Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2019 10:52 pm  #1

2 Discussion Questions

1. If the Dukes split the remainder of the conference season at 7-7, is the regular season a success?
  1b. Is your answer different on 1/17 than it would have been on 11/10?

2. Approximately half way through their respective freshmen seasons, who is the better point guard Sincere or TJ?

1/17/2019 11:07 pm  #2

Re: 2 Discussion Questions

Of course. 10-8 in league play would be fantastic. Remember, we've only played one good team so we have many tough games left.

1/17/2019 11:08 pm  #3

1. Yes, 19 wins is better than a .500 record (10-8 in conference) with a team of sophomores and freshmen is a positive sign.. In my own 9-9 scenario I had them losing to Richmond.

Also it would be a success for the following reasons:
1. We beat Richmond
2. We beat Richomnd
3. Richmond was beaten by us
4. Richmond was beaten by us.
5.  We beat Richmond.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/18/2019 8:18 am  #4

I know predicting the whole season is fun but as I said in another thread I am a strictly one game at a time guy.  The point guard question, though, intrigued me.  I liked what TJ brought a lot and I did not research any stats, but I hsve to give the edge to Sincere.  Close, but that is my vote.

1/18/2019 8:54 am  #5

Saw a stat on twitter we have the toughest remaining A10 schedule based on winning % thus far.  Davidson has the easiest.  So, take that for whatever you think its worth.

1/18/2019 9:25 am  #6

townsonkid wrote:

Saw a stat on twitter we have the toughest remaining A10 schedule based on winning % thus far.  Davidson has the easiest.  So, take that for whatever you think its worth.

We've only played one good team in the A10, and have doubles against Dayton, and SLU remaining, as well as games vs URI, and VCU. GMU is now looking like the team everyone expected as well. That's why these games against non contenders are so important.

1/18/2019 10:00 am  #7

duq81 wrote:

Of course. 10-8 in league play would be fantastic. Remember, we've only played one good team so we have many tough games left.

Its debatable whether any A10 team is "good". Maybe you are talking relative to the rest of the league, but is URI "good"? I would say no they are not. This is a really, really down year for the league. I dont see one team on our schedule that I'm circling as an auto-loss.  I'm not saying we will win, but it's not like any of our games are against Duke.

Will we play better teams than we've been playing?  Yes.  Are they "good"? Dunno...

Last edited by WEB (1/18/2019 10:00 am)

1/18/2019 10:49 am  #8

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Its debatable whether any A10 team is "good". Maybe you are talking relative to the rest of the league, but is URI "good"? I would say no they are not. This is a really, really down year for the league. I dont see one team on our schedule that I'm circling as an auto-loss. I'm not saying we will win, but it's not like any of our games are against Duke.

Will we play better teams than we've been playing? Yes. Are they "good"? Dunno...

Good = "a contender". In this league, this year, that means VCU, SLU, UD, Davidson, and maybe URI, and GMU. It has yet to be determined if we belong with the first 4, or with URI, and GMU. We'll soon know.

1/18/2019 1:28 pm  #9

And just remember, Saint Joe's was supposed to be a top-four team. Even as the conference season started that was the case. And they were good enough to beat Davidson on Tuesday night. That was a good win. We have a good team. We should be in every game we play. Nobody in this league this year should make us feel like we're a lesser-light.

I would absolutely take a 10-8 conference season. That's a good building block. And leaves open the chance at getting hot in the tournament.

And I think Sincere is probably a little bit better than TJ was as a freshman. More dynamic, for sure. A better scorer and shooter. TJ was the better defender.

1/18/2019 2:28 pm  #10

Just a memory jogger regarding the success of TJ McConnell as a freshman.

