Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2019 6:50 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Saint Joseph's Hawks

Marcus had a huge game. I was in wait and see mode until today. Scored in the paint, defended well, and moved the ball on offense. His two quick threes in the second half were massive.

Frankie Hughes played really well too.

That Charlie Brown is the real deal. The NBA prospect stuff I heard is absolutely warranted.

Last edited by Duques102 (1/12/2019 6:51 pm)

1/12/2019 7:13 pm  #27

One comment.  I read last week that KD liked low scoring games and we did not have any shooters.  85 points...45% on 29 3pt shots.  Accident??  I think these kids are transfers and freshman....they will struggle all year.  Some will have good games and some will have bad games. But if they learn to win....the they are doing a good job. Most deficiencies are resolved in the off-season.  There is only one game where they laid an egg and did not compete well.  The others they may not have played well...but they found a way to win.  The development and education continues...

1/12/2019 7:32 pm  #28

Great college basketball game, especially since the Dukes won.  The Dukes had 6 players n double figures.  To me the game ball goes to TDM.  He made 5 three pointers and was the spark for the Dukes.  I am really happy for him.  Hope he keeps it going.  Go Dukes, keep rolling.

1/12/2019 7:36 pm  #29

Worth noting this was probably the biggest crowd of the year, students and in general. Great game, great win, and great atmosphere. Let’s keep it rolling!

1/12/2019 7:42 pm  #30

Keith Dambrot on Duquesne fans:

“When there’s a lot of people in the stands, relatively speaking, you can really be thankful & play for the fans & play for the uniform & play for the school… That fan base helped us win the game tonight, in my opinion. They were very loud"

https://twitter.com/sarah_k_spence/status/1084247539086438401

1/12/2019 7:47 pm  #31

Great atmosphere!  I thought the PA announcer did a great job getting the fans excited.  Has he asked the crowd to get rowdy in the past?  I loved it!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/12/2019 7:48 pm  #32

Much respect to the St. Joe's kids and coaches.
It was obvious several of players on the floor at the time of the injury were visibly upset.
They regrouped and played their butts off.
Good job by Coach Dambrot going over to the St. Joe's bench.
Only 3 fouls called on the Hawks in the first half? .....Ridiculous.
Gritty game and win.
Hit fouls shots when they had to but it is still an issue.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

1/12/2019 7:54 pm  #33

CLK wrote:

Great college basketball game, especially since the Dukes won.  The Dukes had 6 players n double figures.  To me the game ball goes to TDM.  He made 5 three pointers and was the spark for the Dukes.  I am really happy for him.  Hope he keeps it going.  Go Dukes, keep rolling.

Awesome to see TDM hit some shots. Maybe this was his breakout shooting game.  5 assists with no turnovers!

1/12/2019 7:57 pm  #34

Great game for the fans!  The crowd was into it, there were a few more folks than usual and most importantly we won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/12/2019 8:04 pm  #35

It was obvious from the broadcast how engaged the crowd was right from the beginning, and they stuck with the team - especially down the stretch where it really counted.

1/12/2019 8:06 pm  #36

We got no calls in the first and because of that, every foul call was greeted with a standing ovation, it was hilarious. Gotta get these fans back out here because it’s a savvy basketball crowd!

1/12/2019 8:48 pm  #37

As someone living outside the area, I've been following this team through broadcasts. It looked like the arena was still only half full, but the crowd was notably louder than any game this season. The sarcastic applause when we finally got a call in the second half was great, as was an audible airball chant on an ugly St. Joe's three pointer. It hit an apex just as the broadcast was going to commercial after one of Martin's threes and I hated to see the broadcast cut away. This was a big comeback win over a good team, even if they haven't been playing well, and for once the crowd was a big part of it. ESPN+ cut out pretty quickly, so I didn't see if Dambrot sent the players over to the fans as he has been most of this year, but I sure hope so. This is the kind of crowds and wins we need more often as the program continues to develop.

