Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2019 6:15 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (A)

With Lewis leaving and Williams struggles we could be a lot worse off. 

2/28/2019 7:39 pm  #52

currentstudent wrote:

Not to pile on this kid but I have never been a fan of EW. He is crazy athletic and could be a great player if he stays within himself. Stop shooting 3's - you feet land a different way ever time. Stay within 20 feet and play hard defense. 

I hate short PGs but TMD made me eat my words - Last night was my fear.

I have no idea why L Norman has been seeing so much bench this year - the kid has a smooth game,

I will end with this.....I hate to say it....but having Mike Lew would be awesome right now.   

EW is clearly having some struggles in year 2. I wouldn't argue against that. Attitude & effort are sketchy a small amount of the time but are also awesome quite often.

He is a very effective defender as consistently as anyone on the team except Sincere. He is  as good a pound for pound rebounder as the league has. He dominates games for 4 or 5 minutes stretches on both ends.

I really feel like he has lost his place  as a sophomore. His aggression is often misplaced & what was once easy for him is no longer. Is this what being a sophomore is or is there greater reason for concern? Is that on him, the coaching staff, or both. I don't know enough to have an opinion.

However, if he shouldn't be shooting 3s, neither should anyone else on this roster. He is still the leading combination of volume/percentage DU has to offer & even his somewhat questionable shot selection is significantly better than Frankie's or TDM's.

The A-10 has a long history of dynamic petite point guards. Chaz Williams, Shawnte Rogers, Shandue McNeil, Jack Gibbs, Marques Green, the great Jameer Nelson, etc.... TDM doesn't figure to continue this tradition mostly because he isn't a game running point guard, he isn't a playmaking savant, & he lacks the strength to overcome his lack of length/height. He can be counted-on to get blown by & overpowered 3-4 times every game for easy buckets, cough up the ball trying to split traps, & take at least 3 horrendous shots per 20 minutes.

The good news is that he is a streaky shooter, he inspires his teammates/coaches/fans, his effort is outstanding, & he has 2 years of eligibility remaining. When he has it going, he is magic off the bench. He simply doesn't have the goods to be the man at this level.

I try to remember that he is exactly the kind of player that would be a 3 year starter under the previous regime because there were no better options & no chance of recruiting better options. TDM is a really nice A-10 7th man & a pleasure to watch.

Last edited by phil95 (2/28/2019 7:58 pm)

2/28/2019 8:15 pm  #53

CLK wrote:

Some additional comments and some random thoughts after watching the replay:

1. The point guard play last night was ineffective (putting it politely). We miss Carry's ability to drive the ball to the hoop.  What do you all think about giving Lamar some minutes at the point while Carry is out?  He played the point in HS.  He is athletic, has a good handle, has a quick first step and can drive the ball hard to the hoop.  I think it would be an interesting experiment.  

2.  Speaking of driving the ball, I think Frankie would be a more effective player if he drove the ball more, and look for open mid range shots or eliminate the double team on Mike and get the assist. 

3. Speaking of driving again, what drives me crazy is watching our guys arguing with each other jogging up court on defense while their guy blows down court for an easy bucket.  This is on our coaches.

4.  The Bonnies were the more physical team last night, and got the advantage of not getting calls.  While we were screwed on several calls, we need to control our emotions.  The game was still in reach 12 down with 4:30 left, but the technical foul took the wind out of the team.  Again this is on our coaches.

5.  With very few exceptions this team always comes out flat with the same issues...sloppy unforced turnovers, poor shots early in the shot clock, inability to defend.  We usually rally after the 5 minute mark but wind up spotting teams 10 to 15 points.  I have heard all the explanation on this board but I still don't understand this.  

We can still get a double bye, but to get there we need to win out and hope for help.  This team has worked hard.  It is time for a team gut check.  I believe that the Dukes will bounce back and finish strong.  Go Dukes!

As long as Sincere is out, I am all for giving Lamar a shot at the point. I even think having EW initiate the offense also has some merits. He played a bunch of point in high school & maybe a quirky little tweak like that would give opposing defenses pause & wake EW up. For sure, teams will see last night's tape & try to do the same things to MH & TDM the Bonnies did until TDM/EW/Frankie can beat them.

