Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2019 10:12 pm  #1

Facilities

I could say so much. Totally enjoying  this young team and hoping we can finally start competing at an upper level at the not too distant future. Grew up as a kid going to games at the Civic Arena with my wildman father who lived and grew up in the bluff from the late 1920s into the late 50s. Ive been off and on over the decades. Riding this team n coach for all its worth. Ive been to almost every home game n i know the renovation is coming, but please can we get a few more bathrooms,about 4 more concession stands n a responsive  ticket office. My take with our beloved University is that they have been 1/2 assing it for the last 50 years. I sure as hell hope this renovation isnt another bandage over all these past mistakes

1/18/2019 10:20 pm  #2

Re: Facilities

I'm aware of only two bathrooms --  and with the  paltry crowds, still have to sometimes wait...

1/18/2019 10:22 pm  #3

I'm aware of only two bathrooms --  and with the  paltry crowds, still have to sometimes wait...  However, not knockin' it if the teams continues to play well and win!

1/18/2019 10:24 pm  #4

I don't think you could be farther away from past administrations in terms of desire and commitment than you get with Gormley and Harper. I anticipate that we'll be pleased with the results.

1/18/2019 11:14 pm  #5

I have been to 10 home games this season and the Radford game in Akron.
No disrespect but some nights the folks who work the walk up ticket window on game day/night can be clueless
and snail slow.
 Confusion and that "deer in the headlights" look to the simplest question.
Can someone tell me just what the yellow shirts/ushers responsibilities are ?
If I'm going to pay 54 dollars for two seats in A3 should students who did not purchase
seats for that section be able to sit in A3?
Just curious.

Last edited by Ghost of Walter White (1/19/2019 8:42 am)

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

1/19/2019 9:15 am  #6

The Duquesne fan experience is piss poor.Parking in the garage-came in from Columbus expecting some improvements and waited about 30 minutes to get out of parking garage.The Duquesne athletic dept
needs to get their head out of their ass.2,800 people and not a chance of getting a chance a hot dog or drink.If you wait in line for concessions you miss part of the game.
  The way things are run at these games discourages the casual basketball fan from ever returning to watch a Duquesne game at Palumbo.You probably would get a better fan experience going to watch
a high school game at Mckeesport High School.
 Some folks at the athletic department should be fired, get some new blood in here, that cares about
Duquesne ,and the way things are done- piss f--g poor

1/19/2019 9:17 am  #7

I think it was the NJIT game. Purchased 6 tickets in advance n they had the outside will call window closed. I had to wait longer than people buying on the spot.

Ghost I've also noticed students, i assume, coming up and sitting in emoty seats in A. I guess one good  thing is that at least they are showing. The way I look at it is that by buying the ticket you are financially contributing and putting your money where your mouth is.

1/19/2019 9:31 am  #8

They got ushers who should be able to help find your seat and do it in a professional manner.I got a usher who mumbled and had her head up her ass,I found the seat on my own,I love the Dukes and hope for big crowds
but I ask myself how many people will put up with this lack of caring.Fire the clowns in the athletic dept.
I think it hurts attendance.Get people like me who have a passion for Duquesne in jobs who care what goes on
and represent Duquesne in the best way possible.No one cares.If someone cared this crap would not happen.

1/19/2019 10:23 am  #9

1 - purchasing tickets at gate A is really tough. The 2 people who work there are slow. The new ticket windows should be inside.

2 - the concessions is a disgrace. They need 4X the amount of people working.

3 - getting people into the game is also embarrassing. For a larger crowd, you could be waiting 10min in line to enter.

4 - the parking garage situation is also pathetic. It takes forever. I never park in that garage.

We have good top level leadership but the people down in the details leave alot to be desired. I'm fearful that if we beat GW and SLU that the VCU game could see 4k+ and there could be alot of issues with the fan experience.

1/19/2019 11:23 am  #10

From going to many games over many years and as a season ticket holder:
Pluses:  parking is close to the venue  Grade: A-

Ok, that's it for pluses:
Ushers (checking tix, who is in right seats as folks are in mine frequently until I get there, etc.)  Grade: D
Tix window and seeing people wait in line:  Grade:  C-
# concessions and options and staying open through the end of the game:  D
# Bathrooms:  F
Overall Palumbo Experience (non- team related): D
But we are getting a new one!!!

1/19/2019 11:59 am  #11

I'll complain about stuff other people haven't touched on yet.

There was some contest or something, you fill in the forms and you might win a prize? Well at the lower gate there were the forms and no box to put them!