Last edited by luckymcd (1/12/2019 8:49 pm)

1/12/2019 8:59 pm  #38

Engaged fans at Palumbo provided an assistance in the win. 

It would be nice to have at least a neutral-court treatment from the officials, but it usually seems like the Dukes are playing in somebody else's snake pit when they are on their home court.  

1/12/2019 9:07 pm  #39

Ghost of Walter White wrote:

Much respect to the St. Joe's kids and coaches.
It was obvious several of players on the floor at the time of the injury were visibly upset.
They regrouped and played their butts off.
Good job by Coach Dambrot going over to the St. Joe's bench.
Only 3 fouls called on the Hawks in the first half? .....Ridiculous.
Gritty game and win.
Hit fouls shots when they had to but it is still an issue.

Agree with you Ghost. Cecco from St. Joseph was in real pain. His leg looked horrible. Everyone in Palumbo was focused on him. Kudos to Coach Martelli for having his team come over to him before he was carted off. An injury like that puts this sport into perspective. 
Aside from that, this was a spirited hard fought contest from the opening tip to the last second. St. Joe did not give up; both teams gave everything they had. Wonderful win for us. 

1/12/2019 9:25 pm  #40

Simms wrote:

Great atmosphere! I thought the PA announcer did a great job getting the fans excited. Has he asked the crowd to get rowdy in the past? I loved it!

Simms,

I've been starting to push the envelope a bit on the PA this year since so many other schools do it now.  I don't want to overdo it too much but today's game seemed to call for it in some spots and I think the crowd responded very well to it.  

The NCAA doesn't want us cheerleading too much on the mic, at least that's what I've been told in the past.  

LOVED the atmosphere today guys.  Keep it coming!

1/12/2019 9:39 pm  #41

I'm glad to hear so many positive comments. I thought we were pretty quiet in the student section than I was expecting but my perspective wasn't great. The rest of the crowd was incredibly engaged and heated and it was fun to play off of.

As to the amount of foul comments, SJU is notoriously one of the lowest fouling teams in the country. There weren't that many plays I thought were worthy of fouls in the 1st half, but the refs were definitely giving us some ticky tacky in the 2nd

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/12/2019 9:47 pm  #42

Now to the players, what an absolutely monster 2nd half by Mike Hughes.

Sincere just does so much its amazing he can play defense on their best guard for 40 minutes.

EW just never gives up. His play wasn't consistent today but I really like where his head is at. Lot of big rebounds late before another ridiculous put back dunk.

12 Turnovers including 7 steals on the #1 Turnover efficiency team in the country. More than a few in the backcourt. Tremendous plus

SJU does not look like an 0-4 team. They are a good team with some excellent players and they played well today. And we still beat em. What a feel good win for the Dukes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/12/2019 11:21 pm  #43

One of the best games I've seen in a while... I lost my voice at the refs... made a bit of an a$$ of myself... but they were totally in love with Phil Martelli.  One kept going over and talking to him at every time out.

At one point they ignored an obvious hack when we were driving then called a non contact foul against us at the other end... totally obvious preference!

They FINALLY  started calling the game even late in the second half...  at first the crowd was amazed we got a call then the refs got a standing ovation for each call after.

Last edited by coffee (1/12/2019 11:22 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/13/2019 9:17 am  #44

1/13/2019 9:50 am  #45

I have to say one of the more gratifying wins I've witnessed.  Overall team win with 5 guys in double figures.  Although I'd like to see LNorman get more minutes, if there ever was a game that TDM got mostly all of them as the third guard this was it.  His absolutely best game of the year so far.  Ghost of WW it was a pleasure meeting you and I enjoyed our banter during the game.  I thought the crowd was great as well - especially all of us old timers who still know how to get pumped up.  Happy the students that did attend were engaged and vocal - get more of your friends to come!  I'm out of town for the next two home games (figures) against St. Lou and VCU so I'll be cheering and watching the Dukes on ESPN +.  GO DUKES!!

