Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2019 5:13 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - University of Massachusetts Minutemen

duq81 wrote:

Clinched a winning record in league play.

and mathematically clinched not playing in the "Disgrace Day" game 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/02/2019 5:15 pm  #27

Well there aren't many teams on our schedule we could have beaten today, but luckily we were playing one of them. This win is only good in comparison to where we've been in the last 35 years, but a win when you bring your D game is still a positive sign.

TDM shot the lights out. Usually I'd laugh at a comparison to Curry, but it looked like anything across halfcourt was in his range today. There were a couple that would have been terrible shots had they not gone in, but they did. Having said that, the lack of experience really shows without Carry, and especially so when Mike is getting a breather. This was another streaky performance where we'd have stretches running crisp sets and getting good looks (even if they didn't fall), and then have stretches of standing around, aimless dribbling, and poor shots. If the direction and purpose can't come from the players on the court, it's got to come from the bench.

This was one of the worst officiated games I've seen. There were multiple times the refs disagreed with each other. There was no consistency on what got called, and they flat out missed some blatant calls. They also went to the monitor for seemingly no reason a couple times.

It looked like one of the bigger crowds of the season, which is a good sign given the competition. I loved the well deserved Bronx cheers at the refs, and a great let's go Dukes chant towards the end. Hopefully the women have a good crowd too.

Dayton lost, George Mason lost, and St. Bonaventure is losing. With just two games left, we are definitely still in the running for the double bye.

3/02/2019 5:20 pm  #28

I honestly didn't think they could play this well without Sincere.  If they get him back for the tournament, they could surprize some teams.

Dambrot may just be the best half time coach I've ever witnessed.  How else can all the double didget come-backs be explained?  How many games would I have turned off the tv or radio in years past?

Last edited by coffee (3/02/2019 5:22 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/02/2019 5:47 pm  #29

I think Keith and staff do a masterful job at halftime and in-game adjustments, but does anyone ever wonder about the pre-game preparation? The Coop's getting a new video room, no? They need it.

Agree about the officiating. The game took almost 2 1/2 hours to play. That's a lot for a college basketball game that doesn't go into overtime. I'm sure some of you guys get really excited about seeing Wade, Bizeau and Kelly on the floor at the same time, but it makes for some cringeworthy basketball. That's our team right now though. After the starting 5, the only other sub is Norman. Williams is front-rimming a lot of shots and really looks worn down to me, but still getting his numbers by the end of the game. It was a win and we're not used to seeing those this time of year, so I'll take it. Not sure we'll see another without Carry. Hope I'm wrong. 

3/02/2019 6:09 pm  #30

Ultimately they will need Carry but TDM was special. The contested lay up which he completed as a 3 point okay was pure guts. Mike Hughes was also terrific. He wanted them to clear out so he could take it to Godzilla. One constant theme i see is an inability to put away bunnies and other close range shots

3/02/2019 6:10 pm  #31

How about that coach for umass. Looked like he was 19

3/02/2019 6:27 pm  #32

All these close games build a certain character of not panicking.  Consider Routroff and Carey not in the mix and this was a very good win. UMASS has lost a lot of close games this season so this is a better team than their record.  I was thinking just how much playing time Mike Lewis could have got ,had he not left, but looking at a bunch of freshman and Soph. players doing good this season makes one think, this team just might be the real deal.  Let's get one more to make it 20 games this season. Go Dukes!    .

3/02/2019 6:46 pm  #33

I had to look twice at the box score.  I knew we were getting beat badly on the boards but could not believe we got beat 49 to 24.  Also to Dennis point, bench points we were outscored 27 to 3. There are not too many teams that overcome those kind of stats.  The compensating factor (in addition to the great 30 points by TDM), was that we only had 7 turnovers to UMass 19. 

This team plays hard, does not give up, and pulled yet another victory.  Go Dukes! 

https://goduquesne.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=9713

3/02/2019 6:51 pm  #34

If St. Joe's holds on to beat LaSalle, we can finish no lower than 7th in the conference. 

3/02/2019 7:12 pm  #35

Simms wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

TDM won this game for us. Unreal effort.

He looked like a little Steph Curry out there.

Congrats to TDM for a great performance.  But, the turning point, it seemed to me, was when Mike Hughes intercepted the inbounds for an easy layup.  That seemed to create the momentum to build the separation, which, until then, wasn't there.

Also, did anyone notice Kellon Taylor during the timeouts?  He looked to be coaching during the breaks.  Fantastic non-playing team mate!

