Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2019 6:32 am  #1

Is It Too Much to Ask?

NOT that the PG has ANY interest/respect for the Ladies Basketball Team (I've seen WVU Ladies Box Scores from Road Games in the Paper -  DU Ladies HOME games are apparently unworthy of that.)

But with Saturday (presumingly being Senior Day) for a pretty darn good class of seniors - two of whom were local - THE PG CAN'T EVEN GET THE LOCATION CORRECT -  For the last few days the game is listed as 4:30 O'REILLY CENTER, OLEAN NY!!!

Maybe Sara Spencer will be given the OK to do an article on Chassidy or the four of them. 

2/25/2019 11:39 am  #2

Re: Is It Too Much to Ask?

This is part of a deeper, underlying issue which I place (mostly) on the Pittsburgh media.  

Years ago, can't recall just how many (but at least more than  8), I contacted the PG sports department and asked them why such little or no coverage of Duquesne women's basketball and one of the writers told me (paraphrasing) "There is little interest in WBB.  If you begin drawing decent crowds to the games, more coverage will be there."  

There is a huge disparity of media coverage between men's and women's sports, or in many cases, between professional and college sports because (according to the media outlets), that is where the fan interest is.  Problem is even worse than cities like Los Angeles where the UCLA women's team - doing fairly well lately- gets almost zero coverage and USC gets zero. Same for Atlanta and Georgia Tech- a good ACC team this season. Exceptions are places like the San Francisco Chronicle where Stanford and Cal. get consistently good coverage.  All women's teams in major metro areas (with a few exceptions), get little coverage.

But some of the blame must be put on Duquesne's sports marketing department - who have had no clue in promoting Dan's program.  Years ago I provided a strategic plan to help bring fans into the Palumbo, but nothing happened with it.  You need to draw 2,000+ to get traction.  A fan club could help, but even that idea was not supported.

Sorry

2/25/2019 6:15 pm  #3

Re: Is It Too Much to Ask?

I realize Pittsburgh is a PRO FOOTBALL TOWN -  PERIOD!!!  - Will be INTERESTING to see what happens to the Pens Post Crosby/Malkin Era -  BUT TO GET A LOCATION WRONG TWICE??  (so far)

(wonder if they intend to send anyone to Olean on Saturday heeheeehheheheh)

Last edited by SkepticAl (2/25/2019 6:16 pm)

Board footera