As a Freshman (2010-11)
Was one of five to see action in all 32 games ... started 30 times ... averaged 10.8 points, 3.8 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 2.8 steals on the way to being named 2011 Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year ... finished in the top 10 in five A-10 statistical categories (all games): steals (1st at 2.8), assist/turnover ratio (2nd at 2.5-to-1), assists (5th at 4.4), field goal pct. (8th at .498) and 3-point pct. (9th at .402) ... also named to the CollegeInsider.com Freshman All-America and Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Teams ... topped them all by earning ECAC Rookie of the Year ... was the only Division I freshman with over 300 points, 125 assists and 75 steals (344, 140, 91) ... ranked fourth nationally in steals per game (2.9 spg.) ... broke DU's freshman steals record in his 24th game (the old record of 70 was set by Clayton Adams in 32 g. in 1997-98), the Atlantic 10 freshman record in his 30th game (the old record of 86 was set by Temple's Pepe Sanchez in 31 g. in 1997) and the DU single-season record in his 31st game (the old record of 89 was set by Damian Saunders in 32 g. in 2010) ... broke the A-10 freshman mark with his fifth steal vs. Saint Joseph's at the A-10 Championship ... had at least two steals in all but six games and posted five or more steals six times ... was just the third player in the 15-year history of the A-10 All-Defensive Team not to earn a spot on the squad despite leading the conference in steals ... the others are Duquesne's Damian Saunders (2009) and Charlotte's Leemire Goldwire (2008) ... his 2.50-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio (140-56) ranked second in the A-10 in addition to being tied for the sixth-best mark ever posted by an NCAA Division I freshman ... scored in double digits 19 times with highs of 20 (18 in the second half) at Green Bay, 19 vs. George Mason and 18 vs. West Virginia & Saint Louis ... was named Atlantic10 Rookie of the Week a school record-tying five times: (Dec. 13) - 19.0 ppg., 5.5 apg. and 3.0 spg. at Green Bay and vs. WVU; (Jan. 10) - 13.5 ppg., 5.0 apg., 4.0 rpg. and 3.5 spg. in road wins at Saint Joseph's and Houston Baptist; (Jan. 17) - 10.0 ppg. and 4.0 apg. in wins over Saint Louis and No. 19 (AP) Temple; (Jan. 24) - 10.0 ppg. and 5.0 spg. in wins over La Salle and Charlotte ... finished with six steals vs. Charlotte; (Jan. 31) - school record-tying fifth ROW honor 14.5 ppg., 7.0 apg. and 5.0 rpg. wins at Fordham and over Dayton ... had 14 points and five steals vs. No. 3 (AP) Pitt despite suffering a mid-foot sprain in shootaround the afternoon of the game ... did not practice for two days following the injury while wearing a walking boot ... shed the boot and came off the bench for the first time to log 31 minutes at Penn State (five points, six assists, three steals and zero turnovers) ... he had started all five games prior to the injury ... started 30 times (he also didn't start vs. Temple after being 10 minutes late for pregame breakfast) ... the six-footer had 11 rebounds to go along with 10 points and nine assists in 27 minutes at Bowling Green in nearly becoming the second player in school history to post a triple-double ... McConnell played just nine minutes in the second half of the lopsided win ... it was his third career game ... nearly did it again with 12 points, 8 rebounds, 9 assists and 5 steals in the 70-64 win over St. Bonaventure on March 2 ... handed out five or more assists in a game 14 times and led the team in assists a team-high 20 times ... became just the third freshman in school history - and first since Kenya Hunter (10) vs. Detroit on Feb. 20, 1993 - to hand out double-digit assists with 10 at Fordham ... did not turn the ball over in 30 minutes against the Rams ... finished fourth on Duquesne's freshman single season assist list with 140 ... his 979 minutes played were second only to Tom Pipkins' freshman record 1,138 in 1994 ... went 23-of-46 from the 3-point arc in his first 15 games, went 11-of-42 from 3-point (.262) in next 14 before finishing the year by going 5-of-9 in DU's last three games ... his 3-point shooting percentage (.402) was the second-best by a DU freshman ... had 68 assists and 17 turnovers in 16 Atlantic 10 games (4.0-to-1 ratio was the league's best in conference-only play).
 2011 NCAA Steals Leaders        Cl  G   Stl Spg.
Anthony Nelson, Niagara         Sr. 29  98  3.42
Josh Slater, Lipscomb           Sr. 30  93  3.13
Jay Threatt, Delaware State     Jr. 30  93  3.14
T.J. McCONNELL, DUQUESNE        Fr. 32  91  2.85
Jared Cunningham, Oregon St.    So. 30  85  2.8

