Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2013 7:13 am  #26

Re: Kadeem to play soccer

Scotchngars wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

Not the end of the world but seems he was left on his own to find his way.

This isn't true.

I was on campus Thursday grabbed a copy of the duke newspaper. Article on Kadeem playing soccer. He say's he did not want to play soccer wanted to continue to play basketball, but coach Ferry would not renew my scholarship.He went on to say Coach Ferry made it very clear that he did not want me on the team any more, along with other players.

Kadeem approached the soccer coach on his own and asked if he could try out, the coach put him through some drills, and liked what he saw, and he made the team. Does not mention scholarship in the article.

How do you like your crow Steve?

You're making the presumption that the scholarship issue is resolved and that no one at Duquesne is helping him to keep some or all of the aid he's receiving. No crow for me to eat.

4/12/2013 7:22 am  #27

Actually what Scotch wrote was "he was left on his own to find his way." What Kadeem said was that he wanted to stay at Duquesne so he (Pantophlet) approached the soccer coach. If you read what the coach said, there were no guarantees that he would make the team. In fact, to paraphrase the coach, he said that something happened to work out - I'm presuming he meant in terms of a roster spot being opened - and the coach liked what he saw in the tryout. There was a report of signings for next season, but no mention there or in the Duke article of Pantophlet being given a soccer scholarship. Or any mention of how his tuition would be paid going forward.

But again, that wasn't the point of the statement. The point was Ferry delivered the Michael Kay line ("See ya") and Pantophlet took the soccer route on his own.

4/12/2013 7:29 am  #28

ElDuque wrote:

Actually what Scotch wrote was "he was left on his own to find his way." What Kadeem said was that he wanted to stay at Duquesne so he (Pantophlet) approached the soccer coach. If you read what the coach said, there were no guarantees that he would make the team. In fact, to paraphrase the coach, he said that something happened to work out - I'm presuming he meant in terms of a roster spot being opened - and the coach liked what he saw in the tryout. There was a report of signings for next season, but no mention there or in the Duke article of Pantophlet being given a soccer scholarship. Or any mention of how his tuition would be paid going forward.

But again, that wasn't the point of the statement. The point was Ferry delivered the Michael Kay line ("See ya") and Pantophlet took the soccer route on his own.

Yeah but "the way" involves money and figuring out how to fill the void left by the absence of basketball money. Without that, it doesn't work. He had/ is getting help from the university there.

Last edited by steve19981 (4/12/2013 7:32 am)

4/12/2013 7:33 am  #29

Steve, you really can't say this unless you know the kid's family's finances, and even if they can't afford to send their kid here on their own means, there are other avenues (loans, etc.).

4/12/2013 8:00 am  #30

ElDuque wrote:

Steve, you really can't say this unless you know the kid's family's finances, and even if they can't afford to send their kid here on their own means, there are other avenues (loans, etc.).

I can't say that he's getting help from the university to fill the financial gap if I don't know the families finances?

Last edited by steve19981 (4/12/2013 8:01 am)

4/12/2013 8:39 am  #31

“Coach [Ferry] was very clear that he didn’t want me on the team anymore, as well as other players,” Pantophlet said. 
OKAY, not a bleeding heart here, but do many coaches do this, or not and we just don't hear about it?
Sounds kind of harsh.

4/12/2013 8:42 am  #32

As usual, I'm missing the big picture.  Ferry was given a big contract to turn the program around (probable time-4 years).  The first year was a disaster, but the few bright spots were his freshman recruits.  He played most of the holdovers enough to evaluate them, with Kadeem getting quite a few minutes as holdovers go.  Defensively, in my eyes Kadeem was OK, offensively not very good.  If after a season, Ferry believes he can't win going forward with a guy who played serious minutes, what does he do?  Ferry is a quarter of the way into his contract and is going to be RE 2.0 the way things are going.  For his present job and career future, he has got to pull the trigger.  College basketball is a big business, and good guys go under the bus all the time.  I met RE a few times, and I REALLY liked him.  But the program was going downhill for whatever reason.  Short of cheating and being a basketball factory, the coach has to be given a wide area to operate.  Yes, the coach doesn't shoot free throws, rebound, etc., but he will be the one getting fired because someone else can't.  Duquesne has had a lot of fine men as coaches in the past ,but look at the record.  The few that had some success were the ones I thought were kinda "shady", but that's the name of the game.  Right now it's Ferry's program, and he has to do what he has to do, fans and administration be dammed.  It's his butt hanging out there, so he needs to protect it any way he can (within the rules), and three years from now, the judgement comes.

4/12/2013 9:15 am  #33

I have no problem with Ferry freeing scholarships by moving kids out who do not fit.  The "how" is another thing all together.  But to me the bottom line is winning.  I am going to judge Ferry by his W/L Record.  With 11 or 12 of his own guys on the roster he has to have a winning season next year or he is not the next level coach he was touted to be.  Another season like this one then Amodio should be fired. So I have to wonder if Amodio is behind this carnige, and how things are going between him and Ferry.

4/12/2013 11:50 am  #34

steve19981 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I can't say that he's getting help from the university to fill the financial gap if I don't know the families finances?

Maybe I didn't understand what you said ... "Without that, it doesn't work." I took that to mean that without the scholarship he wouldn't be here. That's why I responded the way I did.

4/12/2013 2:28 pm  #35

Just curious as to what the rules are governing athletic scholarships and the revoking of same by the coach.

4/12/2013 4:36 pm  #36

CLK wrote:

I have no problem with Ferry freeing scholarships by moving kids out who do not fit.  The "how" is another thing all together.  But to me the bottom line is winning.  I am going to judge Ferry by his W/L Record.  With 11 or 12 of his own guys on the roster he has to have a winning season next year or he is not the next level coach he was touted to be.  Another season like this one then Amodio should be fired. So I have to wonder if Amodio is behind this carnige, and how things are going between him and Ferry.

so as i see it ,,all you care is about winning,,,obviously you have no kids who ball

4/12/2013 4:39 pm  #37

We finished 1-15 in the A-10.

Clearly, there needed to be some changes. I wasn't expecting such an overhaul, though.

Board footera