things like Illegal Screens and Offensive Fouls(charging calls) --  I'm pretty sure the Bench Technical was after Coach Burt ERUPTED on what I think was a Charge on Chassidy - she got a steal took like two steps -  looked like someone from Kent State BUMPED HER and SHE got whistled for a charge.

11/30/2018 7:56 am  #11

Thanks for the info Al.  That explains the high turnover numbers.

11/30/2018 8:16 am  #12

Crazy officiating. Offensive players at a disadvantage the whole game. Kent State coach worked the refs.

12/01/2018 10:17 am  #13

Sperlman:   While your numbers about the shots may be correct -  A few points (or at least as they may relate to this game)  "Shots" from Kadri Ann and Paige are just as likely to be mid-range jumpers/three point attempts as they are from inside the post and around the basket - it's just the game they play (and THAT would apply to Amadea in the tournament season) -  DU could use  a player like Workman but then so does just about every one else) Laia's playing time was limited -  I hardly recall seeing her in the second half..  In THIS game a LOT of Chassidy's attempts were layups and that short floating jump shot she has (as her threes were not falling)  First Half Julianna was really on fire - made sense to keep feeding her - once she cooled did NOT try a larger share of shots or force things.  

At one point they showed the season stats for the teams prior to the game DU was 25% from 3 point range that HAS to improve.

Board footera