Last edited by indygjm (3/02/2019 7:17 pm)

3/02/2019 7:15 pm  #36

First home game I have missed all year. 
My son's lacrosse season began today.......family!
All things considered ,man am I proud of these kids, the coaching staff and the loyal fans.
You folks have been Duquesne hoops fan MUCH longer than I have.
I admire your loyalty and your tenacity.
This program is relevant. It is real and it is only going to get better.
I will take "ugly" wins like today. Imagine that...we are calling wins " ugly".
Let's steal one against the Billikens and sell Palumbo out for Dayton!

Last edited by Ghost of Walter White (3/02/2019 7:16 pm)

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

3/02/2019 7:23 pm  #37

3/02/2019 7:48 pm  #38

CLK wrote:

I had to look twice at the box score.  I knew we were getting beat badly on the boards but could not believe we got beat 49 to 24.  Also to Dennis point, bench points we were outscored 27 to 3. There are not too many teams that overcome those kind of stats.  The compensating factor (in addition to the great 30 points by TDM), was that we only had 7 turnovers to UMass 19. 

This team plays hard, does not give up, and pulled yet another victory.  Go Dukes! 

https://goduquesne.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=9713

The freshmen bigs we we're looking forward to haven't worked out so well yet, but looking forward to a healthy Rotroff, Swingle and James Ellis next year.

3/02/2019 8:24 pm  #39

3/02/2019 9:47 pm  #40

How's Frankie play 32 minutes and only take 5 shots?

3/02/2019 9:53 pm  #41

wharfrat wrote:

The freshmen bigs we we're looking forward to haven't worked out so well yet, but looking forward to a healthy Rotroff, Swingle and James Ellis next year.

Bigs typically take a little bit longer to develop, so I think it is early to write off the current players. I am not expecting too much the first year from Ellis or Swingle.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I do think, even when it is outscored as badly as it was today, getting the young players meaningful minutes in a conference game win is a net positive. 

3/02/2019 9:59 pm  #42

mm76or99 wrote:

wharfrat wrote:

Bigs typically take a little bit longer to develop, so I think it is early to write off the current players. I am not expecting too much the first year from Ellis or Swingle.

I do think, even when it is outscored as badly as it was today, getting the young players meaningful minutes in a conference game win is a net positive. 

Correct. Mike Hughes is a great example. Didn’t contribute much as a freshman at Akron, but is one of the best bigs in the A10 as a RS sophomore.

3/03/2019 12:18 am  #43

If Tavian can get 24 more points in his last 2 games and m. Hughes gets 12 we will have 6 players averaging double digits in conf. games.

3/03/2019 8:42 am  #44

3/03/2019 9:57 am  #45

Another comeback win...
Minimum win probability of 17.4%, down 9 points 63-54 with 7:17 left.

3/03/2019 10:06 am  #46

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Another comeback win...

I like this pattern of beating the odds heading into the tournament!

Oddsmakers are giving us only a 4% chance of winning the A-10.

Last edited by coffee (3/03/2019 10:08 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/03/2019 1:19 pm  #47

coffee wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Another comeback win...

Makes sense. The natural odds of winning 4 games are 1/2 to the 4th power, or 1/16th (6.66%)

After the first game, the Dukes would probably be playing teams that finished above them in the standings, so they woud be assigned a less than 50% chance in each of those games. 

3/03/2019 2:02 pm  #48

coffee wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Another comeback win...

Have to throw down a couple bucks with those odds?!

3/03/2019 2:12 pm  #49

mm76or99 wrote:

wharfrat wrote:

I was listening to the Jeff Capel radio show last week on 93.7 on the way home and they were talking about the weekend matchup with Virginia (Capel is honestly a great listen and is super sharp).

Capel said UVA redshirts all their big men to give them a year to develop physically and he said it was a huge advantage they always have. That’s talking about 3 and 4 star guys. Makes me more than excited about Swingle Ellis, and Rotroff with Hughes next year.

How can you be anything but ecstatic with this young talented team. They are so gutsy and have pulled out so many improbable comebacks as they learn along the way. Can’t wait to see all these guys as upper classmen.

Look for Carry to be back for the A10 tourney....

Last edited by Duques102 (3/03/2019 2:13 pm)

3/03/2019 2:36 pm  #50

Dukes2012 wrote:

mm76or99 wrote:

wharfrat wrote:

Correct. Mike Hughes is a great example. Didn’t contribute much as a freshman at Akron, but is one of the best bigs in the A10 as a RS sophomore.

You're right, but I'm not looking for any of them to be major contributors. If 3 of them and Kelly play 10-15 min a game it will help the interior defense and rebounding.  I like Weathers, but he and EW aren't enough to support Hughes.

Board footera