Top Freshman Assist/Turnover Ratios in NCAA History
Five 2010-11 freshmen rank among the top eight all-timePlayer, Team                       Season  Games  Assists   TOs    Ratio
Jason Brickman, Long Island*        2011    33      180     64      2.81
Desmond Wade, Houston               2009    33      113     41      2.76
Rodney Glasgow, VMI*                2011    29      116     44      2.64
Eric Atkins, Notre Dame*            2011    34      110     43      2.56
Danny Nieman, Coastal Carolina      2010    33      102     40      2.55
T.J. McCONNELL, DUQUESNE*           2011    32      140     56      2.50
Kendall Marshall, N. Carolina*      2011    37      230     92      2.50
Hernst Laroche, New Mexico St.      2009    32      139     56      2.48
* - Indicates 2011 freshman

1/18/2019 2:48 pm  #11

phil95 wrote:

1. If the Dukes split the remainder of the conference season at 7-7, is the regular season a success?
  1b. Is your answer different on 1/17 than it would have been on 11/10?

2. Approximately half way through their respective freshmen seasons, who is the better point guard Sincere or TJ?

A split would put us at 10-8 for the A10 and 19 wins on the season. My prediction "on the record" (with no stated non-con/con split) was 18 wins though I probably guess at 9 and 9.

I would be almost thrilled if we finished with 10 wins. That would give us probably a 5 or 6 seed in the tourney, and would only be the 6th time EVER we finished above 500 in conference play

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/18/2019 6:40 pm  #12

I'd take the 10-8. As far as the comparison I would hold off until the end of season to see how Sincere holds up to the rigors of the A-10 schedule.

1/18/2019 9:46 pm  #13

Second fjhryn, he not only turned his back but stuck a dagger in the heart of the Dukes. I dont see him as a member of the Duquesne family. IMO Sincere has more offensive punch.

As for the remaining games, its gonna be a war to the end. I see a lot of close games n more ups n downs. Next Wednesday maybe we get 2500 real people at Palumbo. That last game at home against Dayton could be huge.

1/19/2019 5:04 pm  #14

Ouch! I had no idea that such resentment existed for TJ. It was crushing to me at the time but has clearly been an excellent life decision. I have a hard time being mad at him & love his NBA game.

I give the slight edge to Sincere because he has been such a stable leader without the relative luxury of upperclassmen to help you through the first year. However, whoever wrote it was correct. The next 7 or games will tell the story.

I too think a 7-7 finish would be cause for (mild) celebration given the remaining schedule.

1/19/2019 5:06 pm  #15

phil95 wrote:

Ouch! I had no idea that such resentment existed for TJ. It was crushing to me at the time but has clearly been an excellent life decision. I have a hard time being mad at him & love his NBA game.

I give the slight edge to Sincere because he has been such a stable leader without the relative luxury of upperclassmen to help you through the first year. However, whoever wrote it was correct. The next 7 or games will tell the story.

I too think a 7-7 finish would be cause for (mild) celebration given the remaining schedule.

1/19/2019 6:29 pm  #16

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Second fjhryn, he not only turned his back but stuck a dagger in the heart of the Dukes. I dont see him as a member of the Duquesne family. IMO Sincere has more offensive punch.

As for the remaining games, its gonna be a war to the end. I see a lot of close games n more ups n downs. Next Wednesday maybe we get 2500 real people at Palumbo. That last game at home against Dayton could be huge.