1/13/2019 10:03 am  #46

Originally Posted by yak-rbc  View Post
Duq reporter Sarah Spencer: https://twitter.com/sarah_k_spence/s...766868480?s=19

They were able to set Oliva's knee back in place, so he has avoided emergency surgery, for now.

Sorry to see him get hurt so bad. I didn't see him go down since the ball was down the court fast in transition. The entire building went silent. It's amazing he doesn't need emergency surgery. One good thing is that Mercy Trauma Center is right next door.

Thoughts to him and his family and the team.

Kudos to the Hawks players for pulling themselves together and playing one of the most hard fought, back and forth games I've seen in a long time.

Charlie Brown is something special and I don't think the year is over yet for St. Joe's.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/13/2019 12:14 pm  #47

These next two road games are huge because we have a really tough four game stretch coming up against SLU, VCU, Rhody, and Dayton.

1/13/2019 12:49 pm  #48

Just a few comments on the game yesterday and the progress of the team:
I think we tend to forget just how inexperienced this team was coming into this season.  Even Mike Hughes, TDM, and Frankie Hughes had minimal game experience in their freshman seasons.  It is way different to be a guy coming in to spell a starter for a few minutes, than it is to be a starter, or a vital member of the 8-man rotation.  Only Marcus Weathers played a significant role in his freshman season; so these guys have had to grow up quickly into those roles with this team.  I like the way that Mike Hughes described it in Sarah's game story.  He referenced the fact that this team feels like it's gone through that transition period and is ready to go forward now with everyone understanding their roles. They don't want to make any excuses anymore about being very young.  I agree, that yesterday this team looked like they have grown-up significantly since the early non-con games.  Still a long way to go and more growth in the process, but I like where the team is right now. 

St. Joe's guards were so fast!  They were really hard to control getting to the rim!  I would assume they will see a lot of zone from teams that cannot cope with this quickness and speed.  I was very impressed with Kimble and #3, they can play for me anytime! 

Charley Brown Jr. is a legit scorer.  He made shots over good defense, liked to shoot off the defensive "bump" and can shoot from deep or mid-range!  I was saying that late in the game he actually looked like he shot better when closely defended, than when he was wide-open!  I expected St. Joe's to bring the fury yesterday, and they certainly did.  I can't believe they have been losing games like they have been.  If they an duplicate the effort yesterday, they will be a factor going forward in the A-10. 

I found the strategy of St Joe's interesting in terms of post defense.  The first half and early second, they tended to  double the post everytime Mike got the ball down low.  The Dukes were able to take advantage of that by hitting the open man, and reversing the ball, to get open looks at the 3.  Hitting them was critical, because the strategy was successful in holding Mike from scoring much in the first half (only 2 pts, I think).  As the 3-ball took its toll,  Martelli called off the double team and played it straight down low, and Mike made them pay with a big second half!  Just a case of picking your poison, but the strategy was a good one, based on our history of not hitting the 3 in previous games. 

I love the competitiveness of our team this year!  They don't crack when things get tough.  The future is bright for the Dukes! 

Last edited by levon1975 (1/14/2019 4:39 pm)

1/13/2019 1:28 pm  #49

As a Dukes fan, nothing like an intense league game on a Saturday afternoon with the Dukes coming out on top. One thing you can say in the Keith Dambrot era is the "Dukes never say die" at Palumbo. You wish they didn't fall in these holes but time and time again last year and this year they dig out of them and more times than not end up winning. 
Great team effort and fight to come back and win with such balance scoring wise while doing it the way they want to by playing through M. Hughes in the post. St Joe's certainly has some pieces in place as we saw and considering their start and the fact they'd been here since Wednesday night, figured they'd be ready to go and play much better than they've shown or are capable of in league play.

Best wishes to Oliva for a timely and full recovery. While he was laying there before being attended to, the outside of his left knee was in my line of sight and it is was obviously hard to look at.

Critical week on the road lies ahead for the Dukes 

1/13/2019 2:05 pm  #50

Dunn-Martin had 2 good games in a row in the plus-minus column. Not sure how much that  stat has to do with playing time but I think it should.

Board footera