Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2019 11:26 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens (A)

The team dynamics last night changed when Kelly got hurt. I sure hope the injury is not serious.  Kelly has been developing nicely and will be a big part of this team the next three years. 

It was hard to watch as our guys were killed on the glass yet again. Next year we will be bigger, and hopefully a lot stronger.  Go Dukes!

Box Score
https://goduquesne.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=9764

3/07/2019 11:30 am  #52

Don't get me wrong... I'm glad Sincere is back but this team needs to give more that 20 minutes of playing time to a player who just dropped in 30 in his last game (TDM).  Frankie Hughes played 29 minutes and Sincere played 34 just after surgery.  Wade didn't earn the 4 he got.  There is a huge drop off when he is in at a critical time in the game. 

Play both Sincere and TDM together more... both can shoot, both can drive, both can play defense better than any alternative combination. 

That said, the game changed big time after Kelly got hurt, particularly with the tacky fouls on Michael Hughes and Weathers.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/07/2019 11:38 am  #53

coffee wrote:

Don't get me wrong... I'm glad Sincere is back but this team needs to give more that 20 minutes of playing time to a player who just dropped in 30 in his last game (TDM).  Frankie Hughes played 29 minutes and Sincere played 34 just after surgery.  Wade didn't earn the 4 he got.  There is a huge drop off when he is in at a critical time in the game. 

Play both Sincere and TDM together more... both can shoot, both can drive, both can play defense better than any alternative combination. 

That said, the game changed big time after Kelly got hurt, particularly with the tacky fouls on Michael Hughes and Weathers.

The size and physicality of the Billiken guards caused big problems for TDM; was not a good situation to use him for more minutes.

3/07/2019 11:44 am  #54

Econ69 wrote:

If Kelly is out, I guess Taylor will be on the active roster.
Dukes become guard oriented now with only Hughes, Bizeau
and possibly Taylor as the bigs.

Don't forget Marcus Weathers.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/07/2019 12:07 pm  #55

It would definitely not make sense to burn Dylan’s redshirt at this point. While this loss would hurt (if Kelly can’t continue, he was back on the bench in uni during the game), you still have to look at the production we have got out of Kelly this year.

Kelly’s numbers for the entire year are:

10.6 minutes per game
30% free throw shooter (only 3-10)
2.1 points per game
2.1 rebounds per game
0.3 assists per game
1.1 turnovers per game
0.6 blocks per game

Aka not much production at all this year. I honestly thought Bizaue looked more fluid and stronger down low last night than Kelly has all season in what was really his first appearance all year in the low block. Between him and Kellon Taylor we should easily be able to make up the above production for the rest of the way. Either one of them can get those numbers. I understand playing the young guys over a KT to get development for the long term but KT can easily do that level of production or better NOW.

We still have the two starting bigs we have run out all season. All I’m saying is we have the cover for Kelly, and if we get knocked out of the tourney early it won’t be for a lack of interior depth.

3/07/2019 12:08 pm  #56

Coffee, I agree with you.  Carry can't play 34 + minutes consistently or we will not have him for three more years.  I still believe that if one scholarship opens up we should get the best point guard (combo guard)available.

3/07/2019 8:31 pm  #57

Duques102 wrote:

It would definitely not make sense to burn Dylan’s redshirt at this point. While this loss would hurt (if Kelly can’t continue, he was back on the bench in uni during the game), you still have to look at the production we have got out of Kelly this year.

Kelly’s numbers for the entire year are:

10.6 minutes per game
30% free throw shooter (only 3-10)
2.1 points per game
2.1 rebounds per game
0.3 assists per game
1.1 turnovers per game
0.6 blocks per game

Aka not much production at all this year. I honestly thought Bizaue looked more fluid and stronger down low last night than Kelly has all season in what was really his first appearance all year in the low block. Between him and Kellon Taylor we should easily be able to make up the above production for the rest of the way. Either one of them can get those numbers. I understand playing the young guys over a KT to get development for the long term but KT can easily do that level of production or better NOW.

We still have the two starting bigs we have run out all season. All I’m saying is we have the cover for Kelly, and if we get knocked out of the tourney early it won’t be for a lack of interior depth.

The problem with KT & Weathers is the same. They are both athletic, long, & strong but lack the height to compete against A-10 teams with more than one legit big. Mhughes is already undersized at 6'8". The two 6'5" gents just amplifies the challenge.

3/07/2019 9:34 pm  #58

As I have stated many times I am not impartial when it comes to KT!I truly believe that despite being only 6 5  and understanding Phil95 point I also believe that he plays bigger and last year was basically the 2nd best rebounder on the team.  And while I get him wanting to focus on football first and Coach Dambrot wanting to develop the younger players over KT, I think he is the option now and will do fine rebounding and defensively. I know that Spring practice begins Monday night but I think Coach Schmitt has been understanding all along with him playing hoops and will continue to be understanding in this case.

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (3/07/2019 9:36 pm)

3/07/2019 10:07 pm  #59

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

As I have stated many times I am not impartial when it comes to KT!I truly believe that despite being only 6 5  and understanding Phil95 point I also believe that he plays bigger and last year was basically the 2nd best rebounder on the team.  And while I get him wanting to focus on football first and Coach Dambrot wanting to develop the younger players over KT, I think he is the option now and will do fine rebounding and defensively. I know that Spring practice begins Monday night but I think Coach Schmitt has been understanding all along with him playing hoops and will continue to be understanding in this case.

KT had a ton of strong minutes last season in spot duty on a team strapped for size. He could bring brains, brawn, & intensity to this young group while giving the 2 starting bigs rest & helping to get through inevitable foul trouble. That seems like it would be a big help.

If he is needed for more than that, the Dukes are in trouble.

3/07/2019 10:28 pm  #60

Thanks for the response Phil95, agree with you and I know for sure he is not going to score much, but I think basically he can maintain the status quo in some areas and no big drop off  I personally would rank EW  and Hughes as the only clearly better rebounders but also recognize that the future is with the younger bigs. His future is to probably nove to a slot type TE in football. Thanks again

3/08/2019 12:27 am  #61

Game summary: TDM got bullied both with the ball and playing D, just not the right match up for him.  MH was the second coming of Chaz Brown missing one footers and foul shots and Marcus missed a lot down low as well.  SC is a tough nosed kid who is our most consistent scorer and player, but we need more consistency out of at least 2 more guys to be a conference contender.  Gavin needs to grab a rebound at 6'11" instead of tipping the ball in the air and my God he needs to hit the weight room.  AK injury hurt and killed our mojo, but our unforced TO's killed us all night especially in the first half.  We should have been up by 8 or 10 at halftime.  When TDM is not playing well and if KD likes Wade where was he?  If there is not confidence there then we need more true PG depth/recruiting.  EW was unbelievable, but I'd take 15 pts and 8 rebounds from him consistently versus the all world game and then the inconsistency.  Anyway, without Kelly we will have a difficult time against Dayton unless at least 3, maybe 4 of our guys have stellar games.  Lamar needs to penetrate more and do that spot up jumper as he has the ability, he just needs the confidence to do it.  We let one slip away and I am still aggravated, but Pistol will put the Smith & Wesson back in the holster for now.

Board footera