At least 1 and usually 2 of the doors at the lower gate are always locked coming in.

Yeah, students are sitting in the non student section. That's annoying.

I don't even bother trying to get food during the game I just know it's that bad - both in terms of wait and quality.

I also don't even know if they sell Duquesne merch anywhere, certainly not in an easy place to find.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/19/2019 12:24 pm  #12

Ghost of Walter White wrote:

I have been to 10 home games this season and the Radford game in Akron.
No disrespect but some nights the folks who work the walk up ticket window on game day/night can be clueless
and snail slow.
 Confusion and that "deer in the headlights" look to the simplest question.
Can someone tell me just what the yellow shirts/ushers responsibilities are ?
If I'm going to pay 54 dollars for two seats in A3 should students who did not purchase
seats for that section be able to sit in A3?
Just curious.

Please don’t get me started on trying to buy tickets at that window.   It takes at least 5-10 minutes to buy a ticket per person on gameday.   I don’t understand why you don’t have it takes 10 mouse clicks to buy a ticket. 

You can’t have tickets preprinted??? 

Mark my words.  The following is going to happen.  The team will continue to win.  Chatter about the Dukes will start to grow. 

There will be a Saturday home game against a good team.  They will be slammed with a big walk up crowd and no one will be able to get in on time. 

Happened against RI in the RE years.   Sunday afternoon.  Most people didn’t get in until halfway through the first.  People will be furious and casual fans won’t come back for another 5 years.

The administration will say they were unprepared but it will not happen again. 

The set up is happening for this exact situation.   History at Duquesne always repeats itself.  Doesn’t matter who is in charge. 

It going to happen again.   But no one there cares.  No one is proactive.   Only reactive.

Last edited by A83 (1/19/2019 12:26 pm)

1/19/2019 12:34 pm  #13

I will say this though - they have beer and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/19/2019 12:41 pm  #14

They do sell game merchandise there.  There is a kiosk on the walkway behind the adult seating that is behind the Dukes bench.  With that said, a lot cheaper on Amazon!

Well, you know things are getting better when we are discussing the game day experience...not the just the team and coach!!  This is a good thing.

1/19/2019 1:29 pm  #15

This sounds like a job for Student Labor, man!

Gotta be some kids on campus with little green in their pockets and big wishes for a social life.

1/19/2019 4:51 pm  #16

I doubt anyone there is going to change anything now.  But i hope come 2020-21 there are many improvements.  We dont need sushi, gourmet hamburgers or taco nights, but a decent hot dog, warm pretzel, cold drink would be nice.  A credit card swiper that doesnt take 5 minutes.  I assume//hope all of that will be addressed in the Coop.  A video scoreboard that actually shows replays and is big enough to be seen by all.  I have tickets in A6 but have enjoyed it more up in the red balcony seats.  Nicer view, no complaining at refs, more space to spread out. 
Bathrooms are sad.  Cant do much about that now tho. 

See yinz wednesday.

1/19/2019 5:26 pm  #17

WEB wrote:

1 - purchasing tickets at gate A is really tough. The 2 people who work there are slow. The new ticket windows should be inside.

2 - the concessions is a disgrace. They need 4X the amount of people working.

3 - getting people into the game is also embarrassing. For a larger crowd, you could be waiting 10min in line to enter.

4 - the parking garage situation is also pathetic. It takes forever. I never park in that garage.

We have good top level leadership but the people down in the details leave alot to be desired. I'm fearful that if we beat GW and SLU that the VCU game could see 4k+ and there could be alot of issues with the fan experience.

Right on. The frontline employees in all departments have been atrocious forever. This suggests that middle management is also lacking. I will be extremely disappointed if house cleaning doesn't happen during the renovation.

Serious coach + committed administration + good facilities=a winner

1/19/2019 5:35 pm  #18

In regard to the personnel issues, a wise man once said---Open the doors, open the windows!

1/19/2019 9:13 pm  #19

One other note which i don't think was commented on, i believe i called re: tickets for Fordham and i forget the guys name but he said Conor McGartlan had left. Not going to knock him in anyway but i relayed my dissatisfaction to the new guy and he asked me"do u think we should open that outside will call window. " it was ooen the night of Fordham.

1/20/2019 1:20 pm  #20

Reading all these posts about common sense leads one to believe that, incredibly, somehow, Duquesne remained stuck in the NIT world of eastern basketball and didn't even realize March Madness was born. Time to get on the stick.

1/21/2019 8:54 am  #21

Need to return to the electronic ticket too.  Much easier to transfer and to use if they just get equipment that works.

Board footera