Not being argumentative here, but ignoring TJ's contributions on the court during his two years here is a non-starter. I was bummed, crushed, whatever you want to say, when he left. My stance has softened over time.

At some point, you gotta get over stuff.

1/19/2019 6:58 pm  #17

Yes, I'll agree that a 10-8 would qualify as a success, but I am hoping for better than that at this point.  A win tomorrow would be a nice step towards better and I really like our chances.

No TJ resentment from me, Phil.  I loved watching him play for the Dukes.  Sure, I wish he'd have stayed for 4 years but he made a wise decision for his future and all I can say about that is good for him. I really like watching him play for the Sixers as well.

Sincere Carry is a man.  No doubt from day 1.  He's one of the rare players I've seen for the Dukes over the past  40 plus years that I thought from the first time I saw him that he has a chance to make it in the NBA.  That's a long way off, though, and a lot of work, development and good health must come first.  The last player I thought that about was TJ.

I had been told by a friend whose opinion I truly respect and who had seen TJ play many times in high school that he was an NEC player at best.  Then I saw TJ play for myself wondered what this friend was thinking.  In my opinion, the only Duke I've ever seen with quicker hands on defense than TJ was Norm Nixon.  He exhibited great court awareness from the start as has Sin.  Both have excellent stamina.  Both can pass and score.  It's a close call. 

But for me, right now at half  a season I give TJ the edge.

Sin Carry has his Duquesne future ahead of him, however.  He has the chance to be a truly special player.  I hope by the time he's through he's being talked about with Nixon and Somerset and not TJ.

1/19/2019 7:00 pm  #18

phil95 wrote:

I think people resent TJ because they feel that his departure is what opened the door for Amodio to think he could get away with firing RE.

1/19/2019 8:00 pm  #19

I think people resent TJ because they feel that his departure is what opened the door for Amodio to think he could get away with firing RE.

I get that, though I think the firing and who he hired are separate things. I liked what RE did and I think there was a better way to go about it, though after TJ left he had no PG returning and had multiple times failed to find a forward who could take up what Saunders offered. I just don't know what he could have done the next year to earn an extension given that they were basically starting over again. We know now in hindsight that his incoming recruiting class didn't really perform in the places they landed. Could that have improved with his coaching? It's hard to say given how he was with his assistants.

The real issue though was of course Amodio himself. His "competence" was for the no-brainer hire of SMS and stumbling into RE (who allegedly wasn't his first choice). If you look at the decisions he wasn't forced into making you see a lot of middling-to-bad.

Long haul though - I think that if any of that hadn't happened we don't have Dambrot now. I don't think there are many other people who have the means to take on this task. Certainly no one who was a serious candidate at the time. Well, except Dambrot the first time around.

That said, I don't think Amodio even on his best day could have convinced Dambrot to come here ever, in a million years.

As an aside, what really got me about TJ was how he appeard to hide behind his father when he left. I went to those basketball camps growing up. I have an abundance of respect for Coach McConnell and I know what Coach taught about accountability, follow-through on commitments, and leadership. I don't fault TJ for leaving, I fault him for failnig to own it when he left. It hurt my opinion of Coach as well, because it felt like he was saying "these lessons are real and true unless my family is involved."

I think Carry might match him for talent but it's hard to say just because of how different the team around him is. I'd love to see the Dukes have someone like Saunders at the 4 for Carry to dish to, but our forwards are developing. Very different situation, but definitely more promising in the long haul.

Last edited by Face (1/19/2019 9:16 pm)

1/19/2019 9:16 pm  #20

McConnell took care of McConnell. It wasnt just the mens program. Dont dump the red n blue

1/20/2019 11:53 am  #21

As far as Sin or TJ, they are very close at this early stage of development in my opinion.  Knowing how TJ developed and that he is a legit NBA player probably influences one to lean toward TJ.