Right now, with their old talent, new talent, size/length, strong coaching, home court advantage, & winning experience; the Bonnies are clearly the 3rd or 4th best team in the league. They have it rolling at the right time. DU could still end-up in the top 4 but is more like the 6th or 7th best team.

I am really excited for years 3 & 4 of KD's reign because ours will be the seasoned team with talent, a shiny arena, & great coaching. Last night sucked but the immediate & long term future still have me pumped.

On of the most unexpected things for me this season is that this is not a very disciplined group. Not in defensive scheme, offensive system, or general attitude. I had it in my mind that KD was an old school disciplinarian & wouldn't put up with a lot of immature play or deportment. Has the coach decided to let the kids be kids for the year? I am not angry about this is as much as surprised.

3/01/2019 10:38 am  #54

phil95 wrote:

currentstudent wrote:

Not to pile on this kid but I have never been a fan of EW. He is crazy athletic and could be a great player if he stays within himself. Stop shooting 3's - you feet land a different way ever time. Stay within 20 feet and play hard defense. 

I hate short PGs but TMD made me eat my words - Last night was my fear.

I have no idea why L Norman has been seeing so much bench this year - the kid has a smooth game,

I will end with this.....I hate to say it....but having Mike Lew would be awesome right now.   

EW is clearly having some struggles in year 2. I wouldn't argue against that. Attitude & effort are sketchy a small amount of the time but are also awesome quite often.

He is a very effective defender as consistently as anyone on the team except Sincere. He is  as good a pound for pound rebounder as the league has. He dominates games for 4 or 5 minutes stretches on both ends.

I really feel like he has lost his place  as a sophomore. His aggression is often misplaced & what was once easy for him is no longer. Is this what being a sophomore is or is there greater reason for concern? Is that on him, the coaching staff, or both. I don't know enough to have an opinion.

However, if he shouldn't be shooting 3s, neither should anyone else on this roster. He is still the leading combination of volume/percentage DU has to offer & even his somewhat questionable shot selection is significantly better than Frankie's or TDM's.

The A-10 has a long history of dynamic petite point guards. Chaz Williams, Shawnte Rogers, Shandue McNeil, Jack Gibbs, Marques Green, the great Jameer Nelson, etc.... TDM doesn't figure to continue this tradition mostly because he isn't a game running point guard, he isn't a playmaking savant, & he lacks the strength to overcome his lack of length/height. He can be counted-on to get blown by & overpowered 3-4 times every game for easy buckets, cough up the ball trying to split traps, & take at least 3 horrendous shots per 20 minutes.

The good news is that he is a streaky shooter, he inspires his teammates/coaches/fans, his effort is outstanding, & he has 2 years of eligibility remaining. When he has it going, he is magic off the bench. He simply doesn't have the goods to be the man at this level.

I try to remember that he is exactly the kind of player that would be a 3 year starter under the previous regime because there were no better options & no chance of recruiting better options. TDM is a really nice A-10 7th man & a pleasure to watch.

Really nice points. EW frustrates me because he abilities other kids would kill for. 

One player that I do love is Frankie Hughes. I know he can be hot and cold but when he is on - he is on. I also think he is a pure hooper instead of just an athlete.  

Last thing I'll say about the roster. I love the front court - however can someone provide some insight on the curious case of Gavin Bizeau, Dylan Swingle, Austin Rotroff. Gavin is a 4 star on VC. Austin looked good during non conference play. Dylan is a red-shirt but is that because he was disappointing in practice? He played against some future NBA all stars 

Even though last lost was terrible. We must remember - outside of EW the entire team is first year players. We have commitment from the university and a coach with proven success over a long period of time. Trust the process. 

Roll Dukes Roll

3/04/2019 8:46 pm  #55

WashPaRick wrote:

With Lewis leaving and Williams struggles we could be a lot worse off. 

Going to have to agree with this.

Board footera