I hold no resentment at all toward TJ.  I watch 76er games when I can to watch him play.  I understand there was a "meet the coach" get together when Ron told Tim McConnell that he would give TJ a scholarship to DU if Tim committed to send him.  At the time I believe TJ was going into his sophomore or junior year and was 5'8" or 5'9".   I doubt that anyone, including his father, had any idea that TJ would grow as he did and become the high school basketball star that he became.  I was thrilled that TJ was committed to DU but I also thought at the time that if TJ was my son it would be tough to send him to DU since he could have explored better opportunities.  If he is your son and he is only getting one shot, the temptation to do what you believe to be in his best interest might be overwhelming.  
The bottom line is that I'm glad DU had him for two years; I don't blame him or his family for moving him to Arizona and I'm happy for him that he worked his tail off and made to the NBA.  If he was your son, would you have done anything differently?  Besides, maybe he buys his parents dinner now and then!

1/20/2019 1:07 pm  #22

When i watched TJ playing, I  sat near his father and listened to some of the conversation going on.  All members of the McConnell Family are astute in the game of basketball and of course his dad was a long time coach for Chartiers.  Seem to recollect from listening that maybe some of the other guards (playing with TJ) were not always buying into the offensive strategy that he was trying to implement.  No doubt it was frustrating for for him and Everhardt.  And maybe Everhardt didn't effectively control the approach on the court....  Could never blame TJ for wanting to take a more disciplined approach to the game.. hence his move away from Duquesne...

1/20/2019 1:15 pm  #23

theprofessor1099 wrote:

Knowing how TJ developed and that he is a legit NBA player probably influences one to lean toward TJ.

I was thinking the same thing while writing my assessment. 

1/20/2019 1:20 pm  #24

I didn't think I would ever see a Duke I liked to watch play as much as McConnell, but I'd have to say at this point Carry is better. Part of what I liked so much about McConnell was that I felt he was a rare player maximizing his potential. Someone that good playing for the Dukes was great, but I felt like he had truly met the height of his potential. Obviously I was wrong, but that was how I felt in the moment. I watch Carry and am amazed at how someone so talented was completely missed by every other scout in Division 1. I also feel like he is far from his ceiling though, there are much brighter days ahead. So I'd have to say Carry is better at this point.

As for whether I "forgive" McConnell for leaving, absolutely. It crushed me when he made the decision because I felt like Duquesne was going to fall right back into what it had been for the previous 25 years (although I've only followed the Dukes since enrolling in 2000). At the same time, it would have been foolish to turn down the opportunity he had. Had he stayed at Duquesne, he would have played on mediocre teams and probably ended up playing overseas. Transferring gave him the opportunity to play for a top 5 team, possibly a top 5 coach (with personal connections no less), and is what got him to the NBA. I loved having him for two years, and while selfishly I wish it were two more, personally he made the right decision. I'll always consider him a Duke even if he didn't get his degree and completely "forgive him" for leaving.

Last edited by luckymcd (1/20/2019 1:21 pm)

1/20/2019 1:21 pm  #25

I'm not judging TJ.  Sure I wish he'd have stayed but I also wish we had someone like KD locked up before we set the program back a decade by switching Ron for Ferry.   Ron didn't get half the support KD is getting now and that has got to figure into why TJ left.  If Everhart had the same support that Keith Dambrot is getting from Harper on up to the top, he may still be here.

That said, Dambrot is a 10, Everhart a 9 and Jim Ferry tried as hard But comes in a 3.

Comparing TJ and Sincere isn't fair to either right now unless youre just looking at their freshman year alone.

As unheard of as it sounds, I'd say Sincere is much more valuable to this young team than TJ was then and statistically its a draw.

If Sincere's trajectory for improving his game with a good coach he may be in the NBA some day as well.  He certainly compares well with the other last great guards the Dukes have had recently aside from TJ-  AJAX and Mike James who both made it.

Last edited by coffee (1/20/2019 1:23 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

Board footera